Training Camp 2022, Let’s ride!

AnAngryAmerican

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

So apparently Cush hasn’t rotated at all and Risner hasn’t rotated with anyone in several days. LT-LG-C-RG might be set. And Billy Turner could run out of time to unseat Calvin Anderson, at least before Week 1.

Important to develop consistency and cohesion on the OL, it’ll be critical for this offense to work well. The more reps they all get together and with Russ, the better.

I'm glad Anderson has had so many reps, and from what I've read, has held his own.

He definitely has the talent to be a good starting NFL Tackle and that is rare. I've always liked listening to him speak too; he seems to have 'his head screwed on', so health depending, I like his chances of winning that spot and keeping it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I'm glad Anderson has had so many reps, and from what I've read, has held his own.

He definitely has the talent to be a good starting NFL Tackle and that is rare. I've always liked listening to him speak too; he seems to have 'his head screwed on', so health depending, I like his chances of winning that spot and keeping it.

Turner’s success and versatility with Hackett in GB would also allow him to step in at either G spot or RT and succeed.    Given his age though it’s a now option mostly.   If Anderson wins the job and Turner is healthy that’s far more reassuring than in past years where it’s “last guy standing” at RT.    Even if Anderson doesn’t start it helps knowing he seems ready to be a regular.   Definitely worth tracking for next offseason too.  

Turner was hands down the best RT left in FA when he signed. If Anderson can win the job that’s even better.   If healthy Turner would provide a ton of security at multiple spots.   It’s such a different feeling thinking we might actually have depth on the OL that can play on Sunday’s and succeed. 

Edited by Broncofan

Pretty sure I read that Muti and Risner have rotated at the LG spot. Overall though, I wouldn't read into who is taking first team reps yet. I'm sure they're still working out who the best 5 are and giving opportunities for everyone to work in incase of injuries during the season. I'm personally not going to assume who the 1s are going to be until at least after the 1st preseason game.

Offensively, Juedy has been receiving a lot of positive praise for how hard he's working. Saw he even sat in the QB room meeting at the start of camp to see how the QBs talk about the offense. Good to hear. Washington has been making tons of plays and Saubert has been doing well too. Haven't heard much of Beck and I wonder if this is the year he ends up getting cut. 

Defensively, Browning has been getting lots of attention. Curious if it continues when the pads come on. Haven't really heard anything about Bonitto, Reed, or really any other OLB. Mathis has been making some plays too. We'll see if he can limit his penalties in games but reports are he has been sticky in coverage. 

ST wise, Martin has been most consistent but Waitman (left footy alert!) has had the best punts in camp although inconsistent.  

Overall, feeling so anxious for preseason/games to start! I wanna see this new team/system in action!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Pretty sure I read that Muti and Risner have rotated at the LG spot. Overall though, I wouldn't read into who is taking first team reps yet. I'm sure they're still working out who the best 5 are and giving opportunities for everyone to work in incase of injuries during the season. I'm personally not going to assume who the 1s are going to be until at least after the 1st preseason game.

Offensively, Juedy has been receiving a lot of positive praise for how hard he's working. Saw he even sat in the QB room meeting at the start of camp to see how the QBs talk about the offense. Good to hear. Washington has been making tons of plays and Saubert has been doing well too. Haven't heard much of Beck and I wonder if this is the year he ends up getting cut. 

Defensively, Browning has been getting lots of attention. Curious if it continues when the pads come on. Haven't really heard anything about Bonitto, Reed, or really any other OLB. Mathis has been making some plays too. We'll see if he can limit his penalties in games but reports are he has been sticky in coverage. 

ST wise, Martin has been most consistent but Waitman (left footy alert!) has had the best punts in camp although inconsistent.  

Overall, feeling so anxious for preseason/games to start! I wanna see this new team/system in action!

Awesome breakdown - have you or anyone else heard if Hackett is going to play the 1st unit a fair amount?  

More teams nowadays view the scrimmages / practice time as more valuable and less helpful esp since D’s are playing mostly vanilla schemes.   It’s also why preseason success doesn’t translate so well (but struggles are a big flag).  

On the flip side the teams that are most likely to get a lot of preseason reps are those with new schemes / staff.  Seems like we might get more 1st team work given that.  

Anyone get any news here?  Even though the starters aren’t playing tonight still good to see football back tonight with the HoF game, I'd hope we see our guys get more reps than we'll see with established teams familiar with their scheme. 

