The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Will Levis  = Ryan Tannehill 

He's being severely underrated here now due to FF group think. 

Bad Oline. He was pressured on 35% of his drop backs. Awful WRs and skill positions. Yet he flashed NFL level throws off play action and in zone reads. When in rhythm (which was rare) he was dialed in and accurate. He struggled when things broke down and he was trying to make arm throws and do anything to get the ball to WRs who couldn't beat coverage. 

Some bad habits to clean up, but I'd take him at 7 and coach him up without issue. 

He's pre injury Wentz.  

I think he'll be good in the league in the right team but not elite. Pass

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. I think there is a lot to clean up in his footwork and decision making. He does well with zone reads. His arm can fit the ball in tight windows with ease. Great in play action. 

His path reminds me of Herbert's senior year. Change in OC for the worse. Lost Robinson (WR), Fortner (C), Kinnard (OT) to the NFL. Came back with a bad Oline, bad offensive scheme and no skill positions. 

He was not set up to have much success. He's competitive and tried to shoulder the load and looked at times like he was trying to do to much to keep Kentucky in games. They were a bad team. 

Get him settled into a system where he is comfortable. Clean up his lower half and work with him on playing within the offense and you will have a good QB. He's smart and works hard. I think he figures it out at the next level.

Orlovski had a verrrry interesting take on Levis on his interview on the PatMacafee show. I wish I could quote exactly what he said but I can't, but it was almost unarguable, that Levis has shown he's a very good QB surrounded by a bad situation, horrid OLine, new OC, etc, how he played hurt most of this year but in 2021 he moved way better, how everyone agrees he's incredibly talented and insane work ethic, and how people seem to be dismissing him based off of these one time nit picky things... He goes over how many times he's yelling out his WRs for running the routes wrong, I'm understating it, but it really is well worth the listen, especially for those who aren't sold on Levis. He adds so much context that I hadn't heard before. Right around the 55 min mark from 2 days ago. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Orlovski had a verrrry interesting take on Levis on his interview on the PatMacafee show. I wish I could quote exactly what he said but I can't, but it was almost unarguable, that Levis has shown he's a very good QB surrounded by a bad situation, horrid OLine, new OC, etc, how he played hurt most of this year but in 2021 he moved way better, how everyone agrees he's incredibly talented and insane work ethic, and how people seem to be dismissing him based off of these one time nit picky things... He goes over how many times he's yelling out his WRs for running the routes wrong, I'm understating it, but it really is well worth the listen, especially for those who aren't sold on Levis. He adds so much context that I hadn't heard before. Right around the 55 min mark from 2 days ago. 

Similarly, JT O’Sullivan does a really interesting breakdown of him and the other top QBs on Mina Kimes’ podcast. He makes much the same points that you describe, praising his toughness, that he was pleasantly surprised (after hearing so much negativity) about the amount of highly transferable traits he has and about his work ethic.

He does also go into real detail on the negatives of his game too - mainly how inexplicable many of his big mistakes are and he and Kimes reason that his processing time can seem slow and that his jacked physique might be responsible for his over use of a fast ball - I.e. that he lacks touch on his throws as a result.

• Like 2

So someone's opinion on one panicking more and using words that come across like you want to date them (when both do the exact same thing) are the only differences between Levis' and Richardson's game? That where we're gonna leave this one? 

So... they're basically the same QB, I guess

Really just curious why people feel they're so vastly different.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

21 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Manning had a laser arm, was 6’5” and probably the smartest QB to ever play football. Intelligence and cognition 100% matters for QB more than any position in professional sports. Manning also had great pocket presence. Discount the Georgia game and Stroud has pretty average pocket presence and is pretty bad under pressure. 

Brady had a much better arm than Stroud and Brady’s Pocket Presence is the best in NFL History, he has an eye in all directions and always calm. But Brady is an unusual prospect and if we compare every prospect to pre-draft Brady, then we can say literally everyone is going to be great. 

