Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

Top 8 - might be the highest we’ve seen a Texans draft class weighed against the rest of the league. It’s the first time Nick Caserio had a full stack to work with (not only from the extra picks from the Deshaun Watson trade, but with picks that weren’t given up by Bill O’Brien for whatever the heck Bill O’Brien traded for).

A few thoughts:

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I like the Stingley pick, even it carries with it some risk.

I had Sauce and Stingley neck and neck - Sauce was healthier with lower risk, Stingley was more explosive with a higher reward. One of the two was destined to be the pick, I wasn’t buying the hype around Ekwonu or Neal. I’ll take Stingley every day of the week, he’s pretty much guaranteed to be the best CB on this team and early talk from the team is he’s going to follow #1 WRs around all game long.

I love the Jalen Pitre pick-up, someone who was one of my favorite players in this draft

The Pitre pick made me easier with the Kenyon Green pick - I felt moving back from 13 to 15 cost the Texans a shot at Kyle Hamilton; It did, but Pitre is quite the consolation prize for the spot, a do everything dynamo and a guy who plays like a Tasmanian devil out there. I’d take Green and Pitre over Hamilton and the next best run blocking G, I think.

Metchie III can become a very solid second receiver in the league, even if better (and healthier) receivers came off the board later.

What I like most about Metchie III is how the Texans moved up to get him - Day one, they moved from 13 to 15 to earn three extra picks. Using two of those three picks, they jumped up 24 spots - from 68 to 44. Later on, Caserio use that final pick to jump from 80 to 75 to draft Christian Harris.

In essence - Caserio moved two spots down on Day 1, which turned into the assets necessary to move up a combined 29 spots on Day 2 (where the actual value was located in this draft). I can’t help but to applaud moving around the board in this fashion, it was a deft bit of maneuvering. THAT was very Belicheck of him.

I also liked Dameon Pierce in the 4th, he can be an asset on the ground and as a receiver. I don’t understand why he wasn’t in that top-tier bracket for backs in this year’s class, he is every bit as good. Given the other backs currently on this roster, a bet on Pierce for OFROY isn't a bad idea

Most people I knew were pining for Isaiah Spiller (myself included) but I like Pierce here in this spot - an RAS monster, a physical freak (6% body fat, can bench 390, deadlift 705 and runs a 4.5 flat) and low tread on his tires despite being pretty productive running the ball at Florida (Anthony Richardson sort of carries that Florida offense). He’s probably the best pass blocking RB in the draft, which is the biggest factor in whether or not a rookie RB sees the field - given Marlon Mack is right now the lead back with Royce Freeman and Rex Burkhead as the next guys on the DC, Pierce might actually start sooner than any rookie RB out there.

I didn’t not like Green at 15, I think he’s an exceptional run blocker when playing to the limit of his talents and this will probably be a solid selection. The positional value here gives me slight pause, with the franchise being rebuilt brick by brick and under its second head coach in as many years.

I get that, but I also look at specifically the run blocking - the Texans were 32nd in the run game last season, and a lot of that was due to an OL that wasn’t getting a push up front. The pick was a BIT high, but not some outright reach (Zion Johnson was the only comparable pure G left, and he went a few picks later). It was filling a need, but a need that’s somewhat transferrable across different coaching regimes.

I see the trepidation, but I fully understand and support the direction. Between Kenyon Green and a returning Laremy Tunsil, the Texans OL should be better than last season.

Excellent writeup, GFW - it’s been a while since I could enjoy the draft as a follower of the Texans, but this draft was enjoyable. Glad you agree with that joy. 😊

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I read that propaganda. Its full of lies. @TheRealMcCoy is the same guy who wrote a 50 page book a few years ago saying the Eagles were going to win 13 games. They won 6. 

He's a homer. Of that there is no doubt. However, he's a homer with facts. If you can counter his facts or my assertion that they drafted three players with All-Pro potential, bring it on. 

If not, stop being such homer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

He's a homer. Of that there is no doubt. However, he's a homer with facts. If you can counter his facts or my assertion that they drafted three players with All-Pro potential, bring it on. 

If not, stop being such homer.

Im being a troll, thats very different than a homer. My comments are tongue in cheek. 

Is it fair to say I loved the Texans process (with one exception) but not all the actual choices for the picks?

I think Sauce is going to be much better than Stingley Jr.

The league is full of mediocre college dudes who were really good 2 years before they were drafted and don't become stars. KC got one as a UFA this week. Stingley could still be very good but to me he was a 10th to 14th overall guy, not a 3rd and not before Sauce.

I like the Texans 2nd, 3rd, and 5th selections at OG, S, and LB. (order, not round)

Metchie is last year on repeat. (except that he's not tall and a little slower) Trade up for the 9th to 11th WR off the board because you have magic powers of WR drafting. They did not with Nico Collins. I don't think he's a better prospect than Pickens or Moore.

Edited by SkippyX

I hadn’t checked in on this since Minnesota. Imagine my surprise to be Buffalo top 10.

Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly like this class and think they hit some major needs without reaching. I just didn’t see a top 10 class. 

I hope the results are the same or better than 2017 when they took a CB in round 1, an undersize LB later on that weekend. 

26 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I hadn’t checked in on this since Minnesota. Imagine my surprise to be Buffalo top 10.

Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly like this class and think they hit some major needs without reaching. I just didn’t see a top 10 class. 

I hope the results are the same or better than 2017 when they took a CB in round 1, an undersize LB later on that weekend. 

Does James Cook run like his brother does?

When someone asked me to list where i thought the Falcons draft ranked after looking at everyones draft i had us around 7.  So it's time to see if Goldies ranking is better than what i gave my own teams ranking lol. 

Top 2 for me were for sure Jets and Ravens and was a pretty big fan of the Chiefs, Texans, and Green Bay.

Edited by FalconFan13

On 5/5/2022 at 2:24 PM, Daniel said:

Man, these middle drafts are pretty hard to distinguish from one another.

All pretty even.

Tampa here seems pretty reasonable.

I was wondering why they didn’t at least try for a high upside QB like Willis or even Howell with the 4th round pick instead of a punter.

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Awesome writeup on the Eagles. We may still wait a while for their name to come up.

Appreciate that man! I was actually surprised to see a few people liked it. Wasn't expecting many to actually read it since it was kind of long. Also, if Roseman keeps this going next year and has 3 really good drafts in a row I don't think Philly fans will know what to do with themselves lol.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I read that propaganda. Its full of lies. @TheRealMcCoy is the same guy who wrote a 50 page book a few years ago saying the Eagles were going to win 13 games. They won 6. 

I'll admit that maybe my write-ups were a tad on the optimistic side, but I did kind of allude to Jordan Davis not really being a pass rusher at this point in time. iJurgens not making an impact immediately as he'll be sitting most likely unless of course they let him compete for RG and he wins that job over more experienced players like Seumalo and Driscoll. He hasn't played guard, so I kinda find that hard to believe. I also said some good things about Kyron Johnson, but also alluded to the fact that we brought in Reddick, so he'll just be a really good special teamer to start. I did bring up Grant Calcaterra's concussion history too which was the reason he dropped.

I think overall with only 5 selections... forget who the Eagles picked at those spots. The reason their draft is held up there near the top is what they did with some of the picks they didn't make in the 1st round like trading a 1st this year with the Saints for their 2023 1st in a better QB class plus the 2nd rounder in 2024 as well as the late 3rd round compensatory pick this year which was packaged along with our last 1st rounder for AJ Brown. Those were both really smart maneuvering by Roseman. I would completely understand if there are people who are lower on Jurgens than I was heading into the draft or the Eagles and other teams that had him over Linderbaum were. Both him and Davis are athletic freaks that need to refine their games some more to reach their full potential. Nakobe Dean had those injury concerns, but he and the Eagles doctors seem to think he's fine and he's been practicing in rookie minicamp already. There is always the possibility he reinjures the pec/shoulder and ends up needing the surgery and misses his first year. I think top 10 for the Eagles was pretty much a lock and if I had to guess I would've said top 5-7 or so. I'm not sure even with those trades I mentioned earlier if a 5 man class can be mentioned at the very top when there are other teams who had 2X as many selections and did a tremendous job with value like the Chiefs and Ravens. Jets only had 7 selections, but they had 4 in the first 36 picks to our 1 pick (Jordan Davis). I think considering the amount of picks we ended up taking we did a great job with them. Our rookie class isn't gonna pay the most dividends year 1 though. Jurgens and Davis is looking forward to the near departure of guys like Kelce, Cox, and maybe Hargrave too.

