2022 Around league

dll2000

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not sure anyone would have every through Geno would be a $100+ million QB...well done to him working hard and getting this deal.

I love a feel good comeback story

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Unless he has changed his mind on being a LT, I dont think we are going to be that interested. 

If for some reason he has, I wouldnt be all that mad at what boils down to a 2/3 year deal, even at a High AAV

Agreed. I don't care which side Braxton plays on, most of the LT/RT discrepancies have all but faded over the last decade. Defenses are way more complex than just RE v LT all day, so if it makes Brown Jr feel better he can play LT. He fits a run-heavy team better than KC's offense anyway. If Poles isn't interested then that just means that much attention being directed away from other OTs that he may be interested in. I would just hope it would be a shorter deal like you said rather than a 5 year megadeal. He isn't an elite OT.

Honestly I am more interested in McGary, he may or may note be targeted for the tag. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a deal done before the deadline or for him to be tagged last minute either.

Next 19 hours or so will be interesting, especially for the QB market.

Ravens have yet to tag Lamar and Giants same with Jones/Barkley.  

The Rodgers news has to drop at some point, and a Tuesday on Pat Macafee’s show seems to be right up his alley.  Also with this being a slowish week for news (compared to what’s coming next week) you’d think Rodgers would want to be the center of attention, so this week makes sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed. I don't care which side Braxton plays on, most of the LT/RT discrepancies have all but faded over the last decade. Defenses are way more complex than just RE v LT all day, so if it makes Brown Jr feel better he can play LT. He fits a run-heavy team better than KC's offense anyway. If Poles isn't interested then that just means that much attention being directed away from other OTs that he may be interested in. I would just hope it would be a shorter deal like you said rather than a 5 year megadeal. He isn't an elite OT.

Honestly I am more interested in McGary, he may or may note be targeted for the tag. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a deal done before the deadline or for him to be tagged last minute either.

My biggest issue with potentially signing Brown is that he’s probably gonna cost like $8M more per year than any of the RTs, and while we have the money to spend, I don’t think he’s $8M better than any of them. That kind of move doesn’t really fit with what Poles says he wants to do in FA, and doing so for Brown seemingly goes against what our decision makers say and have shown about wanting from their players from an athletic perspective too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Ravens have yet to tag Lamar and Giants same with Jones/Barkley.  

That the Giants are even considering tagging Jones is insane to me. The non-exclusive tag is ~$35M. Were Jones a FA tomorrow, is he getting anywhere even close to that? I sure don’t think so. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That the Giants are even considering tagging Jones is insane to me. The non-exclusive tag is ~$35M. Were Jones a FA tomorrow, is he getting anywhere even close to that? I sure don’t think so. 

Jones for me is such a weird situation…I can only imagine he is getting some bad advice…he sucked until getting into that Daboll offence last season which was built around what he did well and still was only a good not great QB and he is reportedly wanting $45 million a season? Insane stance to have…take a contract like Geno Smiths where it is say 3 years $105 million and stay in a system you know works for you with a coach who will adapt to you…at the end of that deal he will still only be 28 years old and will have all the leverage in the world if he succeeds…a desperate team might pay more now but as you said I don’t see who that is going to be…stinks of greed & if the Giants do go near that $45 million per average they are crazy.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My biggest issue with potentially signing Brown is that he’s probably gonna cost like $8M more per year than any of the RTs, and while we have the money to spend, I don’t think he’s $8M better than any of them. That kind of move doesn’t really fit with what Poles says he wants to do in FA, and doing so for Brown seemingly goes against what our decision makers say and have shown about wanting from their players from an athletic perspective too. 

Exactly my concern too. That's why I've been against signing him all offseason, he may be a significant upgrade to the OL but he is likely going to want a market altering contract and he isn't near that level. If he was Trent Williams or Bak in his prime, fine. But he isn't.

