Are the Saints the Best Team in Football?

goldfishwars

Are the Saints the Best Team in football?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Saints the Best Team in football?

If Philly goes into Seattle and beats them by 14, the excuse will be that they were injured. The Eagles have never been able to satisfy anyone when they are winning. The doubters will keep doubting and the Eagles will keep winning. Fly Eagles Fly. 

2 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

The Eagles have never been able to satisfy anyone when they are winning. The doubters will keep doubting and the Eagles will keep winning. Fly Eagles Fly. 

Don’t a large majority of posters have the Eagles at #1? 

2 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

The Eagles have never been able to satisfy anyone when they are winning.

Perhaps I'm not paying attention, but is anyone doubting the Eagles at this point? Seems like they're the consensus #2 team in the NFL behind the defending champions, and even getting a few #1 rankings ahead of the Brady Bunch. 

3 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Don’t a large majority of posters have the Eagles at #1? 

They do, but only because they have one loss. But if you read a lot of these posts, no one is truly giving credit to the Eagles. They excuses are their SOS and the vikings, saints, rams, steelers, and patriots are better.. 

Like some of the other Eagles posters said, the Eagles came into the league with the 10th hardest schedule according to ESPN and they can't control who they play and how their opponents are faring this season. One fact is that the eagles have beat 3 of the top 10 defenses this season (Chicago was ranked 10th before philly game). 

8 minutes ago, Raves said:

it makes it hard to accurately gauge their true strength

In their favor, they have a win at Carolina on a Thursday night without Lane Johnson. That and @ KC in week 2 have been their toughest tests (on paper) this season. 

But like we all should know by now, both teams get paid to play games on their schedule. Both teams want to win as badly as the other. The "any given Sunday" theory truly applies in a league where parity is prevalent. And no, this isn't the NCAA where style points matter. Cue up the old Bill Parcells quote "You are what your record says you are."

I see so many questions about the Eagles from media and football fans. Some of it hate and some of it genuine question marks. The reality is they are in a group of good contending teams that include Minny, New Orleans, LA Rams, Carolina, New England and Pittsburgh. 

I'm not taking anything personally about the Eagles, I just find it fascinating how many people want to downplay a 9-game win streak in the NFL with a 2nd-year QB and unqualified 2nd-year HC (see Michael Lombardi quotes) at the helm. 

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Perhaps I'm not paying attention, but is anyone doubting the Eagles at this point? Seems like they're the consensus #2 team in the NFL behind the defending champions, and even getting a few #1 rankings ahead of the Brady Bunch. 

I argued about the weak schedule they play, but that's not their fault. They'll be tested some in 4/5 of their remaining games as well as in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

They do, but only because they have one loss. But if you read a lot of these posts, no one is truly giving credit to the Eagles. They excuses are their SOS and the vikings, saints, rams, steelers, and patriots are better.. 

Well, the Patriots are the defending champs and currently looking better than last year at 8-2.

So, that's a valid argument.

5 minutes ago, 808 said:

In their favor, they have a win at Carolina on a Thursday night without Lane Johnson. That and @ KC in week 2 have been their toughest tests (on paper) this season. 

But like we all should know by now, both teams get paid to play games on their schedule. Both teams want to win as badly as the other. The "any given Sunday" theory truly applies in a league where parity is prevalent. And no, this isn't the NCAA where style points matter. Cue up the old Bill Parcells quote "You are what your record says you are."

I see so many questions about the Eagles from media and football fans. Some of it hate and some of it genuine question marks. The reality is they are in a group of good contending teams that include Minny, New Orleans, LA Rams, Carolina, New England and Pittsburgh. 

I'm not taking anything personally about the Eagles, I just find it fascinating how many people want to downplay a 9-game win streak in the NFL with a 2nd-year QB and unqualified 2nd-year HC (see Michael Lombardi quotes) at the helm. 

I think the schedule and eye test is a fair argument against the Eagles, just like I think the fact that the Eagles have blown out pretty much everyone they've played and have a 9-1 record are also valid arguments, I don't think any single argument such as, "You are your record" is truly indicative of a team's strength as the college comparison of a team like Ohio State and UCF then become a viable argument as although UCF has a better record than Ohio State they have vastly different SOS.  The counter to the Eagles SOS argument is that they've blown out every opponent they've faced that they should've beat, but that means when some argue the eye test, experience, etc, then you need to start looking for other reasons to counter those arguments otherwise your only argument is "Well we've beat everyone we've supposed to beat" and that just isn't enough.  There are legit questions about the Eagles, but I also think that they are the #1 team right now as even with their weak SOS they've played amazingly and not at the level that their inexperience would suggest they should.

No team in the NFL is perfect, especially not the top 5-6 teams, and it's going to make for a phenomenal playoffs, probably one of the best in regards to the NFC side of things as every team in the playoffs has a chance to be 11-5 or better and red hot.

