The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Considering that Thanos time-hopping from any previous run-ins with Xandar (and more specifically the off-panel "destruction of Xandar" that led to him acquiring the Body Stone), this makes sense.  Nova is not a character that a ton of people are familiar with, but there's potential to write Richard Rider in a way that could make him a really popular character.  It's not the way he is in the comics, but a multi-dimensional version of Maverick from Top Gun characterization of Rider would definitely sell, especially after the Top Gun sequel comes out and drums up some nostalgia, but also likely aggravates a lot of people when the hot-shot fighter jock role is put on Miles Teller (which, I'm sorry, I like Miles but he'll play the same character he does in similar-personality roles to this).

Marvel could’ve actually introduced Nova in GotG as he is in the comics instead of the Xandarian Air Force and completely pulled the rug on DC rehabilitating Green Lantern.  The same way they did with Thanos per Darkseid.   Despite the GL Corps and Darkseid being the originals, everyone unfamiliar with the characters would’ve bought in immediately.  Marvel can still beat them to the punch with Nova.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

So have you guys heard that the MCU will roll out a gay superhero in one of their next films. Did Marvel just mess with their success??

They could just pull a JK Rowling and say Thanos was gay. Boom! Inclusivity problem solved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

So have you guys heard that the MCU will roll out a gay superhero in one of their next films. Did Marvel just mess with their success??

I don't think so. As long as they just aren't like, Falcon and Bucky are gay or something like that, I trust them to actually roll out a character where it is just natural that they are gay and it doesn't matter. Lots of speculation that it will be Captain Marvel and possibly Valkyrie who end up hooking up. They've certainly set-up Captain Marvel as possibly a lesbian.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I don't think so. As long as they just aren't like, Falcon and Bucky are gay or something like that, I trust them to actually roll out a character where it is just natural that they are gay and it doesn't matter. Lots of speculation that it will be Captain Marvel and possibly Valkyrie who end up hooking up. They've certainly set-up Captain Marvel as possibly a lesbian.

Valkyrie supposedly is, and they had shot a scene showing that in Thor: Ragnarok, but it got cut.  Can't remember where i read that.  Wikipedia maybe?

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

Valkyrie supposedly is, and they had shot a scene showing that in Thor: Ragnarok, but it got cut.  Can't remember where i read that.  Wikipedia maybe?

The woman who dives in front of the sword meant for Valkyrie was supposed to be her love interest, but that tidbit didn't really make it into Ragnarok.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

The woman who dives in front of the sword meant for Valkyrie was supposed to be her love interest, but that tidbit didn't really make it into Ragnarok.

There was a supposedly a scene on Sakaar too that was cut.

This seems like an obvious one to retcon.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I would imagine that they will have a superhero be gay...and no other hero cares.  I mean that in a "ok cool, now let's go kick some ***" way.  The hero wouldn't be defined by their homosexuality, but their actions.  A superhero that happens to be gay, not a gay superhero if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theJ said:

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

3 hours ago, theJ said:

There was a supposedly a scene on Sakaar too that was cut.

This seems like an obvious one to retcon.

Isn’t she bisexual in the comic verse?  TBH it’s not a big deal to retcon it.  

4 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I would imagine that they will have a superhero be gay...and no other hero cares.  I mean that in a "ok cool, now let's go kick some ***" way.  The hero wouldn't be defined by their homosexuality, but their actions.  A superhero that happens to be gay, not a gay superhero if that makes any sense.

This is the key distinction. A hero who is gay is a hero like anyone else. A caricature of a gay person who flaunts it every scene while somehow being a hero is forcing a narrative.

17 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

This is the key distinction. A hero who is gay is a hero like anyone else. A caricature of a gay person who flaunts it every scene while somehow being a hero is forcing a narrative.

What's your definition of 'flaunting'? 

17 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

It's not like there haven't been gay superheroes in the Marvel comic universe (quite a few actually).  So I don't really see where it's a problem as long as they don't make the character a caricature or walking stereotype in such a way that it's insulting to gay audience members.  If a character wants to use his or her sexuality to throw of an opponent off their game, I couldn't care less what their orientation is.  If you don't have a problem with a female hero using such behavior to throw off a male adversary, you shouldn't have a problem with the exchange if it's a same-sex pairing... even if the adversary isn't homosexual (hell, I'd say that would make it even more acceptable because it's poking at an irrational fear).

Besides, Brie Larsen and Tessa Thompson have already come out as saying they're onboard with people who ship Captain Marvel and Valkyrie together (and Thompson has already confirmed as much that Valkyrie goes both ways just as she did in the comics).

Let people cry about it if they want.

• Like 2

Adding on to the above, the MCU was going to get a gay superhero at some point when they introduced the X-Men anyway.  Iceman is one of the original four X-men and if, after Marvel having him come out in the comics several years ago, they tried to retcon him to being straight - particularly when the previous cinematic version of him was poorly done, as a representation of Bobby and just in general, you'd have hell to pay coming at you from multiple communities - considerably more than the homophobes.

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast