Bears trade Mack to LAC for 2nd & 2023 6th

Madmike90

This one kind of says it all about why it really needed to be now. We got a real asset for a player on his back 9 being paid like he’s the premier edge rusher in the league. He’s not, and he’s starting to break down. 

People are talking about this like it’s a white flag for 2022, and I don’t see it that way. Signaling of a change? Sure, definitely. More benefit beyond 2022 than in 2022? No question. Are we competing to win the SB this year outside of year 2 Fields being an MVP candidate? Almost certainly not. But:

-We played half of last year without Mack, and it wasn’t bad despite having USFL level play from half of our secondary. Gipson wasn’t just adequate as a starter in Mack’s absence. He was pretty good. And he’s paid just above the minimum for the next 2 seasons. 

-We can dip into the massive 2023 cap savings now with any extensions (Roquan?) and when FA starts next week. That freedom opens up significantly what we can do to reshape the team for this season.

-We now have an additional top 50 pick to add a potential high upside day 1 starter making peanuts for the next 4 years, which (if it hits) will make the cap savings stretch even farther.

Now, I’m not delusional. I don’t think this move probably makes us appreciably better in 2022. I don’t, however, think that it necessarily means we’ll be appreciably worse either once we factor in what losing Mack now means we can add this offseason that we couldn’t have otherwise.

Regardless of how 2022 plays out, kudos to Poles for having the balls to make the unpopular move he thinks is for the best long term outlook of the team. It’s a refreshing change. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

This one kind of says it all about why it really needed to be now. We got a real asset for a player on his back 9 being paid like he’s the premier edge rusher in the league. He’s not, and he’s starting to break down. 

People are talking about this like it’s a white flag for 2022, and I don’t see it that way. Signaling of a change? Sure, definitely. More benefit beyond 2022 than in 2022? No question. Are we competing to win the SB this year outside of year 2 Fields being an MVP candidate? Almost certainly not. But:

-We played half of last year without Mack, and it wasn’t bad despite having USFL level play from half of our secondary. Gipson wasn’t just adequate as a starter in Mack’s absence. He was pretty good. And he’s paid just above the minimum for the next 2 seasons. 

-We can dip into the massive 2023 cap savings now with any extensions (Roquan?) and when FA starts next week. That freedom opens up significantly what we can do to reshape the team for this season.

-We now have an additional top 50 pick to add a potential high upside day 1 starter making peanuts for the next 4 years, which (if it hits) will make the cap savings stretch even farther.

Now, I’m not delusional. I don’t think this move probably makes us appreciably better in 2022. I don’t, however, think that it necessarily means we’ll be appreciably worse either once we factor in what losing Mack now means we can add this offseason that we couldn’t have otherwise.

Regardless of how 2022 plays out, kudos to Poles for having the balls to make the unpopular move he thinks is for the best long term outlook of the team. It’s a refreshing change. 

Great post. I totally co-sign. 👍🏾

• Like 1

Well, I was going to post a mock tomorrow, but that’s all shot to hell now

With plenty to still figure out about this roster (Do we have a True #1 Receiver? Do we have a LT or does he need to be elsewhere on the line? Do we have a playmaker at TE?) I wouldn’t be surprised to see us still be conservative this off-season. Taking low risk gambles on guys who could still break out, not committing a ton of guaranteed dollars to 2023/2024, maybe even playing the Compensatory pick game one time to accrue extra draft capital for the 2023 draft. Which also comes with digging for gold in the discarded veteran pile to fill out the rooster 

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Poles is building the team the right way. Biggest question that remains is can he possibly rebuild this roster before Fields’ rookie deal is over?

4 years from now the salary cap will be like $270M. I think the rookie deal thing for QBs at that point will be less of a factor than it is now. Not a nothing, but there’ll be enough wiggle room that it won’t keep us from doing what we want. Especially if Poles is able to hold to his plan and keep the team stocked with talent via the draft. 

• Like 2

I read a bunch of articles these last few weeks about the possibility of trading Mack, but thought there was no way they’d do it.  So when i saw the espn notification today i was completely taken aback.

I guess it’s one of those brain vs heart type things.  I still remember exactly where i was and how i felt when i saw that they traded for Mack a few years ago.  At that moment I, like many others I’m sure, envisioned him being here for 8-10 years and being enshrined in the HOF as the next in a long line of great Chicago Bear linebackers.

But after taking some time I realize that future wasn’t really likely.  He’s breaking down a bit, on the wrong side of 30, making a TON of money, on a talent deficient team with little draft capital and a new coach and GM.  Should’ve expected moves like this one.  So i get it and i respect Poles for pulling the trigger.  It’s the ole “better to get rid of him a year early than a year late” motto.  

Wish Mack nothing but the best with that Chargers squad.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Ryan Pace traded for Mack at a time when we were much further than an elite pass rusher away from being a contender.

Ryan Poles trades Mack away because we’re still much further than an elite pass rusher away from being a contender.

Beautifully put.

• Like 2

The Ryan Pace Method

Mortgage the future, make a bunch of bad short term moves, in the hope of winning 8-9 games and getting into the playoffs as the 7th seed to get your teeth kicked in by a real team and hopefully save your job.

That’s not competing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Ryan Pace traded for Mack at a time when we were much further than an elite pass rusher away from being a contender.

Ryan Poles trades Mack away because we’re still much further than an elite pass rusher away from being a contender.

To be fair, the Mack move was a calculated gamble that Mitch was going to be a franchise QB. If he had been then things with Mack would possibly have turned out far differently and we probably don’t trade him today.

Had Pace understood that once Mitch was a miss that that potential championship window was closed and acted accordingly he might still have a job (ideally not, but maybe). Alas, he couldn’t, and he’s gone.

Poles’ immediate recognition both that his job is to create the next potential championship window rather than trying to salvage the closed one and that Mack was more valuable in helping to create that window by being sent elsewhere for draft capital and cap space is extremely nice to see.

Now we just have to hope he’s got a better hit rate than his predecessor. 

• Like 2

By getting another 2nd round pick Poles has given himself a ton of flexibility in this draft...if a top prospect falls out the 1st round we are in position at #39 to take them...if it's someone who doesn't fit what we need then it is a prime trade down opportunity...then you also have the fall back that if you do trade way down you still get that mid 2nd pick...or after taking the top prospect at #39 you still have a way of amassing more draft capital...it's a really smart approach...

Ideally IMO trade out of #39 to gain more capital in this and possibly even next year's draft then take the best receiver at #48 after filling some holes on the interior OL in FA.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Ideally IMO trade out of #39 to gain more capital in this and possibly even next year's draft then take the best receiver at #48 after filling some holes on the interior OL in FA.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if we traded back from one of our 2nd rounders to add another pick in round 3/4.