Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's the idea of a hold in, but again, at some point that comes due. Thats one of those things that ugly enough to end up in arbitration for the NFL if he tries to take it the entire way. At some point, this stuff does blow back because like the 49ers docs clear him at some point. Sit out the whole season? Great, now you have 2 of your last three seasons you're out with injury and have an extensive history dating all the way back to college. Or you have attitude problems, etc. Oh, and you want to play somewhere specific and teams can lowball a contract offer to you.  OH...and the niners can still tag you. At some point, you're just hurting yourself and not getting anywhere. 

If other teams know the real deal that SF didn't want to trade him to his preferred destination, I'm sure that team would understand and look past the 2022 " injury"

If SF tags Deebo next year and he still wanted out, I don't think that becomes a good look for SF relative to potentially signing outside FA

Maybe winning the battle vs Deebo but losing out on other potential FA is a trade SF is willing to risk.  Whatever winning a situation vs a disgruntled player is worth in short/ long term.

Deebo can actually get his wish if he shuts up and plays ball, you know what I mean? He tells the niners "I want to be here or here" but not advertise it and the 49ers can use a team like Green Bay as leverage against the Jets / Lions whomever and still take the deal of hte team he wants to go to. 

If it got to this, there is possibly/probably something more that we don't know.  

There has been no indication that he's searching for a specific location either, and we know the niners aren't going to advertise that (Lets not forget that Vegas appears to have been the destination that Adams wanted and that doesn't appear to have impact his trade value). 

Correct, but was it overtly known that Adams wanted to be traded?  I hadn't heard that until the trade happened.  That is part of my initial thought that Adams and hill ( to my understanding) didn't openly/ publicly make it known they wanted out, thus the compensation was high.

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If SF tags Deebo next year and he still wanted out, I don't think that becomes a good look for SF relative to potentially signing outside FA

Ordinarily, I agree with this sentiment and don't believe teams will get petty like that. There's a reason malcontents get traded.  It does nobody any good to hold him hostage That goes out the window if the player fires the first shot and tries to make it difficult on the team and messes with the value. Then it really doesn't even matter, its not like the teamm is losing any real trade value. At that point,  I think all bets are off. 

The 49ers have shown a willingness time and again to pay top dollar for people that they want...generally speaking I still think that is the most important factor for free agents. Second may whether or not the team is competitive, which is also a box that they (currently) check. 

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If it got to this, there is possibly/probably something more that we don't know.  

Honestly, there's a ton we don't know, which is what makes it fun to speculate on and talk about. I still believe that this is primarily a money issue, but the additional wrinkles are fun. 

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If other teams know the real deal that SF didn't want to trade him to his preferred destination, I'm sure that team would understand and look past the 2022 " injury"

Yeah, but now you're a malcontent who will only play in certain areas which allows teams to low ball the hell out of you. 

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Correct, but was it overtly known that Adams wanted to be traded?  I hadn't heard that until the trade happened.  That is part of my initial thought that Adams and hill ( to my understanding) didn't openly/ publicly make it known they wanted out, thus the compensation was high.

No, though he did buy a house in Vegas like 3 weeks before (still a hilarious report given subsequent reports), so it's possible that was going on longer than we knew. 

Hill got permission to be traded and as far as we know only two teams were in on him and I don't think it hurt his value. BEing the highest paid WR in NFL history is probably no different as a limiting factor than a non singular specified geography tbh. It's all about how many teams are still going to be involved. 

I don't think that this is going to get uglier than it is right now. If we are to the point where trade is the only viable solution, I think that both parties are just going to shut up and go about their business, the 49ers will get their offers from multiple teams (likely first) and then maybe present them to Deebo or something and go from there. 

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Would the Niners take Kadarius Toney and 36 for Deebo? I don't think the Giants are/would be in on him at all, this is just my curiosity.

I would say there is zero chance the niners have an interest in Toney.

The off field issues are real, Kyle's scheme is extremely complicated for WRs, it requires an absurd attention to detail. Toney hasnt even picked up a playbook this offseason. 

Toney isnt that guy. Physical traits only get you so far in the NFL. 

Hard pass from the niners with Toney. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:
4 hours ago, Forge said:

Deebo doesn't want to be in CA

Deebo doesn't want to get paid  in CA...which is why he's headed to someplace with no state income tax
Florida for example. I think I just read about some cap-opening moves down there

I am fairly certain that roster/signing bonuses get taxed in the state you are living in when you get paid. Meaning if Deebo gets a large roster bonus during the offseason while he is living in florida, he will not pay CA state income tax on that bonus. 

So, I do not think the CA taxes should be a factor considering he lives in FL in the offseason. 

8 minutes ago, N4L said:

I am fairly certain that roster/signing bonuses get taxed in the state you are living in when you get paid. Meaning if Deebo gets a large roster bonus during the offseason while he is living in florida, he will not pay CA state income tax on that bonus. 

So, I do not think the CA taxes should be a factor considering he lives in FL in the offseason. 

if that is the case, ( and I have nothing to go on that would say differently to what you are saying), the issue may be how the structure of an initial offer.  

issues  that may/may not be in play

• money
    • apy
    • structure
    • guarantees
  • usage
  • team location
  • relationship with others
    • HC
    • OC
    • QB
    • other

17 minutes ago, N4L said:

Heh. That is my understanding

3 hours ago, Forge said:

That's when you just get paid in bonuses every year and only do the vet minimum as base salary lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Keep in mind, if the team then NFI's him, they often only end up paying a portion of the salary. In the past, that has been as little as 30%, I believe. Almost certain Deebo woudl be NFI'd in that instance. 

I'm sure that there is a way around that (maybe he "pretends" to practice and pulls a hammy and says that is where he got hurt? I don't know...), but again, getting murkier and murkier and crazier and crazier lol 

That's exactly what he would do. He will be attending the Williams / Ramsey School of Excuse Making. Pretty popular school these days with current athletes. 

Just now, squire12 said:

@Forge would that be enough in compensation?

It'd be the highest pick ever given for a receiver in the modern era under the rookie wage scale and is worth more than the entirety of the Adams and Hill trades by pick value 

If that's not enough, I don't know what the hell they could be looking for

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:28 AM, ET80 said:

I have a closet full of Deshaun Watson merchandise that says otherwise...

See... this is why I haven't worn QB name apparel since Jim Everett.

Note: I very, very narrowly avoided the fate of buying a Jared Goff jersey.  (Irony is that the jersey I bought instead was a Kupp jersey... on his first number... which he promptly switched the season after.)

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 1

To be honest, unless they flip #10 for multiple picks next year and down the road, that's not great "value" for a bonafide superstar. You could hope that you hit on the pick, but I think too much value is put on individual picks sometimes. This is a good example of that IMO. 

Which one player from this draft would you trade Deebo Samuel straight up for? I honestly cant think of one. 

• Like 4