49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade

RaidersAreOne

If that is legitimately the issue at hand...it's going to be kind of stupid if we end up trading him unless we simply do not believe in his talent as a standalone wide receiver. 

This whole thing is freaking weird. 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

If that is legitimately the issue at hand...it's going to be kind of stupid if we end up trading him unless we simply do not believe in his talent as a standalone wide receiver. 

Yeah but damn is it entertaining. Next offseason we’ll be talking about how Bosa deleted the niners off of his MySpace page 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

I have Watson much, much lower. I'd be okay with taking him at 61 and still wouldn't love it. 

I can understand. Not a lot of tape. Running offense even then. Drops.

I thought super highly of him last year watching the Trey Lance tape. He's so explosive to accelerate and change directions and had the sixth gear most guys don't. Crazy fluid for his height. The testing numbers confirm. He's a nuts athlete on the near Calvin Johnson level. You can worry a bit about the drops on tape - for me they were concentration drops made more severe by the small sample size. You can worry about press coverage. But I feel very strongly he'll separate when clean. He killed folks at the senior bowl. He's more a tall Jameson Williams or Jaylen Waddle or Brandon Cooks or Will Fuller than your stiff straight line 4.3 types like Marques Valdez-Scantling. I like him a lot. I get the risk. I just think that the agility and burst gives him a higher floor than given credit for and he has a nuttily high ceiling for the expected draft position.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think its more is pure WR Deebo a 20-25 mil a year player. His value is getting the ball in his hands quick and letting him go off. I don't think using him as RB is ideal outside of a play here of there but he also shouldn't be a "Pure" WR because you lose some of that skill on end arounds and orbits.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

What's funny is that when Tyreek was traded to Miami he was talking about being excited to do some of the stuff that Deebo did here last year. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GW21 said:

What's funny is that when Tyreek was traded to Miami he was talking about being excited to do some of the stuff that Deebo did here last year. 

Yeah, because true playmakers want the ball no matter how they get it, Deebo apparently doesn’t want that. He isn’t a top 5WR based on that skill alone, therefore, he ain’t worth all that money.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Suddenly, Deebo doesn't want to do it. Ironically, we won't be using anyone that way nearly as often with the new QB... smh

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I can understand. Not a lot of tape. Running offense even then. Drops.

I thought super highly of him last year watching the Trey Lance tape. He's so explosive to accelerate and change directions and had the sixth gear most guys don't. Crazy fluid for his height. The testing numbers confirm. He's a nuts athlete on the near Calvin Johnson level. You can worry a bit about the drops on tape - for me they were concentration drops made more severe by the small sample size. You can worry about press coverage. But I feel very strongly he'll separate when clean. He killed folks at the senior bowl. He's more a tall Jameson Williams or Jaylen Waddle or Brandon Cooks or Will Fuller than your stiff straight line 4.3 types like Marques Valdez-Scantling. I like him a lot. I get the risk. I just think that the agility and burst gives him a higher floor than given credit for and he has a nuttily high ceiling for the expected draft position.

Plus, he got his contested catch rate up to the high level you’d expect given the tools. His yards per route run is an absolute bananas 4.33. Jameson Williams as the kill shot guy in Alabama’s offense was about 3. Chris Olave and most other good players of that ilk were in the 2s. Don’t doubt that he murdered his competition when given the chance. 

Also for me if the usage part is just about being lined up at RB and rushing fromt there i think it is something that can be resolved. If its more outside of that in what he has to do from the WR spot i think that won't ever change with Kyle and neither should you cater to one player so much. That would be like Kittle saying he doesn't want to block as much. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think its more is pure WR Deebo a 20-25 mil a year player. His value is getting the ball in his hands quick and letting him go off. I don't think using him as RB is ideal outside of a play here of there but he also shouldn't be a "Pure" WR because you lose some of that skill on end arounds and orbits.

End arounds and such are part and parcel of playing WR though.

Just don't put him in the backfield.

2 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

End arounds and such are part and parcel of playing WR though.

Just don't put him in the backfield.

As a special one or two times a game sure and even then not for most of the top top receivers. Before this year he had a lot of those touch passes and other types behind the LOS not just endarounds. If he is complaining about those two i don't think he has a future with the team. If its just about being used as a pure RB on a few plays a game yeah i think its something that can be worked on but also if your active RB's go down do you really not put him there because he has been a diva about it. The weirdest thing to me is everything he did and said during the season he was all for it and then now(probably with his agent yapping in his ear about how its bad for longevity) its the biggest problem there is. 

• Like 1

Vish has a great point here.

I can see where Deebo would do anything the team asked of him, then paraag saying "well, you are part RB so we are going to blend WR/RB contracts to pay you less" would be something that would cause deebo not to pick up the phone when paraag calls back

• Like 2