What was the last truly great team in the NFL?

CP3MVP

The 2021 Rams had great talent but were not a great team.

If we had OBJ and Von from week one it would have been a different story I think.

So by the time we got hot into the playoffs, the talent shone through and we were able to win the Super Bowl - but definitely was not a "great team".

22 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

As much as it pains me to say it but the 2019 Chiefs probably. 

Mahomes missed games and had to play through injury early in the year. That team very likely goes 13-3/14-2 and looks a lot more impressive on paper if not for that. 

Other recent “Great” teams I would say are: 2016 Pats, 2014 Pats, 2013 Seahawks, 2007 Pats, 2004 Pats

Nah. That Chiefs team needed Rivers 4th int in Mexico to beat a 5 win Chargers team. 

11 hours ago, August4th said:

2017 Eagles

If a back up QB didn't win them the SB, this might be the consensus answer for the masses.

People always seem to forget the Eagles were a Top 5 Offense, Defense and ST that year. Seems to get lost becuase of the Nick Foles hoopla.

I don't think 1 year alone defines it.

Look at 2004. You had 3 teams that were each individually great (15-1 Pit, 14-2 NE and 13-2(3) Philly)

Philly and NE each lost to Pittsburgh but NE beat Pittsburgh and Philly in the playoffs.

All 3 teams had sustained success. 

• Philly went to the NFCCG or SB in 2001-2004
  • Pittsburgh won 2 SBs in the next 4 years following 2004
  • NE won its 3rd SB in 4 years in 2004.

I'd say its pretty clear that the 2004 Patriots or the 2001-2004 Patriots were a great team that beat other borderline great teams (at least in 2004).

Its a different discussion about the 2014-2018 Patriots who went to 5 straight AFCCGs, won 3 SBs, and played in possibly the greatest game ever in a close SB loss.

None of those teams has the same 1 year resume but the greatness over time is there.

You could even make it 2011-2018 and now its 8 straight AFCCGs, 5 SBs, with 3 wins.

You could say something similar for the 2018-present Chiefs with 2019 being the peak and the best individual dominance.

You could argue dynasty or no for the whole era but 2019 was the peak and they beat a team that was also dominant

Marks against the 2019 team would be needing huge comebacks in all 3 playoff games and not facing the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC playoffs (they were 3rd on tiebreaker)

Its not the same as the 2 Patriots teams, but its up to where you draw the line.

13 hours ago, Duluther said:

Bucs last season. Didn’t have the greatest record due to lack of initial cohesion (which was to be expected). Once everything clicked, they were unstoppable.

My problem with the 20 Bucs is their special teams was garbage. A consistent theme in a Bruce Arians coached team. Like it almost lost them the Saints playoff Game but brees melted down so it all worked out. A really good team though

Edited by CP3MVP

15 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Ive heard people argue this the last 20 years,That we haven’t had a great champion since the 99 Rams. Like them and the 98 Broncos were the last great Superbowl champions. 

Me I Disagree. The 2004 Patriots and the 2013 Seahawks were great teams 

Yes those were great teams. I suppose I was thinking more so along the line where the playoffs every game was essentially a blowout, and the opposition never had a chance. Like the 1991 Redskins or 1989 49ers. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

16 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Nah. That Chiefs team needed Rivers 4th int in Mexico to beat a 5 win Chargers team. 

Mahomes second game back after dislocating his knee lol. Wasnt exactly in peak form.

won by two scores the second time around

• Like 2

Since there is no real critetia, and terms like "great" and "elite" are subjective and thus get horribly overused....Im going with the last team that truly stood out head and shoulders above the rest, and that was the 2007 Pats.    I dont care if they didnt win the SB, that was the best all around team I ever watched.

Yes, the Giants had their number, but every team has that 1 team.    The Pats got extremely unfortunate to face that team in the SB.   

Either way....2007 Pats is easy for me.

As for teams that won the SB, the 94, 49ers, 99 Rams, 2004 Pats and maybe the 2013 Seahawks stand out the most.   

I cant speak confidently on anything prior to 94.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:20 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

It's too subjective to get to a resolution. 

For me, there's only a handful of great teams. 

Like 85 Bears, 84 9ers, 91 Redskins, 75 Steelers, 99 Rams, 92 Cowboys etc. I think the 04 Pats can qualify, given 4th overall O and 2nd overall D that year, plus picking the best season of a genuine dynasty.

04 Pats are the closest thing the 21st century has to an 85 Bears/89 9ers.

The Eagles were the only team that looked like they even belonged on the same field as them and even that game wasn’t as close as the score was. 

• Like 1