49ers WR Deebo Samuel requests trade

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

100%. I'd hold no ill will on deebo even if this was 100% his call. Go get your market worth, go be where you want to be. If you have the ability to make it happen, make it happen. 

"Fans" remember it's a business when the player needs to be cut. Conveniently forget its a business when it's the players decision. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Man, I think that there are going to be some disappointed niner fans and podcasters out there when Deebo gets traded. Listening to people say that they want pick 10 + .... 

This is the reason I didn't want to login to comment on this. It's gonna get ugly with fans. Let me clear up my post about trading Deebo. I don't want the team to give him away just to get it over with. I hope they get multiple picks/players if they pull the trigger. Compensation to be determined by the market. 

3 minutes ago, sherm said:

This is the reason I didn't want to login to comment on this. It's gonna get ugly with fans. Let me clear up my post about trading Deebo. I don't want the team to give him away just to get it over with. I hope they get multiple picks/players if they pull the trigger. Compensation to be determined by the market. 

Yeah, trade compensation is what it is. 

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

Man, I think that there are going to be some disappointed niner fans and podcasters out there when Deebo gets traded. Listening to people say that they want pick 10 + .... 

My initial reaction, before he asked for a trade, was 10 + 38; basically just set a ridiculous price that if someone is willing to pay, then they could have him. 

Now that he’s requested a trade and having some more time to think about it I’d be fine with both the Jets 2s and a swap of our comp third for their early third. 

Outside a couple guys at the top, I think the difference between the first round guys and the second round guys is pretty blurred. 

As long as we get what was already defined as the market value with the Adams and Hill trades for Deebo then I’ll be ok with it. I would like for us to get a little more as Deebo is a younger player entering his prime, but I won’t gripe too much if it is the same.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I just dont think two seconds is enough for me to trade him. Would rather live with offseason drama and make him show up to the building and not participate than get less than what I believe to be his worth

Yes, he was a second round pick but we clearly hit a homerun there. He is on a HOF trajectory right now (despite misconceptions he is a one year wonder). He is worth at least a first round pick imo 

I am not going to hand him over to some other team just because he wants to go somewhere else. They are going to need to pay a premium to us. Otherwise, we will play hardball and deebo can take a fair offer of ~22ish million with lots of guarantees. 

• Like 4

I am becoming mildly afraid that we’d be very aggressive getting Khalil Shakir now. Watching his tape, I was given some Dante Pettis vibes both in a good way and a bad way that I found very disconcerting.

13 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I am becoming mildly afraid that we’d be very aggressive getting Khalil Shakir now. Watching his tape, I was given some Dante Pettis vibes both in a good way and a bad way that I found very disconcerting.

I hope if we trade deebo we dont try to replace him with our first pick.  We need to sit in our slot and snipe talent.  Yes we were in the NFC championship game but we have hole in the O-line, secondary then value shop WR/RB.  I do like our RBs but none stay healthy and having talent at our RB opens up our WR more.  I hope we pick up 2-3 O line, I dont want to feel the trap of replacing a play lost to trade.  

I do not think deebo is a player we can replace in a draft, I also do not think that we should pay him 25+ million.  Unless our FO sees someone as +20 picks value over current slot I would like them to sit on their picks and do the best they can.  

• Like 1

Its crazy to me that Deebo asked for a trade over a week ago, and the only reason we heard about it is because his brother posted stuff on facebook over three days ago, but no one noticed until yesterday

Just a wild sequence of events, where ultimately it doesnt appear that Deebo wanted the whole world to know he requested a trade

These are some moderately public negotiations and somehow that is ok. Sh!t happens, its April. People keep using the word "diva" but this man has been nothing but a asset in the locker room from day one. He isnt TO 

That tweet he sent today was weird though. Has anyone ever used the third person and then forget to capitalize their first name?? Its possible it got deleted because he wasnt the one who sent it lol but I also get the idea of feeling the need to defend yourself without being able to talk specifics. It was odd either way. 

