Training Camp 2022, Let’s ride!

AnAngryAmerican

A few random observations from the game tonight: 

-DL played a lot better tonight.   Even though Minny RB got the TD the DL stood tough there.   ILB Gemmell flashed as a run to ball guy.   Agim had a couple of nice stops to force 4th down which was good to see.  He really played well tonight.  And Uwazaricke got some push inside.   Vs. backups so there’s context but obv a lot better than last week (although it was starter vs 2nd team then 2nd team vs 3rd team a lot last week, to be fair).  

-Aaron Patrick deserves a PS spot.  There’s something there.  He made several hustle and athleticism plays.    Hustle plays don’t get you far but he’s got athleticism that translates.  His 2-play screen stop as the only guy on that side followed his pass rush on 4th down showed both motor and athleticism in spades  (teaming up with the other impact guy tonight - more on that later) saved the go-ahead TD.   And it wasn’t just that series.     He was a handful for the MIN OL when he was in.  

-Browning & Bonnito showed big flashes.  Obv it’s vs. backups but that’s what you’re supposed to do.   Obv some work to do but it’s good to see. 

-Delarrin Turner-Yell is a baller.  He was a bright spot last week and again was flying around but also disruptive as a pass rusher / cover S.  I think his play probably ousted Jaylon Johnson more than PJ Locke.    We’ve got an embarrassment of riches at the S position. 

-I’m pretty sure Seth Williams at worst secured a PS spot.   Jalen Vigil won’t make the team but I hope he latches on somewhere.   He’s got talent enough to be on someone’s PS. 

As it was backups vs.  backups this doesn’t project much on how we’ll do.  But it’s a far more accurate reflection of where our org is at depth / talent wise than last week.   

Going to be an interesting Tuesday with roster cuts and PS moves; then of course we’re finally on to real games to look forward to.  Can’t wait!  

Edited by Broncofan

Gotta add the RB situation looks like it's in good hands, hope Paton is even considering what they could get for Melvin Gordon right now. 

And I would also try to keep Seth Williams and Jalen Virgil onto the PS. 

Edited by Cutler06

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Will be watching the Steelers, chiefs, and Texans DL cuts closely. They are all fairly deep and seem to run a similar enough 2 gap scheme that their leftovers (Khalen Saunders is a favorite of mine) should be better than most of our depth.

Everyone is expecting one or more DL pickups but I’m not convinced that’ll be the case. We will keep 6 or 7 on the 53. DeShawn Williams and Jones x2 are likely your starters, Purcell probably sticks around as a veteran backup, McTelvin Agim cemented his status on the team with an MVP performance yesterday, and then we’ve got two young draft picks in Hennigsen and Uwazurike. 

59 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Any chance K-Jack is a casualty w/ how the safety depth has come on?

Hard to say he'd be a casualty, especially given he never got to play in preseason. They already made that decision in TC. If anything, he could  become a trade asset but only to a contender IMO

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Bit of a surprise but the competition was close.  And IIRC Waitman had more hang time.  

I’d imagine the Bills should be calling Martin. 

The move netted us $1.45m in cap space. That can be used to add a veteran post cuts, or an in-season injury replacement or rollover to next year. Good move by George as I don't think we lose much, if anything, in going from Martin to Waitman. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Bit of a surprise but the competition was close.  And IIRC Waitman had more hang time.  

I’d imagine the Bills should be calling Martin. 

By over half a second per punt. I do worry about recency bias playing too big of a role in this decision, especially considering just how good Martin was last year, but it’s punting and I hate punting, so I won’t worry *too* much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

By over half a second per punt. I do worry about recency bias playing too big of a role in this decision, especially considering just how good Martin was last year, but it’s punting and I hate punting, so I won’t worry *too* much. 

0.5 secs diff is nuts.  Zero returns.  Apparently was the same in practice.    Now there’s more to punting than hang time but I can see why they made the call.  1.4M saved helps but the future potential there is very justifiable. 

Edited by Broncofan

Overall the move makes sense, I am a little concerned the new guy is going to be way too inconsistent. He’s had a few ugly punts this preseason. 

I hope he can be the punter that finally takes advantage of the altitude. Tired of getting outpunted at home week after week.

Was Martin that good last year, though? I know the Net yardage was top 5 in the league, so it sounds bonkers to question that. But my uneducated eye test never really liked him. 

As others have said, the hangtime isn't there and it felt he was always good for an ill-timed shank (shoutout all my struggling golfers who can relate).

I'm not opposed to us moving on, really. 

If the competition is close, take the cheaper guy. There will always be punters to bring in if it doesn't work out. Martin wasn't a bad punter, but I don't think he was *great* either. The Top 5 Net Yardage is great, but doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. Won't lose sleep over it, plus the cap space helps.