Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

10 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

I think it's funny people instantly write off Julio. He's an all time talent and for the right price he'd be a big get. He's not what he was but he's still far better than anything we currently have at wr

He was basically injured or MIA all last season with Tennessee.  How much you willing to give him?  Do tell.

I think this is a good move for everyone

DA gets mega paid

GB saves money (20M on the cap) and gets 2 top 53 picks.

I personally think paying a 29 year old position player 29M a year is extremely dumb, so I'm happy about this. In an ideal world, you sign a Fuller/Landry and take 2 wrs in the first 2 rounds now, and you are fine.

55 minutes ago, Chili said:

Don't overthink this. Bring back MVS. Big, fast, 27 years old, knows the system.

Bring in proven NFL WR #2 in Juju. Excellent hands - capable of racking up 100+ catch seasons, 25 years old.

Supported by Lazard, 26 years old, solid blocker, excellent hands, reliable 3rd down target.

Cobb in the room as the grizzly veteran and culture guy and there will be a talented high draft pick hanging around learning the ropes.

I think we can survive one season with this make up of players.

1. MVS
  2. 2nd FA or trade vet WR+
  3. Lazard
  4. Cobb
  5. High Draft pick
  6. Amari
  7. Winfree/3rd-day-pick/practice-squad-guys

Yeah, not great, but can win a lot of regular-season games with that.  How good depends on if you draft well; maybe you realize by December that your high draft pick might be a Greg Jennings or a Jefferson.  Would also depend on whether the 2nd vet is actually quite good, or is more a JAG.  

Limited cash left, though, got to cut corners somewhere? 

1. Rasul
  2. MVS
  3. 2nd FA or trade vet WR+
  4. TE [Hooper, for example, and/or Tonyan)
  5. Secondary:  Sullivan or King or somebody to replace them...
  6. 3rd OLB
  7. D-lineman

Can't pay for all of those spots.  Have to roll with draft picks or UDFA for some of those targets.  Perhaps the 2nd WR, who knows.  

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

When you see numbers fall off drastically two years in row it's going to raise some red flags.  If it's a minimum deal with incentives I'd take a shot, but I would want to count on him to be my #1 option.

I'm not saying there is no reason to be concerned but on a cheap one year prove it deal it can certainly pay off. 

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

Which might be horse **** and not true. Who knows

Adams definitely wanted to play in Vegas, that's where his Mom lives and its where his charming bride wants to live
On Davante's side, he grew up a Raider fan just like we grew up as Packer fans. The Packers contract offers only had one purpose - and that was to drive up the price the Raiders would pay.

He wasn't coming back regardless of what GB offered.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I get the sense DA was tired of the drama in GB with his QB and was ready to move on for the myriad of other reasons discussed already.  There’s an opportunity here for Gute to really shine in this situation, or not.  We’ll see.

Between Love and now the Adams trade you have to admit the guy has testicular fortitude. So far I'm really a fan. I'm excited to see what he will do with this draft capital. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What are you talking about?

"packers will not tag and trade players; they don't do this anymore" - is something you consistently said for 5 years every time the idea was brought up.

Unless I'm mixing you up, then my apologies.  But if I'm not and you deny it, trust that I'm gonna do some searching

15 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Maybe you want to live in Nevada ...  not me and there are more than you think who disagree with you.  You are correct on the no income tax though.

Davante Adams lives in the best zip code in one of the most desirable places to live on Earth. I know because I live just a few blocks from him. Summerlin, specifically the Ridges, is an amazing location just 15 minutes from the Strip.  🙂

• Like 1

44 pages and counting.  Can't believe no one is talking about the big news anymore -- moving on from Bojorquez for O'Donnell.

O'Donnell is probably pissed his big decision has been hijacked in the national media by trivial matters...and everything else is a trivial matter

Just now, skibrett15 said:

"packers will not tag and trade players; they don't do this anymore" - is something you consistently said for 5 years every time the idea was brought up.

Unless I'm mixing you up, then my apologies.  But if I'm not and you deny it, trust that I'm gonna do some searching

I sincerely doubt I said that.  I may have said it was very unlikely, because it only usually occurs when negotiations have been exhausted.  I can tell you that the Packers didn't franchise tag him with the with the sole intention of trading him, which is something I probably said.  Context matters significantly in this situation.  Franchise tagging players with the sole intent of trading them is bad for business, but when they're legitimately trying to negotiate a long-term deal but the player doesn't want to be there then that's normal.  Davante Adams got what he wanted, which was to play with the Raiders and be the highest paid WR.  The Packers got enough value to justify dealing him.  Everyone won in this situation.

Don't make the mistake of thinking MVS is a #1 WR.  

He is good in his role as a decoy and a situational pass catcher, but he isn't a guy you can go to consistently.  He can't get open on any given play.  

I hope they bring him back but in a role that he can handle.  I'm not sure he's a #2 when it comes to a balanced passing attack.