Eagles legend Frank Gore to retire

Forge

19 minutes ago, braylon said:

Frank Gore was a Top 5 RB at times throughout the early days of his career. 2006, statistically, for sure.

That was about the only time where I think he was considered a top 5 guy, and it was brief. 

I recall the top 4 from then with the only consistent thing being LT was at the top.

LT
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore
Brian Westbrook

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

Always been a big fan of Gore. He was a big reason I rooted for SF in that SB.

My reasoning was the opposite. I rooted for the Ravens because Ed Reed was toward the absolute end of his career while it was obvious Gore would keep going. Either way it was one Cane rewarded and the other denied. When the 49ers were rallying I was telling myself I could rationalize that also. But I was thrilled the way it worked out. 

The world never saw the best of Frank Gore. He was an all time legend in Dade County high school football. Everyone who followed the Canes closely knew he was far superior to Willis McGahee or Clinton Portis or the others from that era. He was robbed of speed by the two back to back devastating ACL injuries in college. 

Gore will make the Hall of Fame but it will require a wait. The influential voters will push for him, partially because his instincts between the tackles are considered among the best ever. I have seen numerous coaches and scouts rave about that, saying they almost defy belief when watched from All 22. There is a clip of a wide eyed Jim Harbaugh saying Gore's instincts were almost Zen like. Something like that.

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If he retired after 2014, he's a Hall of Famer. People just view his career negatively post SF because he was an average player. But that's because he stayed in the league too long and I'm not sure he should be punished for that.

The man's seven year prime of 2006-2012 can compete with almost any RB's prime. And seven years is already a long long time for a RB. 

During that 7 year prime “that can compete with almost any RBs prime” how many times was he ever considered the best RB? Or even top 3?

The piling up of yards the last 7 years has absolutely been instrumental in his case 

He had longevity and consistency at a position that, in his time, you didn't have anywhere. To me, he is a hall of famer. There are places in the hall for guys like him. Nobody has played more games at RB than him, and he maintained a career 4.3 YPC mark on his way to 16000 yards. For comparison, Walter Payton maintained 4.4 over 16700. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

2006 Frank Gore would've been the best RB that year had LT not had 28(!!!!!!) touchdowns. I completely forgot about that season from LT and just how insanely legendary he was that year.

Gore had his season with a much weaker team that rarely played with a lead.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

2006 Frank Gore would've been the best RB that year had LT not had 28(!!!!!!) touchdowns. I completely forgot about that season from LT and just how insanely legendary he was that year.

Yeah, I feel like people forget he was an elite back that year.