Redskins showed me a long time ago when they always 'won' free agency that - after having an established franchise QB - a franchise's success isn't based around outspending everyone else. Their success is built by getting the most value out of your contracts. Hopefully Poles drafts well so the Bears aren't constantly trying to do more than build depth or make 1 bigger signing every year or two.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Exactly my concern too. That's why I've been against signing him all offseason, he may be a significant upgrade to the OL but he is likely going to want a market altering contract and he isn't near that level. If he was Trent Williams or Bak in his prime, fine. But he isn't.

Redskins showed me a long time ago when they always 'won' free agency that - after having an established franchise QB - a franchise's success isn't based around outspending everyone else. Their success is built by getting the most value out of your contracts. Hopefully Poles drafts well so the Bears aren't constantly trying to do more than build depth or make 1 bigger signing every year or two.

Fit matters too. Our OTs have to be more athletic than in other schemes. Poles is a huge RAS guy. Brown couldn’t be more of a square peg for a round hole in that regard:

84-FCA881-610-A-42-BA-8610-B3-D39682-C43

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fit matters too. Our OTs have to be more athletic than in other schemes. Poles is a huge RAS guy. Brown couldn’t be more of a square peg for a round hole in that regard:

84-FCA881-610-A-42-BA-8610-B3-D39682-C43

Yeah, definitely not fitting that profile. But I am still open to the idea that he will have to make compromises too. The Bears aren't going to sling the ball around like KC, they will be likely still the most run-heavy team in the league. So while Brown Jr. doesn't fit the athletic profile (and has a RAS that most of us would nearly match lol) his football talents do strongly align with that. My hope is somehow McGary gets out of ATL and is target #1 for Poles.

Honestly with Brown Jr. I hope Poles isn't chasing after him but IDK if he was a big supporter for moving to get him or not. I think I'm trying to talk myself into not being annoyed as hell if Poles does offer him a stupid contract. Might soften the blow if I do  haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

But I am still open to the idea that he will have to make compromises too.

Agreed, but a compromise to the tune of 5/$120M or so for a bad scheme fit at your biggest need position would really floor me. More than any other position this offseason IMO, OT is the one he has to get right. 

• Like 1

Here's the thing that I think people need to think about when it comes to Orlando Brown. As talked about previously, his athletic profile does not seem to match what Poles has expressed as his philosophy regarding how he would like to build an Oline. In addition to that, how often do you see premier left tackles hit the open market? How often do you see a premier LT at his age hitting the open market to sign with his third team? Also look at the draft capital that KC gave up to acquire him and now they don't franchise him? As hard as that position is to fill with a quality player his two previous teams are willing to role the dice with replacing him? He is an upgrade for us for sure but I'm not sure if the ROI is worth it.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My biggest issue with potentially signing Brown is that he’s probably gonna cost like $8M more per year than any of the RTs,

Well hes going to actually hit the market, and he will find out if he is really worth as much as he thinks. Because as much as people talk about the Tag keeping QBs value down, theres a chance that he isnt worth as much (on a long term deal) as he believes, but the free market will bear that out. Its hit some guys hard in the past.

But regardless of what we believe he is worth, the reality is, you are worth as much as someone will pay you

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Well hes going to actually hit the market, and he will find out if he is really worth as much as he thinks. Because as much as people talk about the Tag keeping QBs value down, theres a chance that he isnt worth as much (on a long term deal) as he believes, but the free market will bear that out. Its hit some guys hard in the past.

But regardless of what we believe he is worth, the reality is, you are worth as much as someone will pay you

If he doesn't get the deal he wants then Chicago might be the perfect place for him too. Gets to run block (drive up his value and likely less opportunities for sacks due to lower volume), Poles has the cap to throw a large 2 year deal so he doesn't get tied into a 5-6 year deal, and lets Poles try to find the potential replacement for Brown Jr over 2 years. Bears have the cap space to do so without hindering themselves.

I'm on whatever train allows Fields his best chance to become a true top 10 QB. Support him, whether you go through the Ravens model with Jackson or whatever, just give the dude a chance. If he isn't a top 10 QB - after 5th year and potentially 1 franchise tag - then move on. But give the guy a real shot. He's been asked to swim in steel-toed boots and a weighted vest for his first two years.

• Like 1