Jump to content

49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade


Recommended Posts

https://theathletic.com/3261994/2022/04/20/kawakami-deebo-samuels-perfect-salary-squeeze-the-49ers-practical-options-and-my-awkward-compromise-suggestion/?source=twittered

Here’s the major issue: It’s Shanahan’s decision to use Deebo so much as a running back late last season that makes him so immensely valuable to the 49ers’ offense, but it’s the same thing that puts a heavier toll on his body and could reduce his career longevity. He’s worth a ton of money playing wide back, but how long can Samuel, now 26, sustain this level while taking all those hits?

I’m told that the 49ers have some doubts about Samuel maintaining this kind of value deep into a long-term contract. He came to camp overweight in his second season. He’s had some injuries. He’s certainly not the kind of taller, rangier WR who often has a longer prime (such as Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald). At Deebo’s most valuable, he runs through people just as much as he runs away from them.

There is immense value in this. I believe the 49ers eventually would’ve been willing to pay Deebo $21-22 million a year and a guarantee in the $40-50 million range. But from an actuarial view, you can see why the 49ers would possibly view Deebo’s future a little more skeptically into 2025 and 2026 than they would for Nick Bosa (also due a contract extension), Williams or Warner. It’s more than a little cold-hearted, especially because Shanahan is the one putting Deebo in that situation on the field. But it’s logical.

Remember, Deebo is signed to a $4 million contract for the 2022 season. What if, to bring him on board for 2022, the 49ers offer to guarantee him $25 million this season and agree not to franchise tag him after that?

That’s not what Deebo wants, because he wants the big money now. But if he holds out and the 49ers don’t budge, he’d lose a year of his career in the middle of his prime and he still wouldn’t be a free agent. And though paying Deebo top-of-market money for even one year isn’t the 49ers’ style, bringing him for one year would help Lance, would help the offense and might be the only way the 49ers remain a Super Bowl contender.

Both sides want to win this year, right? Deebo helps them win, maybe more than any other current player on the team with the possible exception of Bosa or Williams. What if the 49ers and Deebo accept that they’re eventually headed for a divorce but agree that they can stay together for one more season, at a very nice price? Then once the season’s over, so is the relationship.

Yes, that could be awkward. I have zero confidence that either side would embrace or agree to it. Both might say I’m crazy for even suggesting it. But the 49ers did something similarly awkward by acquiring Lance last year but keeping Garoppolo as the starter. Maybe keeping Deebo around for just one more year would work. And oh yes, if the 49ers pay Deebo $25 million in 2022, they would absolutely have to release Garoppolo outright. Guess what his 2022 salary is: $24.2 million.

Deebo could be upset about not getting long-term money. Shanahan and Lynch could be simmering that they had to do this in public, under this kind of pressure, after they proved they’d hand out standard-setting deals to Garoppolo, Kittle, Warner and Williams.

But the incentive for all sides is right there, too. If Deebo is great and the 49ers are great this season, everybody gets a short-term fix. In 2023, Deebo can hit unrestricted free agency, just delayed by a year. The 49ers can get through 2022 and also will have many more months to brace for Deebo’s departure. It’s a lose-lose situation. And also a (temporary) win-win. At this point, it might be the most all sides could really hope to get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://theathletic.com/3261994/2022/04/20/kawakami-deebo-samuels-perfect-salary-squeeze-the-49ers-practical-options-and-my-awkward-compromise-suggestion/?source=twittered

Here’s the major issue: It’s Shanahan’s decision to use Deebo so much as a running back late last season that makes him so immensely valuable to the 49ers’ offense, but it’s the same thing that puts a heavier toll on his body and could reduce his career longevity. He’s worth a ton of money playing wide back, but how long can Samuel, now 26, sustain this level while taking all those hits?

I’m told that the 49ers have some doubts about Samuel maintaining this kind of value deep into a long-term contract. He came to camp overweight in his second season. He’s had some injuries. He’s certainly not the kind of taller, rangier WR who often has a longer prime (such as Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald). At Deebo’s most valuable, he runs through people just as much as he runs away from them.

There is immense value in this. I believe the 49ers eventually would’ve been willing to pay Deebo $21-22 million a year and a guarantee in the $40-50 million range. But from an actuarial view, you can see why the 49ers would possibly view Deebo’s future a little more skeptically into 2025 and 2026 than they would for Nick Bosa (also due a contract extension), Williams or Warner. It’s more than a little cold-hearted, especially because Shanahan is the one putting Deebo in that situation on the field. But it’s logical.

Remember, Deebo is signed to a $4 million contract for the 2022 season. What if, to bring him on board for 2022, the 49ers offer to guarantee him $25 million this season and agree not to franchise tag him after that?

That’s not what Deebo wants, because he wants the big money now. But if he holds out and the 49ers don’t budge, he’d lose a year of his career in the middle of his prime and he still wouldn’t be a free agent. And though paying Deebo top-of-market money for even one year isn’t the 49ers’ style, bringing him for one year would help Lance, would help the offense and might be the only way the 49ers remain a Super Bowl contender.