50 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Like some of the other Eagles posters said, the Eagles came into the league with the 10th hardest schedule according to ESPN and they can't control who they play and how their opponents are faring this season. One fact is that the eagles have beat 3 of the top 10 defenses this season (Chicago was ranked 10th before philly game). 

I don't think I or anyone has ever said the Rams are better.. Hell the Rams are just here for the bud light dilly dilly.. Just enjoying the ride.. But I like seeing Phillys trophy case empty.. Makes me feel better.

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

If I had to guess, I believe your feeling the lack of respect stems from the lack of talk;  meanwhile everybody’s talking about the Saints and Rams (and a bit of Vikings) 24/7. This is the case because the Eagles are undoubtedly the #1 NFC team for most people. It’s not as much fun to talk about the uncontested #1 as it is to talk about a (seemingly) close race between three teams for #2.

I, and most posters I’ve seen give their two cents on the NFC, have the Eagles as the #1 team. I myself think they’re #1 in the NFL.

My big complaint on the Eagles is that they aren't "battle tested". They played a hot Chiefs team and lost and other than that game, they have a pretty weak schedule. I think the Seahawks and Rams game will be a great measuring tool for how good this team is. Week 17 with Zeke back will be a good test as well, especially for that run defense.

Rams aren't really a threat IMO. They need another year to add some more pieces, but the big step forward from Goff is a sign of things to come for sure.

Vikings and Saints are pretty equal on paper, and IMO both teams are better than the Eagles but time will tell. Vikings will certainly be hard to beat if Keenum keeps playing at this level.

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

Literally nobody has said any of the bolded teams are better....

And few, if any people said the Vikings are better and fewer have said the same about the Saints.

The Eagles have been consensus #1 in the Power Rankings for 8 weeks now on this forum and every forum around the Internet and everywhere that does Power Rankings.

You are legitimately complaining about a perceived problem - that isn't there - rather than worrying about a Super Bowl berth. Come on son. You're better than that.

Who cares who the best team is?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think any combination of the 6 top NFC teams would make for a great match-up.  There are some years where a team(s) make the postseason that don't really have a good chance of making it to the Super Bowl.  I don't think there is a team like that in the NFC playoff field currently.  

Everyone keeps bringing up "who beat who".  Patriots beat the Saints.  Panthers beat the Patriots.  Saints beat the Panthers.  Rams beat the Saints.  Vikings beat the Rams.  Maybe the Falcons beat the Vikings this week.  Panthers will have beaten the Falcons.  Eagles will have beaten the Panthers.  

Eagles are the #1 team right now, but it doesn't matter.  Every game is gonna be tough.  Hell, everyone keeps talking about how good the Saints are and I agree. They are great. They could also very well be the 6th seed 2 weeks from now. 

1 hour ago, MookieMonster said:

My big complaint on the Eagles is that they aren't "battle tested". They played a hot Chiefs team and lost and other than that game, they have a pretty weak schedule. I think the Seahawks and Rams game will be a great measuring tool for how good this team is. Week 17 with Zeke back will be a good test as well, especially for that run defense.

Rams aren't really a threat IMO. They need another year to add some more pieces, but the big step forward from Goff is a sign of things to come for sure.

Vikings and Saints are pretty equal on paper, and IMO both teams are better than the Eagles but time will tell. Vikings will certainly be hard to beat if Keenum keeps playing at this level.

Yes against a Chiefs team that was the hottest in the NFL the first month of the season. A gm the Eagles were in the entire gm up until 1/2 way through the 4th despite losing Darren Sproles and without their best CB Ronald Darby.

Eagles also beat the Carolina Panthers. Beat a Chargers Team now surging! If in the coming two weeks they beat or split with Seattle and the Rams does that Instantly change because "now" the SOS is now higher? 

Not speaking of you in particular but I'm sick and tired of people using the Injury Excuse for their teams when the Eagles have been playing without several key Starters, Pro Bowlers, future HOF now for weeks/months. That's all.

I just remember everyone including most Eagles fans looking at the upcoming 2017 schedule and suggesting Philadelphia "might" win 7 GM's on the year. Now with the parity in the NFL the way it is year in and year out with teams coming out of nowhere like the Rams and Eagles and Supposed power houses like Dallas , Cards and NYG crapping the bed. All of a sudden the schedule they've Played is Trash. That I'll never agree with. 4 of those teams losses came at the hands of the Eagles. That's all.

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

I don't think I or anyone has ever said the Rams are better.. Hell the Rams are just here for the bud light dilly dilly.. Just enjoying the ride.. But I like seeing Phillys trophy case empty.. Makes me feel better.

That Bud Light is ours.  Philly Philly

Archived