This forum acts like one bad thing can’t be said about guys they like. I like Stroud a lot still and would be very happy to draft him. He’s basically my 1c. And in Josh’s scheme he could be a great fit where accuracy trumps all. The question is can he get the timing down. But if you’re sitting here asking me Stroud’s flaws, discounting the Georgia game, he’s a bad play extender, he’s bad under pressure, average pocket presence, average pocket awareness, throwing with anticipation he never really had to do because his WR’s were always open, his arm is solid but would not be Top 10 in the NFL. He can go through progressions but most of his throws were 1st read. To be fair though, most of the QB’s in this class majority of their throws were 1st read except Bryce Young. From an intelligence and going through progression standpoint, Bryce is levels above all of these guys, including Stroud. But he does have some pretty good qualities to him. He’s very accurate. He has solid mechanics. His arm is good enough. The Georgia game showed he can extend plays and has some dog in him. But it’s one game vs 2 years of solid tape. 

And we have the best QB in the league in our division and a Top 6 QB in Herbert. We need our own superstar to even have a chance. Young and Richardson? Possible superstars. Drake Maye and Caleb? Possible superstars. CJ Stroud? Doubtful. Can be pretty dang good, but I don’t see superstar in him. 

With that said, I do think Stroud can be extremely good, a Top 10 QB year in and year out, and should end up being way better than Jimmy G or Derek Carr. It would be refreshing to have Stroud. If we get him, I’ll be extremely satisfied. But at the moment for me it’s Bryce 1a, Richardson 1b, Stroud 1c. 

I didn't mention Stroud at all, I literally said what super star traits do Richardson and Bryce have because being athletic alone doesn't spell super star to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NickButera said:

You guys have this all wrong. Anyone on board with taking a QB who puts mayo in his coffee is no friend of mine. 🤨

• Like 7

Here's this:

Apparently it was the April 13th episode about halfway through. Not saying it's true or not but this is why special people shouldn't be so quick to rush to degrade a player they don't like/share insanely odd fluff words for.

Carry on.......

EDIT:

Here's the clip. Again, doesn't mean anything is or is not true but don't post it as factual info until it's been released.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 2

Too lazy to put out a full mock, but here’s my dream scenario for 3 rds.  BLUFF is that a great d-line solves many problems.

1st: trade to TN and let them grab one of the QBs. Trade is for their next years 1st (at a min it’s ammo to move up for a qb next year ).  

If they move on from Tanny for say Levis, I think we’re looking at a top 5 pick.  Now they actually trade Henry like he’s rumored to be and we’re sitting on gold.

11th pick : Myles Murphy, dude is a baller that has quietly been forgotten about here. 275 w/ explosion (9.88 RAS from pro-day) and was extremely productive.  I think when the dust settles, I won’t be surprised if he’s the best DE out of this class several years down the road.

38: Mazi Smith: Big dudes like him shouldn’t be as athletic as he is.  Reminds me of Marcell Darius (who was the 3rd overall pick by the Bills based mostly on metrics)

At this point I’d start looking to trade up into the back of 2nd for Gervon Dexter. 

Murphy, Mazi, Dexter and Crosby would be unblockable. This in of itself would mask deficiencies in our lb and db room.

Edited by 101Raider

46 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Too lazy to put out a full mock, but here’s my dream scenario for 3 rds.  BLUFF is that a great d-line solves many problems.

1st: trade to TN and let them grab one of the QBs. Trade is for their next years 1st (at a min it’s ammo to move up for a qb next year ).  

If they move on from Tanny for say Levis, I think we’re looking at a top 5 pick.  Now they actually trade Henry like he’s rumored to be and we’re sitting on gold.

11th pick : Myles Murphy, dude is a baller that has quietly been forgotten about here. 275 w/ explosion (9.88 RAS from pro-day) and was extremely productive.  I think when the dust settles, I won’t be surprised if he’s the best DE out of this class several years down the road.

38: Mazi Smith: Big dudes like him shouldn’t be as athletic as he is.  Reminds me of Marcell Darius (who was the 3rd overall pick by the Bills based mostly on metrics)

At this point I’d start looking to trade up into the back of 2nd for Gervon Dexter. 

Murphy, Mazi, Dexter and Crosby would be unblockable. This in of itself would mask deficiencies in our lb and db room.

What am I missing with Mazi Smith ? .5 sacks in his college career isn’t the stats id expect for a guy who played so highly ranked ? 

• Like 1