Vikings Select Brian Asamoah, LB, Oklahoma at #66

gopherwrestler

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Wouldn’t call him a bust but Spielman was fired for a reason. The pick didn’t contribute as a rookie, I think that’s going to become a problem with how the league is moving towards paying veterans ridiculous contracts. Those day one and day two picks need to contribute. Drafting a third string QB and 5th LB on day 3 isn’t a good look.

Not sure the last two picks are going to contribute early either. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Right Guard has to be wide open so I wouldn’t rule it out. But you’re right with LB. but even if he can carve out a niche role in certain nickel sets, that’s a start. May not be this year and who knows what happens to Kendricks and Hicks after this year. I would have looked DL with one of those picks given how you can rotate that group or a slot CB. 

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Well, Asamoah doesn't exactly have an army of Ray Lewis' in front of him behind Kendricks and Hicks.

Edited by swede700

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

But will they contribute if others get injured? 

To me that was the unbelievable thing about last years class. They couldn’t even get on the field despite multiple players going down with injury. 

Another heat seeking missile added to the defence.

Great athlete, stud at the senior bowl, plays with intensity and has the potential to be a three down player next to Kendricks right away.

Fits right in with the Cine and Booth selections

• Like 1

6 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Man, am I the only one that likes asamoah? 

66. Vikings: Brian Asamoah, LB, Oklahoma

Grade: A

Rangy, high-energy second-level defender who doesn't have much coverage experience but possesses the speed and change-of-direction ability to eventually become a quality player in that regard down the road. Speed pops on film too. Nasty taking on blocks. Good player.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-grades-tracker-analysis-for-every-third-round-selection/?fbclid=IwAR1S_x-XpPZeQC31yWouZPAEvwQpcGErYSWl2ZBV3tPoKurPevdfAFAie3k

• Like 1

9 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Man, am I the only one that likes asamoah? 

I do too. I just think there were bigger needs like DE/5T, TE, WR, QBOTF.

I dont think he'll see the field much, if at all this year. So i can see the gripe from others. But if you take out needs, value, etc and just look at the player there is a lot to like. Hopefully he can work on his coverage skills and be the future replacement of Kendricks. If he can get even close to that level then no one will care that we traded back with 2 division rivals (so they can get their WR needs) and took him here. 

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Does this push Blake Lynch off the team?

That is what is so weird, and what does this mean for Surratt also?

ILB Eric Kendricks, Brian Asamoah, Troy Dye, Tuf Borland 
ILB Jordan Hicks, Chazz Surratt, Blake Lynch, Ryan Connelly

And I never thought ILB was a huge need anyway, could argue another 3/4 OLB is a bigger need because it is more in question outside of Hunter and Smith.  Granted Wonnum and Surratt could be that OLB and maybe they view Surratt as a OLB which I would agree with.  

They also do not view Wyatt Davis as a good player either, so is odd the new team and they draft basically replacements for two guys the Vikings picked in Wyatt Davis and Surratt.  Maybe they do not like either guy or just want competition we will see.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That is what is so weird, and what does this mean for Surratt also?

ILB Eric Kendricks, Brian Asamoah, Troy Dye, Tuf Borland 
ILB Jordan Hicks, Chazz Surratt, Blake Lynch, Ryan Connelly

And I never thought ILB was a huge need anyway, could argue another 3/4 OLB is a bigger need because it is more in question outside of Hunter and Smith.  Granted Wonnum and Surratt could be that OLB and maybe they view Surratt as a OLB which I would agree with.  

They also do not view Wyatt Davis as a good player either, so is odd the new team and they draft basically replacements for two guys the Vikings picked in Wyatt Davis and Surratt.  Maybe they do not like either guy or just want competition we will see.  

Wonder if they want to see Davis at Center. I know there was some speculation about it last year and Bradbury’s a free agent next year and has a lot to prove. Would like to see Bradbury and Davis compete at Center with Davis also in the mix at RG. Again don’t know how realistic it is to think about Davis as a Center but you never know. But maybe Davis isn’t a fit in their eyes. The camp battle at backup OL will be intriguing.

As for Surratt, I think it’s high unlikely he is on the opening day roster. Would expect the team to only carry 5 LBs, so there’s essentially two spots. 

Edited by vikingsrule