Training Camp 2022, Let’s ride!

AnAngryAmerican

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The top 4 IDL were out and they mostly played 3rd string OL. Unlikely that it’s indicative of anything. 

I'm not so sure. I know our best personnel weren't in there, not even close. That said. I've heard multiple times the philosophy is basically, let Wilson and CO. put up a ton of points so the other team has to throw. Our running game ls not well coached right now, probably they haven't practiced it much.

Also, our defense did not seem prepared to deal with a running attack and it shows. 

It just stuck out to me on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'm not so sure. I know our best personnel weren't in there, not even close. That said. I've heard multiple times the philosophy is basically, let Wilson and CO. put up a ton of points so the other team has to throw. Our running game ls not well coached right now, probably they haven't practiced it much.

Also, our defense did not seem prepared to deal with a running attack and it shows. 

It just stuck out to me on both sides of the ball. 

They are implementing the stretch running game as the basis of the offense (aka the shanahan version of the WCO). Every time it’s been implemented it’s taken until the 5th or 6th week of the season to really hit its stride. 

I have no doubts it will be the same here, especially considering Russ is at his best throwing on the playaction and boots 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

They are implementing the stretch running game as the basis of the offense (aka the shanahan version of the WCO). Every time it’s been implemented it’s taken until the 5th or 6th week of the season to really hit its stride. 

I have no doubts it will be the same here, especially considering Russ is at his best throwing on the playaction and boots 

You’re exactly right. 

And it’s not until the calendar turns to October that things really start to get serious.

The way the CBA has taken away the traditional development aspect of camp/preseason, you don’t really know what you can do, what kind of team you can be for 3-4 games, Belichick has known this for years. 

Throw in that we have a new, complex scheme, with a rookie head coach, rookie coordinators and a new QB (great as he is) the learning curve is extreme. 

This is not the Super Bowl year. Just like 2012 wasn’t the Super Bowl year when we brought in Peyton.

Everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

I wonder if the pass / run ratio was a reflection of Coach protecting players.

Clearly he's little interest in seeing most of his starters, like McVay does in preseason.

Run plays are much more dangerous for OL; perhaps that's why we were so pass heavy early on.

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

And that could very well be. All three posts here, yours, @AnAngryAmerican , and @lomaxgrUK's make good points. I'm just making an observation. Offensively they've probably been more concerned with getting a passing game going and haven't spent much time on the running game yet.

Defensively, well, outside of poor personnel, not much you can point at. I just keep thinking about the Raiders last year. They just ran it down our throats. It's something to keep an eye on.

The new coaching staff just don’t seem to fancy Cooper at all. Shame as he flashed potential in spots last year.

Baron Browning about to make a lot of us (myself included) who doubted his move to edge eat crow.

We will be fine at ILB I think. Singleton looked decent. 

On the bright side both Turner & Gregory now ready to practice.    4 weeks to get into game shape.   Fingers crossed Gregory an absolute terror in pass rush when healthy.  

And Turner vs. Anderson for RT gives us much needed depth at T.  No way Cam Fleming playing at T is a good thing.  

Edited by Broncofan

Good to hear K’waun Williams getting closer he’s our best slot option.   Muti not going to be in picture for a while (hopefully just a cleanup - no info on how serious it was).  If he’s out a while seems like a clear path for Glasgow to stick.  

I don’t put much stock in preseason results because it’s almost always 3rd stringers deciding the game late, and 2nd stringers playing most of the 1H.  And you get 2nd vs 3rd string etc.   It also doesn’t show the in-game coaching or our starting talent - and why the inter-squad scrimmages probably matter more now.  

But the games do show how deep we are roster wise and how well coached teams are in fundamentals.  In that lens it’s hard not to be optimistic on how the rebuild has gone - our reserves really showed out.    And the fact our starters had so much success against DAL in the scrimmages really reinforces this.  

I’m looking forward to seeing how we do vs.  BUF.   I don’t expect we’ll be better but it’s a true barometer of where we’re at depth wise (again realizing the limits in projecting results to reg season).  

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The more I watch/listen to Hacketts press conferences the more I think hiring him was another home run move by George. 

I had that feeling since that hire was made guys Blake bortles led offense was a play or two away to beating Tom Brady and the patriots to go to the Superbowl. 

• Like 1