This must be a hard thing to go through to be honest. It's probably very isolating. End result is great, millions of dollars doesnt sound so bad, but in the meantime, all of this must be exhausting for him. Im tired and this isnt even my life

3 hours ago, N4L said:

I just dont think two seconds is enough for me to trade him. Would rather live with offseason drama and make him show up to the building and not participate than get less than what I believe to be his worth

Yes, he was a second round pick but we clearly hit a homerun there. He is on a HOF trajectory right now (despite misconceptions he is a one year wonder). He is worth at least a first round pick imo 

I am not going to hand him over to some other team just because he wants to go somewhere else. They are going to need to pay a premium to us. Otherwise, we will play hardball and deebo can take a fair offer of ~22ish million with lots of guarantees. 

Either the situation is salvageable or it's not. 

If it is, they won't trade him and they will sign him long term, so the trade is a moot point. 

However, if they can't sign him, I 99.9999% do not believe that they will simply hold him hostage. The teams that do that are the ones who are typically mocked and derided as being dysfunctional. There is a reason that talented malcontents are consistently traded once they get to that point (or they are given something minor, like a restructure or something to give them more money immediately that soothes them for a bit, but that's not really an option for the 49ers with deebo outside of the extension, so we can largely ignore that).  They will put him on the market and they will take the best deal. I do believe that. 

You think it's bad optics to have your stars blow up and not get paid? I'd say that being viewed as dysfunctional and holding players hostage is so much worse...especially in the eyes of potential players. I don't think any team wants to be that team. At least some of the stars have gotten paid...players will be more respectful and understanding of that. I don't think anyone is looking at KC and thinking bad things about the way the Hill situation went down, for example. 

Wanting a first round pick is largely whatever...especially in this draft. It's kind of an arbitrary demand to make the return look better. Those two second round picks are specific to the Jets, and those two picks fit right between the Adams and Hill values for the the first and second round picks (combined they are less value than the two picks the Packers got for Adams, but worth more than the first and second round picks that KC got for Hill). Hill got some extra minor stuff and you can fill that however you wish, but they are obviously just mostly lotto tickets and move up fodder. 

Obviously more teams than the Jets will be involved, so in that situation you could easily get a first...philly could give up pick 18 or whatever, but pick 18 and a 4th is just not nearly as enticing to me as two picks in the top 38. the Saints could be in it. Even the Chiefs. The Chiefs could offer a first and a second...but they could be pick 30 and pick 63 and that holds substantially less value than the two picks the Jets have at the top of the second.

So if we are being real here...those two second round picks are a premium for the receiver market. It may not seem like it because they aren't actually a first round pick but the value is comparable. The highest pick that has been moved for a receiver since the rookie wage scale has been in place (an important line of delineation)  is hte pick that the Giants for for OBJ. They got pick 17, pick 95 and Jabril Peppers, an underwhelming third year safety who I'd estimate had negligible mid round value. Humorously, pick 17 + 95 has very similar value to 35 + 38 (it's actually exact on the old TVC). 

Percy Harvin was traded for #25 and a future 3rd at 25 years old. 

OBJ got 17 & 95 at 26. 

Diggs got pick 22 and some other fluff. 

Brandin Cooks was traded twice and got picks 23 and 32. 

That's not to say that some team won't just go bonkers and give us like a first this year and a first next year lol. I wouldn't have thought a team would do that for Jamal Adams and here we are. It's certainly possible. IHouston got a second for Hopkins on the other end of the spectrum.  But if the determination is that this can't be fixed, then objectively, securing those two picks from the Jets along with some fodder is not a bad deal in the receiver market and I really don't think people should be disappointed. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Kinda feel the same way.

I was always fine either way but Deebo was the guy I'd spend more on than what would probably make sense from a pure business point of view. Not only because he is a sensational player and basically was the entire offense at times, it always felt like he was the perfect guy to be the face of the offense, the Shanny offense, the franchise in general. 

So I'm really not trading him, unless there is a stunning offer on the table. I'm also not completely sold on any receiver in this class. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

The draft is next week. What would you have them do? Play hard ball or get some talent in who WANTS to win instead of throw a fit. 

Maybe sit down with him and try and work it out..

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/deebo-samuels-trade-request-puts-49ers-difficult-position

The 49ers seemed confident they would be able to get a deal done with Samuel because the parameters had been set. He was budgeted for a deal somewhere in the $22 million to $24 million annual range.

But before the sides even entered into serious negotiations, something happened that derailed the 49ers’ plan.