• Eagles
    • Packers
    • Saints
    • Vikings
    • None - it's all justified
    • Other

Just now, FrantikRam said:

This seems like a misuse of the word great

Herbert, that o-line, and Allen are as good of an O core as their is in the league.

James, Bosa, and Mack has to be near the top for a D core.

They’ve got a ton of good, young, cheap players at every level.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Herbert, that o-line, and Allen are as good of an O core as their is in the league.

James, Bosa, and Mack has to be near the top for a D core.

They’ve got a ton of good, young, cheap players at every level.

JC Jackson, Asante Samuel Jr…they’ve got some players. I wish they went in on Bradberry as CB2, let Callahan/Samuel duke it out in the slot. 

Chargers are a dangerous team that’ll only be held back by injuries/coaching IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Feels like we’ve been hearing the same thing for years. 

That's because the Chargers have always had a franchise QB and a few other stars (Bosa, Keenan Allen, etc.) so a lot of casual non-Chargers fans just assume we'll be good because of that. I went into last season well aware that our defensive personnel was garbage outside of Bosa/DJ and was hoping for maybe a wild card birth which we very nearly achieved. 

The reality is our rosters in the last 10-12 years have been pretty meh to straight up bad outside of 2018. We've pretty consistently had awful o-lines, major holes in the defense, terrible coaching, absolutely awful depth, etc.

The last season I went into expecting anything was 2018, and to the Chargers credit they went 12-4 and won a playoff game that year. (Ok maybe I expected a little bit in 2019, but Rivers fell off big time that year)

This is probably the highest expectations I've had going into a Chargers season since... 2007 maybe?

I still think this team has a lot to prove. But if you think this roster isn't significantly more talented than any Chargers roster in the past Decade+ you just aren't following the Chargers close enough. 

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

This seems like a misuse of the word great

I mean we were a top 5 offense last year by just about every metric and it's almost an entirely returning cast with even some nice additions to the O-line like Zion Johnson and Isaiah Spiller as RB #2.

I'm not sure how good the defense will be, but I can confidently say that with the additions of Khalil Mack, JC Jackson, Kyle Van Noy, Bryce Callahan, Sebastian Joseph Day and Morgan Fox that it won't be one of the worst in the league again.

Great is a relative and subjective word, but this Chargers roster can compete with any roster in the league in regards to talent.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

I'll tell you what's getting underrated - the burgeoning dislike between Bengals and Chargers fans (possibly over whose QB is better)

Yeah that's just made up by the media.

I've liked Burrow since his LSU days. Why would I mind if he succeeds? (Other than the fact that we share a conference with the Bengals I guess)

Both Burrow and Herbert are two of the best young QB's in the league.

It's not like the Eli situation where he straight up refused to play for us. I wasn't rooting against Ben because he was from the same class as Rivers. (I later started rooting against him for other off the field reasons, but that's neither here nor there)

It's not like the Chargers even had the option to take him in the draft that year.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

I voted Bills.  I do think they'll be a very good team, and almost certainly make the playoffs, but I think people are overvaluing how good they are based on that last game.  And even then, it's like, their defense couldn't stop Mahomes from getting a TD in 13 seconds.  That is a concern.

So I agree with the sentiment that the defense has issues and its "ranking" throughout the season was a bit of fool's gold

But it's a little weird how often I've heard "TD in just 13 seconds" without being checked. It was actually a field goal, and I feel like this is going to turn into one of those weird Mandela Effects where people broadly remember something differently than what actually was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

So I agree with the sentiment that the defense has issues and its "ranking" throughout the season was a bit of fool's gold

But it's a little weird how often I've heard "TD in just 13 seconds" without being checked. It was actually a field goal, and I feel like this is going to turn into one of those weird Mandela Effects where people broadly remember something differently than what actually was.

True. Thought I remembered it as a touchdown.

Still bad, but not as much as the incorrect statement would make it seem.