Training Camp 2022, Let’s ride!

AnAngryAmerican

17 hours ago, AKRNA said:

And that could very well be. All three posts here, yours, @AnAngryAmerican , and @lomaxgrUK's make good points. I'm just making an observation. Offensively they've probably been more concerned with getting a passing game going and haven't spent much time on the running game yet.

Defensively, well, outside of poor personnel, not much you can point at. I just keep thinking about the Raiders last year. They just ran it down our throats. It's something to keep an eye on.

For what it’s worth, the Broncos’ starters dominated in the trenches against the Cowboys’ starters on both sides of the ball in their joint practice/scrimmage. Obviously not a game but it was full speed until the tackle and the Cowboys got pushed around. 

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Does Billy Turner take Anderson’s job in the next four weeks? I think he probably does. 

DL needs one more body. The top four looks stout but the guys who played on Saturday were getting pushed around. That’s the one area I’d be looking to add a vet.

I think he starts off as the back up RT with Anderson swinging to LT if Bolles goes down. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I think he starts off as the back up RT with Anderson swinging to LT if Bolles goes down. 

In todays NFL you really need LT talent at RT also. From what I've seen, Andersons the only guy we've got that can do that. 

I'm also still pretty apprehensive about our OL staff. 

Rewatched the game, a few thoughts realizing it was mostly backup vs. backup:

-Kendall Hinton really has come on.  Realizing it's only his 4th year as a WR (QB turned WR), that's really impressive.  I have a sneaking suspicion he's now our 4th WR.

-The 5th WR is going to go down between Brandon Johnson & Seth Williams.    Tyrie Cleveland is still pretty much a limited route tree guy.  

-Montrell Washington is locked in as our ST guy, he just brings something we've lacked for years.    On O, mostly a deep shot / bubble screen / jet sweep gadget guy - but that's totally fine.   He's locked up a roster spot without question if he plays like this.   I do think the Broncos are going to try to  keep Kaden Davis on the PS.   He was out there as the 2nd guy for punt returns.

-I think we'll have 3 QB's, but it's easy to see why Josh Johnson gets the nod, and gets so many chances.   Arm talent is there, even if he's probably never more than a backup.   The issue with Brett Rypien is that his arm talent is below average, and he's not good enough in the other areas to make up for it.    It's really apparent in the red zone, with a smaller field of coverage.   Smart dude, great if he's at min wage on your team - but probably won't be more than that. 

-On D, Browning was really impressive.  His bend and spin move on the sack was impressive.

-Bonnito generated pressure, and that's a strong sign - but man, he's got work to do on setting the edge for run plays.   Gotta be able to do both if you want to be more than the 3rd down guy.  It's obviously early, but something to watch for.

-I'm not at all surprised we signed Schobert; along with DL it's still our thinnest area. 

Nothing really else to say, promising 1st game - but the scrimmage advantage we had over Dallas was even more reason to be optimistic IMO.   The above just shows how our depth guys are doing, and so far, for the most part, so good.   

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Is there any chance that DEN can keep both Dre'mont Jones and Bradley Chubb after this year? Not a cap genius but Ben Albright basically made it sound like 1 of, if not both of them are gone after this season....

You can keep both.   Cap manipulation allows it far more than in past years (Brady - TB 2020 contract changed the landscape).    But it’s more a matter of whether they’re worth the market price.

I believe Dre’mont will be; Chubb is trickier given how much EDGE’s command.  I agree with @lomaxgrUK‘a assessment that the Chubb we’ve seen isn’t worth it. He’s definitely still able to improve but 2022 is going to be pivotal in changing that assessment.  The other X factor is if Gregory & Browning & Bonnito play well it makes it easier to focus elsewhere.  But that’s far from a given obv at this stage.  

Edited by Broncofan

21 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I don't know if it was just me or not, but he whole feel of the first game seemed better than it has since 2015.

That two minute drill at the end of the half the other day was run to perfection. Offensive coaches generally have a better feel for clock management and those types of in-game things than do coaches with a defensive background. For all the (entirely justified) grief we give him around here, Mac actually had somewhat decent clock and game management abilities, far superior to both Fangjo and Vance of our three recent failed HCs. 

28 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That two minute drill at the end of the half the other day was run to perfection. Offensive coaches generally have a better feel for clock management and those types of in-game things than do coaches with a defensive background. For all the (entirely justified) grief we give him around here, Mac actually had somewhat decent clock and game management abilities, far superior to both Fangjo and Vance of our three recent failed HCs. 

It should be acknowledged that the game management was A+ on the defensive side as well.  They let the clock run until the sack on 2nd down then used the TO to give the O enough time.  A lot of coaches would have let the clock run out given Dal was still in our territory.    Hopefully that play-to-win mentality and optimal game management isn’t just because it’s a preseason game.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

- will be interesting to see if they try to stash any of the young guys on PS.  Does speak to our WR/S depth (even with Patrick out). 

It would be a bizarre strategy if we did put them on PS. Why would we cut them now, and not get 2 games worth of film from them before making that decision?

If it's a ploy to help sneak them onto PS, that is a strategy I've never heard of before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It would be a bizarre strategy if we did put them on PS. Why would we cut them now, and not get 2 games worth of film from them before making that decision?

If it's a ploy to help sneak them onto PS, that is a strategy I've never heard of before. 

For sure, just thinking out loud.   Bigger point though is how deep both groups are (with Patrick WR was insane - Fulgham was a top 5 WR on Philly, and even started games outright <which was a gong show admittedly>).   For the S corps, Sterns was the clear standout between him & Johnson rookie-wise - but I suspect in our darker years, he'd still be on the roster.   It's a good problem to have.

Edited by Broncofan

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

For sure, just thinking out loud.   Bigger point though is how deep both groups are (with Patrick WR was insane - Fulgham was a top 5 WR on Philly, and even started games outright <which was a gong show admittedly>).   For the S corps, Sterns was the clear standout between him & Johnson rookie-wise - but I suspect in our darker years, he'd still be on the roster.   It's a good problem to have.

Yeh, I think Washington as a draft pick, then Johnson shining as a UDFA really through a spanner in the works at WR for the other fringe guys.

As for Safety - I don't think Jamar Johnson was competing with Sterns, really. His job has been taken by PJ Locke and Turner-Yell. As soon as the latter two proved they can play ST (which I assume they have), it made J.Johnson disposable. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeh, I think Washington as a draft pick, then Johnson shining as a UDFA really through a spanner in the works at WR for the other fringe guys.

As for Safety - I don't think Jamar Johnson was competing with Sterns, really. His job has been taken by PJ Locke and Turner-Yell. As soon as the latter two proved they can play ST (which I assume they have), it made J.Johnson disposable. 

I was referring to the draft class more than actually performance - Sterns head and shoulders ahead of Johnson obv.

I don’t have any issue with him getting cut I agree he shouldn’t beat out either guy - but it might be more a reflection of our S depth than a failed pick.    Will be interesting to see if another team takes a shot.  

• Like 1

Regardless whether we cut them now or on the final cuts, if another team wants any of them they'll find a way. And the less practice/preseason film on them for those teams to scout, we act less of a farm system . IDK, but I do see a few of those guys hitting our PS. They could also have some sort of secret handshake or just giving young guys more of a  good will opportunity to catch on with another team (and how often does that work out ?). And cutting them at this point of the preseason, still most teams will want to continue looking at their own "excess" roster players I would think. IDK, just some thoughts there.

I can easily think WR's Davis and Fulgham, RB Borghi, S Johnson all made enough impression enough to land on the PS, hoping all do so after that 3rd preseason game.

Edited by Cutler06