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

It’s hard to know what to make of 2019 Lock. I remember being so impressed with his willingness to always “take a profit” in that run, 4 yard dump offs here, scramble for 3 yards there. Not a lot wasted,  making the most out of plays when the first read wasn’t there. A year later, that kind of patience was gone. He couldn’t stop throwing the ball vertically (out of the stadium into Kansas) when he had guys underneath or at the sticks. His regression mentally was odd.

Thats the big difference between Scangs system and Shurmur's. Scangs, typical Walsh WCO, move the chains, take what they give you.

Both Fangio and Shurmur emphasized the vertical game way too much. I think Lock just bought in.

• Like 3

So what do people think of Hackett’s approach to camp? I don’t think they’ve had back-to-back full pad, full speed days at all. They seem to like doing these mental walk-through practices where they go through as many 11-on-11 plays as possible without actually playing live football. Not a lot of 7-on-7 or 1-on-1 work. Seems to be a little more time spent practicing special teams. 

It’s a very different approach from Fangio so it will be interesting to see if they can get off to a faster start and look fresher and more physical. Fangio’s first year the team was beat up by the end of camp. It’s a tricky thing to navigate. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

So what do people think of Hackett’s approach to camp? I don’t think they’ve had back-to-back full pad, full speed days at all. They seem to like doing these mental walk-through practices where they go through as many 11-on-11 plays as possible without actually playing live football. Not a lot of 7-on-7 or 1-on-1 work. Seems to be a little more time spent practicing special teams. 

It’s a very different approach from Fangio so it will be interesting to see if they can get off to a faster start and look fresher and more physical. Fangio’s first year the team was beat up by the end of camp. It’s a tricky thing to navigate. 

It’s definitely different.  No 7-on-7 makes a lot sense if you’re doing alternate days.   The mental sim part has a fair amount of data to support it.   The flip side is that Hackett & co. may want to see more preseason game reps.  

The main reason why teams are going away from this is 2-fold - injury risk reduction for meaningless games (duh) and the tendency for D’s to play vanilla schemes (base D).   I think the latter is why we see teams play more reps on D in the preseason.   It will be interesting to see their philosophy with preseason game time for the starters. 

A few things I’ve read/heard about the coaching staff: 

-Evero will coach from the sidelines, talked about the importance of connecting and communicating with players directly during the game. My guess is Dom Capers will be the one in the box.

-Outten will coach from the box, no surprise there. Hackett I’m sure will be a much more lively sideline presence than Fangio was. It will be a lot to handle for a first time coach as both play caller + communicator + emotional presence but he seems to have the inconceivable kind of energy level to pull it off. 

-The DL has been raving about their new coach Marcus Dixon. They are a very confident group. Bill Kollar is on “special assignment” as a defensive consultant in a stay-at-home capacity. Sounds like he was ready to make that move.

-Seems to be an open invitation to all Broncos alum to come to Dove Valley to watch and interact with the team. It feels like a Broncos reunion every day. 

• Like 5

FZwjiVeUUAAdv5W?format=jpg&name=medium

Few thoughts on initial Offensive depth chart:

- Rypien behind Johnson is a bit of a surprise. Reports from camp that I've read have Rypien outplaying Josh thus far
- Eric Saubert is wayyyyy down the depth chart. You'd have to imagine him and Tomlinson are fighting for one roster spot. I thought the team would 'punish' Dulcich for the time he's missed; clearly they haven't. Special Teams going to be a deciding factor I imagine
- Usually teams list players has backup for multiple positions on the OL if they are planning on using them in that way. I thought Glasgow might be down as the backup Center, but he isn't

FZwjoZYUEAElCuu?format=jpg&name=medium

- Still worried about that DE depth chart. Great reviews in camp so far about DeShawn Williams, but even still, we're paper thin
- Both Aaron Patrick AND Kongbo are ahead of Cooper on the OLB depth chart. That's a huge surprise. Cooper has no shot of staying on the roster if he can't beat BOTH of those guys out
- Happy for Ojemudia. He must be doing something right to be 4th on the depth chart, and he's definitely making the team if he stays there
- Jamar Johnson is going to have to show out on Special Teams to make the roster. There's been rave reviews out of camp for Locke, and Locke played very well in preseason last year

• Like 3

Should be noted that Purcell has been playing DE as well. They have been using heavy packages where they line Purcell and DJ Jones next to each other. Purcell will be the 4th DL. Need to find out who will be the last DL in that rotation as they will almost certainly be playing 5. 

Edited by BroncoBruin