Training Camp 2022, Let’s ride!

AnAngryAmerican

The Cowboys stream had a great view of the Broncos front 7. The front 4-5 looked awesome against the Cowboys OL. Dre’Mont was wrecking play after play, DeShawn Williams looked awesome and all of the OLBs were getting pressure. They got in 6-7 little “mini-fights” after plays and seemed to be in the heads of that OL. They were talking **** and imposing their will. We won’t see any of these guys against Dallas so it was fun to watch for a half hour of the defense.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Heard Bradley Chubb was a monster yesterday. Most know that I don't rate him anywhere near his reputation; I sure would love to be proven wrong

I'm opposite  I always been super high on him but the reputation and production aren't there. I'm sure they will be in a contract year fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm opposite  I always been super high on him but the reputation and production aren't there. I'm sure they will be in a contract year fingers crossed.

In all fairness he has had two mostly healthy seasons out of four, and made the Pro Bowl (I know, I know) in one and had 12.5 sacks in the other. 

Now I get the best ability is availability - just like how ball security is job security (thanks, Brock) - but the talent is there, the dedication is there, his coaches and teammates and FO guys, through the Elway/Vance, Elway/Fangio, Elway/George/Fangio and George/Hackett/Evero regimes have sung his praises too to bottom, I think he shows out well this season. 

If he gets hurt again we can’t pay him, and that’s why George signed Gregory and drafted Bonito but if Chubb plays like he can this year and stays healthy, he can be elite. He might not have the HOF game-wrecking pass rush upside that Von did but he is an exceptionally well-rounder player and from what I’ve heard Evero and the defensive staff are - in contrast to Vic - actually coaching and designing and scheming to their available talent. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Heard Bradley Chubb was a monster yesterday. Most know that I don't rate him anywhere near his reputation; I sure would love to be proven wrong

To be fair, you’ve never exactly questioned his talent/upside. Just said that he’s not been available regularly enough, and even when he was on the field, his returns have been short of what you expect from a top 5 overall pick. That’s objectively true.

I think Chubb has one of the biggest range of outcomes. If this season goes as well as possible then he gets tagged and signed to a MASSIVE long term deal. If it doesn’t go well and/or he gets hurt again, he walks and could end up flaming out of the league like the once promising Shane Ray.

Anything in between is possible. 

The Broncos are looking to amass significant talent at the edge position, it felt like Reed has been the odd man out so far. But with the anticipated contract he's expecting, perhaps  we should think about trading Chubb ( in a Roquan Smith deal ?) and keeping Reed, Browning, Gregory and Bonnito (along with high potential Christopher Allen) at the deadline. 

42 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

To be fair, you’ve never exactly questioned his talent/upside. Just said that he’s not been available regularly enough, and even when he was on the field, his returns have been short of what you expect from a top 5 overall pick. That’s objectively true.

I think Chubb has one of the biggest range of outcomes. If this season goes as well as possible then he gets tagged and signed to a MASSIVE long term deal. If it doesn’t go well and/or he gets hurt again, he walks and could end up flaming out of the league like the once promising Shane Ray.

Anything in between is possible. 

On balance, I don’t disagree.

Ray however never flashed the in-game ability that Chubb, when healthy, has. Does anyone remember a “signature play” from him? Ray had great physical skills and checked many boxes but it never, EVER was demonstrated on the field. Chubb has produced when healthy. Produced at the top-5 level like Von, a generational player and likely first ballot HOF’r, no? But produced well, when healthy, yes. 

I don’t think, barring injury, his floor is that of Shane Ray. 

11 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

The Broncos are looking to amass significant talent at the edge position, it felt like Reed has been the odd man out so far. But with the anticipated contract he's expecting, perhaps  we should think about trading Chubb ( in a Roquan Smith deal ?) and keeping Reed, Browning, Gregory and Bonnito (along with high potential Christopher Allen) at the deadline. 

We can always explore tag and trade options in the offseason.  But if we’re legitimately saying now is our window there are no deadline sales.   Offseason sure.   Hopefully Gregory / Bonnito / Browning play so well it’s a good scenario to be in.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

We can always explore tag and trade options in the offseason.  But if we’re legitimately saying now is our window there are no deadline sales.   Offseason sure.   Hopefully Gregory / Bonnito / Browning play so well it’s a good scenario to be in.  

Trading Chubb (+) for Smith would only enhance our opportunities for success IMO. We're already seemingly strong at OLB as compared to the apparent weakness/dissatisfaction at the ILB position, which Smith would easily make into a strength.  And you can bet there are teams out there already looking to acquire Smith, wait until the offseason and chances are he won't be available. 

Edited by Cutler06

39 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Trading Chubb (+) for Smith would only enhance our opportunities for success IMO. We're already seemingly strong at OLB as compared to the apparent weakness/dissatisfaction at the ILB position, which Smith would easily make into a strength.  And you can bet there are teams out there already looking to acquire Smith, wait until the offseason and chances are he won't be available. 

This is a good point. And we all know George wants more picks for 2023 and cap flexibility, not sure if both can be achieved but elite off ball LBs usually cost less than good EDGEs. It’s worth looking into. And the notoriously cheap McKaskeys (and I say that as a Bears fan) could view it as a positive move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Yeah sorry I thought you meant selling  at deadline.   It’s not a crazy scenario to get Roquan.   I don’t think it happens though but that’s a better scenario than a straight sell off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

It's a long season. I'd prefer to keep the talent and depth at one of the most important positions on the team, EDGE. Especially given Gregory is still out rehabbing. If he is out for any considerable amount of time and we trade off Chubb, I would hate rolling out Browning and Reed as our starting OLBs. 

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah sorry I thought you meant selling  at deadline.   It’s not a crazy scenario to get Roquan.   I don’t think it happens though but that’s a better scenario than a straight sell off.  

I agree the possibility is remote but I personally think this would make our defense the best in our division, perhaps even in the conference. And lets be honest, Chubb hasn't had the best injury history, Roquan has been stellar

Edited by Cutler06

17 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Top 5 picks IMO should be in pretty rarified air. I never thought that of Chubb. Hard worker, great motor good athlete, quickness were his main strengths, but nothing really outstanding. Decent size for a 4-3 DE. Should fit well there.

I was all over Nelson though. A freak of nature. Generational talent. Plays at 350 and moves like a man 40 lbs lighter. I remember once posting he'd be the most dominant OG in the NFL the day he steps on the field. Draft him with our 1st and pencil him in as an All-pro until he retires.

In my life I'd never seen a more pro ready OLineman and doubt I ever will again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Top 5 picks IMO should be in pretty rarified air. I never thought that of Chubb. Hard worker, great motor good athlete, quickness were his main strengths, but nothing really outstanding. Decent size for a 4-3 DE. Should fit well there.

I was all over Nelson though. A freak of nature. Generational talent. Plays at 350 and moves like a man 40 lbs lighter. I remember once posting he'd be the most dominant OG in the NFL the day he steps on the field. Draft him with our 1st and pencil him in as an All-pro until he retires.

In my life I'd never seen a more pro ready OLineman and doubt I ever will again.

Everyone had Chubb as a top 4 pick that year so him falling to us was anticipated as a windfall. As for Nelson, I agree he is a generational talent (and I know your fondness for all the big uglies) but still so easy to see it clearer with hindsight. 

And to be fair, Chubb's 12.5 sacks in his first year was what was expected to continue and grow upon, Von was getting up there and needed a pairing of Chubb's stature to further his career. But two injury years has diminished Bradley's career overview, it'll be interesting to see what he brings this year as well.