15 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

That Kelce video 

"Ive never seen a center who looks more like me" ... a sentence or two later .. "I mean, this guy is super athletic, so fast, so fluid, played tight end"... Way to pat yourself on the back there Kelce. 

I don't think that's fair. Kelce is one of the nicest and most humble dudes out there.

If you watched the full segment with Kelce on Jurgens (I had to go back to Bleacher Report's video on YouTube to watch it) you would hear him tell Adam Lefkoe (Eagles fan) that he believes Jurgens can be much better than him when he himself should be an absolute HOFer. That clip cuts off right before he says it, but I brought up the timestamp for you:

And, if that's not enough just watch this video they did with him when he was nominated for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award:

I'm gonna miss that dude a ton when he's gone. He's basically been the offensive version of Brian Dawkins to these Eagles teams for the past decade plus. The heartbeat of that side of the ball and the ultimate leader who motivated and helped raise the games of everyone around him. Center isn't a super highly valued position league wide (just look at the contracts), but what that man has meant to the Eagles over the course of his career is priceless. Doesn't surprise me they wanted to go get his replacement. Center means more to the Eagles than pretty much any other team.

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

When someone asked me to list where i thought the Falcons draft ranked after looking at everyones draft i had us around 7.  So it's time to see if Goldies ranking is better than what i gave my own teams ranking lol. 

Top 2 for me were for sure Jets and Ravens and was a pretty big fan of the Chiefs, Texans, and Green Bay.

Falcons definitely deserve to be one of the top teams without a doubt. Really like what you guys did bolstering the pass rush with Ebiketie and Malone. I feel like Drake London got too much hate as a USC fan. I get the argument against him cause he is more of a jump ball guy and not a true separator, but I think his game is more nuanced than a lot of people give him credit for and he has pretty fluid hips for a guy of his size. Needs to clean up some of the more routine drops, but he's a beast at the catch point. Defending two guys the size of Pitts and London is gonna be a tough match-up for basically any defense cause how many have two DBs with a lot of size. There aren't too many defenses with that. I guess Miami is one, but yeah. Probably can't name more than 3 at most. You guys were patient and got Ridder in the range where he probably should've went. Troy Andersen needs to develop more, but he has really high potential. Allgeier is a nice big back to step in for the departing Mike Davis with solid pass pro chops. Didn't really care all that much for the 6th round picks, but at that point who cares lol. 

I disagree with you on the Packers being mentioned with those teams and think the Chiefs should be included in that top group.

28 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Falcons definitely deserve to be one of the top teams without a doubt. Really like what you guys did bolstering the pass rush with Ebiketie and Malone. I feel like Drake London got too much hate as a USC fan. I get the argument against him cause he is more of a jump ball guy and not a true separator, but I think his game is more nuanced than a lot of people give him credit for and he has pretty fluid hips for a guy of his size. Needs to clean up some of the more routine drops, but he's a beast at the catch point. Defending two guys the size of Pitts and London is gonna be a tough match-up for basically any defense cause how many have two DBs with a lot of size. There aren't too many defenses with that. I guess Miami is one, but yeah. Probably can't name more than 3 at most. You guys were patient and got Ridder in the range where he probably should've went. Troy Andersen needs to develop more, but he has really high potential. Allgeier is a nice big back to step in for the departing Mike Davis with solid pass pro chops. Didn't really care all that much for the 6th round picks, but at that point who cares lol. 

I disagree with you on the Packers being mentioned with those teams and think the Chiefs should be included in that top group.

I mean i had the chiefs in the 3 to 4 range so they are pretty high on the list lol.  Greenbay i like because they picked 4 guys i had with a 2nd round grade or better.  While also taking a total of 6 to 7 guys i had with a 3rd or mid 4th round grade or better.   Rest of the draft was solid but still thats 6 guys i could see doing really good work on the team and i'll take that all day long.