RUSSELL WILSON THREAD

paul-mac

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

Wilson will be almost 34 when he plays his first game as a Bronco.

Peyton Manning was 36 when he debuted for the team.

So, Wilson is only a solution for no more than slightly longer than Manning was. At some point Denver will have to keep looking towards the draft for a long-term solution at QB.

The biggest mistake from the Manning era was using a premium draft pick on a player who was of no use to the Manning era. I’ve got no problem using every asset we have to maximize the 4-5 year window we’ve got with Russ Wilson, and then dealing with the rebuild later.

56 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The biggest mistake from the Manning era was using a premium draft pick on a player who was of no use to the Manning era. I’ve got no problem using every asset we have to maximize the 4-5 year window we’ve got with Russ Wilson, and then dealing with the rebuild later.

Who was the useless player? I just cannot remember many people from those draft classes... Osweiller, Roby, Sly? Hmmm... Bolles? 

Look, Mina Kimes is just fine. Is she a go-to expert, no. Does she deserve all the crap she gets on social media, no. There’s definitely worse people at ESPN, however.  

But when you work for ESPN as a national sports (read, NBA, NFL and occasionally, college football/mens basketball) commentator, you can only do so much. I mean even a “legend” like Michael Wilbon still calls Nikola Jokic “Joke-a-vich” you can’t expect much as pertains to Denver sports. 

ESPN is all about hype and drama, hot takes, brand building and trending on social media. They’re a perfect fit to cover the joke that the NBA has become. 

As I said initially, the ESPN personalities, who are not journalists, are reacting to big news. I’d be surprised if before the Russ trade was announced yesterday, if any of them would have been able to name 5 players on the Broncos. I’d bet a big chuck of them, light in the eyes, couldn’t have named our GM or our HC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Assuming you’re talking about Oz, I was with you when that pick was made. I thought it would have been better to get another non-QB who could have helped us win then.

As it turns out, the Oz pick was smart - not only did he help us win some HUGE games in 2015 when a washed-up Peyton got hurt - if they would have retained him and paid him, the last few years could have looked a lot different. Maybe he busts, like he did after leaving here, but maybe, with a team and scheme he knew and with which he was familiar, he builds on the late year 2015 run and grows into at least a decent QB.

That said, had Oz stayed and been at least middling, and we don’t go through the Trevor/Keenum/Flacco/Lock/Teddy fiasco, we don’t sit here today with Russ. Almost like if we didn’t go through the McDisaster we wouldn’t have ended up with the Elway/Peyton four year elite run. 

Funny how things always work out in a roundabout way for this team. 

• Like 1

So, I'm still trying to figure out why the total hysteria regarding Russ. I'm serious. Is he an upgrade? Of course he is, no doubt there. Is he this shining HOF QB that will take us to a SB? No, he is not.

He was the 4th best QB in the NFC West and he'll be the 4th best in the AFC West. He's already taken more hits than most QB's do in a career. He's not a pocket passer and never has been. He needs his legs to get him to a passing lane. Actually, his legs have been the defining asset in his career. Great mobility and escapability. Always a threat to run and dangerous in the running game. He's got a world class arm, no denying that but his vision from the pocket is spotty at best. If he can't move he's screwed.

I'm a huge fan of his and have been since he came out. I was pounding the drum for us to draft him (along with our moderator) and was upset when we took OZ over Wilson.

That said, that was then, not now. 

We don't have anywhere near the talent to support him. We're pretty bad on the A gaps on both sides of the ball and no longer have the draft assets to correct that. I think our timing was horrible.

IMO this will go down as one of the worst trades in Bronco history, especially when our picks continue to be near the top of the board.

Anyway, I'll be as upbeat as I can this season but think we'll be cellar dwellers for quite a while now. I really hope I'm completely wrong but with a rookie coaching staff, a roster with huge holes on both lines and a QB on the downside of his career I don't see how the W/L record gets better.

Lets just hope I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Oz like AAA said helped win a Superbowl for us by getting the one seed. Still think we should of drafted Russ Wilson instead. If Qb ever becomes bpa like Wilson should of been back in 2012 I have no problem with Paton making the move.

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, I'm still trying to figure out why the total hysteria regarding Russ. I'm serious. Is he an upgrade? Of course he is, no doubt there. Is he this shining HOF QB that will take us to a SB? No, he is not.

He was the 4th best QB in the NFC West and he'll be the 4th best in the AFC West. He's already taken more hits than most QB's do in a career. He's not a pocket passer and never has been. He needs his legs to get him to a passing lane. Actually, his legs have been the defining asset in his career. Great mobility and escapability. Always a threat to run and dangerous in the running game. He's got a world class arm, no denying that but his vision from the pocket is spotty at best. If he can't move he's screwed.

I'm a huge fan of his and have been since he came out. I was pounding the drum for us to draft him (along with our moderator) and was upset when we took OZ over Wilson.

We don't have anywhere near the talent to support him. We're pretty bad on the A gaps on both sides of the ball and no longer have the draft assets to correct that. I think our timing was horrible.

IMO this will go down as one of the worst trades in Bronco history, especially when our picks continue to be near the top of the board.

Anyway, I'll be as upbeat as I can this season but think we'll be cellar dwellers for quite a while now. I really hope I'm completely wrong but with a rookie coaching staff, a roster with huge holes on both lines and a QB on the downside of his career I don't see how the W/L record gets better.

He had his highest completion percentage in 2020. Four of his five best years in passer rating have been the past 4 seasons. Outside of him getting a hand injury last year, there hasn't been much of any decline from Russ and he has developed his game into a rhythm passer rather than a QB who plays outside of the scheme.

I think you're massively underselling him, in truth. He's certainly more athletic than the average QB, but he isn't Lamar or Josh Allen - he's made plenty of HOF plays from inside the pocket in his career and he's really turned into a timing thrower the last few years.

Aaron Rodgers is 38 and still making plays on bootlegs; I don't see why Wilson can't continue to do that for many years.

As for the roster deficiency points - they become moot when you have a chance to acquire a HOF QB who you clearly believe has plenty of juice left. I get it, you don't think he does. But our decision makers clearly do and therefore you have to pull the trigger, no ifs buts or maybes.

People overrate picks so much. Surtain was as about as good as it gets as a pick in that region - what good did it do our Superbowl chances? None. Bradley Chubb was a #5 overall pick - what good did it do our Superbowl chances? None. You need a QB, and we've swung for the fence on ours. We're in such a tough division that it might not work out. But we will, without a single shred of doubt in my mind, be competitive in every single Football game that Russell Wilson plays for us. That is worth the picks alone.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Assuming you’re talking about Oz, I was with you when that pick was made. I thought it would have been better to get another non-QB who could have helped us win then.

As it turns out, the Oz pick was smart - not only did he help us win some HUGE games in 2015 when a washed-up Peyton got hurt - if they would have retained him and paid him, the last few years could have looked a lot different. Maybe he busts, like he did after leaving here, but maybe, with a team and scheme he knew and with which he was familiar, he builds on the late year 2015 run and grows into at least a decent QB.

That said, had Oz stayed and been at least middling, and we don’t go through the Trevor/Keenum/Flacco/Lock/Teddy fiasco, we don’t sit here today with Russ. Almost like if we didn’t go through the McDisaster we wouldn’t have ended up with the Elway/Peyton four year elite run. 

Funny how things always work out in a roundabout way for this team. 

Didn’t need to use a 2nd round pick for a backup QB to give us two good games in 2015 (one against the dog**** Bears). A decent free agent would’ve done just fine. Three of the 5 picks after Osweiler went on to multi all-pro careers, which I think would’ve been more useful than a 62% comp, 10-6 TD/INT stretch of 8 games. 

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He had his highest completion percentage in 2020. Four of his five best years in passer rating have been the past 4 seasons. Outside of him getting a hand injury last year, there hasn't been much of any decline from Russ and he has developed his game into a rhythm passer rather than a QB who plays outside of the scheme.

I think you're massively underselling him, in truth. He's certainly more athletic than the average QB, but he isn't Lamar or Josh Allen - he's made plenty of HOF plays from inside the pocket in his career and he's really turned into a timing thrower the last few years.

Aaron Rodgers is 38 and still making plays on bootlegs; I don't see why Wilson can't continue to do that for many years.

As for the roster deficiency points - they become moot when you have a chance to acquire a HOF QB who you clearly believe has plenty of juice left. I get it, you don't think he does. But our decision makers clearly do and therefore you have to pull the trigger, no ifs buts or maybes.

People overrate picks so much. Surtain was as about as good as it gets as a pick in that region - what good did it do our Superbowl chances? None. Bradley Chubb was a #5 overall pick - what good did it do our Superbowl chances? None. You need a QB, and we've swung for the fence on ours. We're in such a tough division that it might not work out. But we will, without a single shred of doubt in my mind, be competitive in every single Football game that Russell Wilson plays for us. That is worth the picks alone.

One more time: tied with Aaron Rodgers as the best rhythm passer in the game over the last 3 seasons. You put this guy in an offence where he doesn’t need to play hero ball, just see-field-throw-ball, and you’ve got a superstar. If Hackett can scheme Jeudy-Sutton-Patrick open (which, if he can’t, he shouldn’t be an NFL coach), then a top 10 offence is our floor.

And speaking of scheming Jeudy open, I forget where I read it (probably the twitter), but he led the NFL in separation per target in 2021. Nobody was more open when the ball came his way, which tells us two things: 1. elite separation skills, obviously, and 2. our QB’s didn’t look at him unless he was WIDE open. Russ isn’t afraid of tight windows, so I’m expecting a Doug Jeudy feast over the next few seasons.

• Like 3

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Woke up today and my football team isn’t the desperate guy at the bar at 2 AM looking at Jimmy G and Marcus Mariota thinking “Maybe”. Feels great. 

Exactly. Like I have said, this is worth the picks alone. 

ONE team wins the Superbowl. I despair when people say, "Superbowl or bust". Really? That's ridiculous. 

The feeling of thinking we can win against any team in any stadium is worth those picks without a shadow of a doubt for me. We will be favourite in every single home game. How many teams can say that?

Soak it in, guys. We're back in the game. No team is going to want to play us let me tell you. Does that mean we will win it all? No. I repeat - ONE teams the Superbowl. Just enjoy the fact we can win any game and the bookies won't have us as any more than +5 in any game this season.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, AKRNA said:

There’s a lot I think is wrong here but wanted to focus on the idea that they can now no longer address issues on the interior lines because they can’t get the two guys you specifically wanted and may have never picked anyway. That’s not true. Run stuffers and interior OL are not high value positions in the draft, and you can certainly find them in the late Day 2-early Day 3 range, the same part of the draft where Paton took Meinerz, Browning and Sterns who all look like they have bright futures in Denver. I realize you wanted to pick Jordan Davis with the #9 pick but that would have been a terrible use of resources. He played about 10-15 snaps per game in college and has shown nothing as a pass rusher despite the athletic traits. You do not spend top 10 picks on part time players.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1