49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade

RaidersAreOne

Just now, GW21 said:

Just going to put this here. When was the last time we honored a trade request? Obviously the big one that sticks out is T.O., but there has to have been more since then.

I wonder if in the end, do we give him a clause in his contract that say if he has x amount of carries or x amount of kick off returns, he'll get x amount at the end of the year?

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Just going to put this here. When was the last time we honored a trade request? Obviously the big one that sticks out is T.O., but there has to have been more since then.

I'm not sure how comparable their situation was to Deebo though. Much bigger contract and potential compensation on the table. I think Mostert just thought he could get a decent contract elsewhere and quickly realised that wasn't the case.  And Gould is 'just' the kicker and I think he wanted to go back to Chicago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I wonder if in the end, do we give him a clause in his contract that say if he has x amount of carries or x amount of kick off returns, he'll get x amount at the end of the year?

It’s possible, but after seeing Deebo’s response yesterday it doesn’t seem like it’s about usage to me. This seems more personal to me for whatever reason. Maybe we tried to tie his pay to his availability based on his history of missing time and that pissed him off. I wish we could get some more details about what exactly led to this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

It’s possible, but after seeing Deebo’s response yesterday it doesn’t seem like it’s about usage to me. This seems more personal to me for whatever reason. Maybe we tried to tie his pay to his availability based on his history of missing time and that pissed him off. I wish we could get some more details about what exactly led to this.

Maybe he doesn't want to play with Lance? or maybe he just wants to go back to the east coast but yeah it would be nice to really know what is going on....

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So maybe Deebo plays out his contract and then goes where he wants to next year. I don’t think the team will tag him. That or Lynch will have to cave a little bit on what he wants in return. 

9 minutes ago, StevenK said:

So maybe Deebo plays out his contract and then goes where he wants to next year. I don’t think the team will tag him. That or Lynch will have to cave a little bit on what he wants in return. 

So just let Deebo walk for nothing? Absolutely not, he's definitely getting tagged if he doesn't a long-term deal this offseason. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Most issues are money related or can be solved with money.

I still think this issue is mostly money related as well. Deebo is a fiery, heart on your sleeve type so not surprising the optics have looked worse than Warner and kittle, but wouldn't be surprised if it's ultimately the same end result

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Most issues are money related or can be solved with money.

I still think this issue is mostly money related as well. Deebo is a fiery, heart on your sleeve type so not surprising the optics have looked worse than Warner and kittle, but wouldn't be surprised if it's ultimately the same end result

I do think it probably does have to do with money or some protection we built into the contract for ourselves. I wouldn’t be shocked if we put in stipulations that paid him for the number of games he was active and that pissed him off.

I’m not a contract guru by any means, but I know we did that with Sherman. I also can see how that’d make him mad. If he’s going to continue his wide back role and take that pounding, I’m sure he feels like he shouldn’t be punished for missing a few games. In a sense, we can’t have it both ways: either pay him without stipulations for games played and use him however you want, or only play him at receiver and add in those stipulations. 

Of course this is all just conjecture on my part.

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So just let Deebo walk for nothing? Absolutely not, he's definitely getting tagged if he doesn't a long-term deal this offseason. 

No, don’t let him walk, but I’m saying u can’t ask for a kings ransom and veto everything. You let him play out his contract and if u played him correctly, which seems to be part of the concern, you pay him. Granted everything that’s been put out has made this issue seem to be a personal problem rather than monetary, but who knows now. 

3 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

Maybe sit down with him and try and work it out..

You don't think they are trying to do that? I think they have been...it's tough when the other side won't pick up the phone. Perhaps they lowballed him, I don't know. But nothing can be resolved when one side won't talk. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/deebo-samuels-trade-request-puts-49ers-difficult-position

The 49ers seemed confident they would be able to get a deal done with Samuel because the parameters had been set. He was budgeted for a deal somewhere in the $22 million to $24 million annual range.

But before the sides even entered into serious negotiations, something happened that derailed the 49ers’ plan.

This story wasn't very helpful, really. Deebo just seems really out of character here for some reason...  Sure would like to know what happened and why it hasn't been resolved. Both sides need to be adults and actually speak to one another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This story wasn't very helpful, really. Deebo just seems really out of character here for some reason...  Sure would like to know what happened and why it hasn't been resolved. Both sides need to be adults and actually speak to one another.

Don't get me wrong, if I was unhappy with how things were going I would probably be pissed and complain about it to my circle, but all this public stuff seems pretty unprofessional. It seems like his brother let the cat out of the bag, but then Deebo kind of doubled down on it. 

• Like 2