2022 Around league

dll2000

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That was point.   

People also keep saying that.  It's all over twitter right now.  

Lamar is a 26 year old former MVP in his prime QB.   yet, a lot of teams would still rather have Rodgers for right now.   

Facts are Lamar doesn't have a long term deal and nobody is beating down Baltimore's door to trade for him with an offer they can't refuse.   

Watson didn't play for 2+ years and is full of bad press.   Even with that Cleveland still had to guarantee his contract and give up moon in draft picks, not because they really wanted to do that.  They would have loved to sign him for one first and a non guaranteed deal.   

But they had to do it to beat out other teams bidding for him.    There was competition for Watson.  

If Lamar was better thought of, he would be signed or traded and signed by someone else.  

Josh Allen got signed.   People would have traded moon to get Josh Allen.

Even Kyler Murray got paid, they shouldn't have, but they did.  

Reality is Lamar is just not in the high league wide demand people seem to want and expect him to be in.   You can argue he should be, but he just isn't.   Wanting it to be true, isn't same as it being true.  

I wouldn't want him to be Bears QB.   Others feel same.   He is a fine player, but not who I want.   

It isn't collusion.

Lamar can do a Cousins and keep getting small time big guaranteed contracts.   Next tag will be really big money.

He can still get a big contract from Balt or from another team.   Just not nearly as big as he wants.

IMO, some of Lamar’s issues that have probably kept him from getting a deal done already are seemingly brought on by himself. He hasn’t really developed as a passer. He seems to be somewhat of a malcontent and a diva. He doesn’t have an agent (we talked about the downsides of this ad nauseum with Roquan). Put that on top of the fact that the style of game he plays and his success to date is largely if not wholly built around his athleticism and a fully guaranteed long term commitment to him carries more risk than it would for some of his peers. Fair or not, it’s reality. We’ll have the same discussions around Fields if the passing game doesn’t continue to progress too and they’ll be totally fair. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

IMO, some of Lamar’s issues that have probably kept him from getting a deal done already are seemingly brought on by himself. He hasn’t really developed as a passer. He seems to be somewhat of a malcontent and a diva. He doesn’t have an agent (we talked about the downsides of this ad nauseum with Roquan). Put that on top of the fact that the style of game he plays and his success to date is largely if not wholly built around his athleticism and a fully guaranteed long term commitment to him carries more risk than it would for some of his peers. Fair or not, it’s reality. We’ll have the same discussions around Fields if the passing game doesn’t continue to progress too and they’ll be totally fair. 

I agree with you.  Personality plays a role in getting a contract...and just about anything in life.

I also think the franchise tagging system needs to go away... it's fair for everybody.  The team with the best players and cap space wins....  :)

2 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

I agree with you.  Personality plays a role in getting a contract...and just about anything in life.

I also think the franchise tagging system needs to go away... it's fair for everybody.  The team with the best players and cap space wins....  :)

The franchise tag system should absolutely go away. The league will say it exists to protect small market teams, but really, it's just a not-so-subtle way for the owners to demonstrate that they view the players as assets instead of people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

The franchise tag system should absolutely go away. The league will say it exists to protect small market teams, but really, it's just a not-so-subtle way for the owners to demonstrate that they view the players as assets instead of people.

The nflpa has had multiple opportunities to remove it from the cba and has neglected to do so.  So there must be some benefit to the players, would you like to know what it is?  They get a guaranteed 1 year salary which is then used in negotiations as the baseline salary for a new deal.  

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The nflpa has had multiple opportunities to remove it from the cba and has neglected to do so.  So there must be some benefit to the players, would you like to know what it is?  They get a guaranteed 1 year salary which is then used in negotiations as the baseline salary for a new deal.  

Nate Tice and Robert Mays recently did an entire podcast on the FT. the funniest is when they realized that Anthony Spencer (does anyone remember him) got tagged TWICE. yes, the FT limits the free market for players a bit, but it also gives them a completely guaranteed salary at a rate that, for a good amount of them, is more than they were making

This was pretty heartfelt.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/calvin-ridley-nfl-football-jacksonville-jaguars

I was reading it though I thought the below part is weird to me and I have a theory.   Maybe @CBears019can enlighten me more on  my theorysince he has law enforcement experience.  

After the game, I drove home with my wife and daughter, and I saw the whole neighborhood lined up right outside our house. Our front door was kicked in. Police cars everywhere. Our house had been robbed while we were at the game. At first, me and my wife were pretty calm about everything. They took a bunch of jewelry and stuff, but nothing we couldn’t replace. But then we watched the security footage, and we saw about five or six guys come in with guns drawn. If you have a child, that’s your worst nightmare. My wife was traumatized. She couldn’t sleep at night. She couldn’t stand me being out of the house.

My three brothers and my sister all live in pretty ritzy neighborhoods (all different ones).   Ridley likely lives in an even better one.

I live in a middle class neighborhood.