Both sides want to win this year, right? Deebo helps them win, maybe more than any other current player on the team with the possible exception of Bosa or Williams. What if the 49ers and Deebo accept that they’re eventually headed for a divorce but agree that they can stay together for one more season, at a very nice price? Then once the season’s over, so is the relationship.

Yes, that could be awkward. I have zero confidence that either side would embrace or agree to it. Both might say I’m crazy for even suggesting it. But the 49ers did something similarly awkward by acquiring Lance last year but keeping Garoppolo as the starter. Maybe keeping Deebo around for just one more year would work. And oh yes, if the 49ers pay Deebo $25 million in 2022, they would absolutely have to release Garoppolo outright. Guess what his 2022 salary is: $24.2 million.

Deebo could be upset about not getting long-term money. Shanahan and Lynch could be simmering that they had to do this in public, under this kind of pressure, after they proved they’d hand out standard-setting deals to Garoppolo, Kittle, Warner and Williams.

But the incentive for all sides is right there, too. If Deebo is great and the 49ers are great this season, everybody gets a short-term fix. In 2023, Deebo can hit unrestricted free agency, just delayed by a year. The 49ers can get through 2022 and also will have many more months to brace for Deebo’s departure. It’s a lose-lose situation. And also a (temporary) win-win. At this point, it might be the most all sides could really hope to get.

For the Niners to go up 21 million and then lose the guy at the same time they would lose him, with no additional compensation, is nothing short of stupid. 
 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ninerholic said:

Man. This is so confusing 

This has to be about the money then. Honestly all this talk about about him playing out his contract because they wanna win and then let him walk? Total BS! Id want something in value in return.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m 99.9% sure y’all not trading Deeboo

asking price is probably two first rounders. That’s where I’d start. 
 

whats happening is Deebo knows he has no leverage 

he know if it gets to the point of franchising that the 9ers will argue part of his production comes from being used as a RB. 
 

You know how TEs want to be considered receivers and 34olbs often want to get considered as 43 D ends because they have the higher franchise number. That’s whats on Deebo’s horizon. 
 

so he’s just to force your hand while he has the little leverage he has. But Shanny isn’t going to fall for that. He’s going to wait till Terry, DK, or AJ get theirs and then I think Deebo will be right after. Deebo’s agents job is to get him the best contracts possible, and Y’all FO has the same job. But y’all not gonna do him wrong but he’s gonna have to wait till the market comes back to reality. 
 

worst case you guys have him two more years. Maybe 3 if you want to franchise him twice. Deebo has no leverage accept for not playing. And if he wants to miss game checks and get fined that won’t last long. He hasn’t made enough money yet 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know its probably meaningless, ultimately...but if you want to feel a little better about the Deebo situation...remember that they have known this for a week and still did absolutely no additional due diligence on surefire first round prospects and did not bring any of those prospects in. Brisker is the mostly highly regarded prospect that visited and he's likely attainable via a trade up from 61. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So basically, Deebo wants the benefits of being a wide back, without having to be a wide back. He wants to be paid for what he's done, and then not do it anymore. Cool cool cool....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

So basically, Deebo wants the benefits of being a wide back, without having to be a wide back. He wants to be paid for what he's done, and then not do it anymore. Cool cool cool....

The theory I posted earlier was that we are trying to add stipulations into his contract that pay him certain parts of his salary based on his availability i.e. the amount of games active etc. If that is the case I can understand him not wanting to carry the ball as much, take that beating, and risk losing money.

We can't have it both ways; either reduce or eliminate this language and continue to use him as we please, or don't and ship him off. Again, I don't think Kyle is going to be held hostage in regards to how he uses his players. 

This is of course all just me thinking of what is potentially causing this friction. 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, GW21 said:

The theory I posted earlier was that we are trying to add stipulations into his contract that pay him certain parts of his salary based on his availability i.e. the amount of games active etc. If that is the case I can understand him not wanting to carry the ball as much, take that beating, and risk losing money.

We can't have it both ways; either reduce or eliminate this language and continue to use him as we please, or don't and ship him off. Again, I don't think Kyle is going to be held hostage in regards to how he uses his players. 

This is of course all just me thinking of what is potentially causing this friction. 

giphy.gif

 

Any type of injury-related guarantees are dangerous. At some point, you'll get players who refuse to play with a minor ailment, instead of pushing through it. You can't make them feel like their earnings are tied to availability. That's why I prefer performance bonuses. But those things have now become a minor part of a regular contract. Like, a player will get 500k if he gets 10 sacks, or a 1000 yards season. But it's 500k out of 25m... the larger part of the salary is still guaranteed on week 1 of the season. 

In an ideal world, contracts would be structured in steps. You get between 500-800 yards, you get 1m. 800-1000, you get 5m. 1000-1300, 10m. 1300-1600, 15m. 1600+, 20m. Same things with TDs. But sadly, that will never happen. And players would then start complaining about their coaches robbing them of opportunities to make money. I take all of it back. In an ideal world, every player makes 5m, good or bad. The end. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forge unpinned and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...