None of us have never seen or even heard of a robbery like described above happening in any of our respective neighborhoods.  6 armed men?  

But this isn't the first professional athlete I have heard or read telling this same story.   I have heard it many times from NBA players, NFL players and musicians.

My theory is these robberies happen to them because they buy really expensive designer jewelry and show it off to shady people either in clubs or back in their old neighborhoods.   Then they get targeted for it.

I also think in some cases when guys need money (I don't think Ridley did this) they insure that jewelry and then stage robberies to collect the insurance money.  Then they keep both.  

If you broke into my house there would be nothing to steal worth more than $400.00 unless you took wedding ring off my wife's finger.   

TVs are most expensive items and they are worth nothing anymore.  You can't even give a used one away because they are so hard to dispose of legally.

Robberies are mostly pointless in this Chinese consumer age.   Everything is relatively cheap now.   There is no cash laying around.   

Except jewelry.

Especially custom made jewelry.  

46 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This was pretty heartfelt.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/calvin-ridley-nfl-football-jacksonville-jaguars

I was reading it though I thought the below part is weird to me and I have a theory.   Maybe @CBears019can enlighten me more on  my theorysince he has law enforcement experience.  

My three brothers and my sister all live in pretty ritzy neighborhoods (all different ones).   Ridley likely lives in an even better one.

I live in a middle class neighborhood.

None of us have never seen or even heard of a robbery like described above happening in any of our respective neighborhoods.  6 armed men?  

But this isn't the first professional athlete I have heard or read telling this same story.   I have heard it many times from NBA players, NFL players and musicians.

My theory is these robberies happen to them because they buy really expensive designer jewelry and show it off to shady people either in clubs or back in their old neighborhoods.   Then they get targeted for it.

I also think in some cases when guys need money (I don't think Ridley did this) they insure that jewelry and then stage robberies to collect the insurance money.  Then they keep both.  

If you broke into my house there would be nothing to steal worth more than $400.00 unless you took wedding ring off my wife's finger.   

TVs are most expensive items and they are worth nothing anymore.  You can't even give a used one away because they are so hard to dispose of legally.

Robberies are mostly pointless in this Chinese consumer age.   Everything is relatively cheap now.   There is no cash laying around.   

Except jewelry.

Especially custom made jewelry.  

It’s rare to see armed people committing burglaries, that ups the ante significantly for the offenders.  

To your point about there not being cash, there are certain cultures of people that keep a LOT of cash around in their houses.  Probably the most common victims I’ve seen in my experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The FT is a subtle way of doing capital control as the player is the capital.  In a business without capital control, if the agreement is not there, there is no business; thus, everybody moves on .... :)

22 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

It’s rare to see armed people committing burglaries, that ups the ante significantly for the offenders.  

To your point about there not being cash, there are certain cultures of people that keep a LOT of cash around in their houses.  Probably the most common victims I’ve seen in my experience.

It’s actually considerably more common than you’d expect 

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Nate Tice and Robert Mays recently did an entire podcast on the FT. the funniest is when they realized that Anthony Spencer (does anyone remember him) got tagged TWICE. yes, the FT limits the free market for players a bit, but it also gives them a completely guaranteed salary at a rate that, for a good amount of them, is more than they were making

When Roquan was asked about the possibility of getting tagged this offseason (in camp last year) he said it was still more than what he was currently making.  

The tag is meant to be used on players your team can't afford to lose.  It's intent is to enable teams to be able to keep their absolute best players or be compensated.  It has been used at times in a way that it wasn't intended for, but those players who basically get a high end salary above their market value, don't generally complain.

By all means, Texans, if you think you can take the completely mediocre 32 year old Jimmy Garoppolo and have him be anything more than rex Grossman with your only target of Brandin Cooks, be my guest. They’re gunning for Caleb next year if that’s their only qb move 

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

“What would be your trade offer to get Derrick Henry?”

Am i the only one that has no interest whatsoever? If I have to trade for him, Trestan Ebner for Derrick Henry straight up. 

If we were in a better spot as a team I’d consider offering a 4th or 5th, but he’s got so much wear and tear on him.  He’s about to fall off a cliff.

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

If we were in a better spot as a team I’d consider offering a 4th or 5th, but he’s got so much wear and tear on him.  He’s about to fall off a cliff.

Right. Even if he was 27, I’d assume he wouldn’t have the success he’s had the last few years based on the massive workload he’s had in his career. I was worried the foot surgery would knock him back too but it wasn’t too bad for him. Most of his magic though is if he’s only averaging 2.5 ypc after 30 carries, the titans will keep giving him the ball anyway cause they don’t know what else to do. If he does that with us, we flip to a different back 

• Like 1

Rodgers had a noticeable decline last year, and I say that while acknowledging his supporting cast. He was off on so many throws he easily made before. I really hope the Jets don’t give up too much for him. The money alone should deter a high pick. The packers need this trade to happen more than the jets.