Dallas Cowboys sign LB Anthony Barr

TheRealMcCoy

Not sure what Barr is outside of Zimmer’s scheme. He’s always been a bit of difficult player to understand. First thought when drafted was that he’d be a pass rusher but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Barr was always solid in coverage and real good at assignments and stopping the run. Just a really odd player overall at 9 back in 2014 given what his role ended up being. 

Not sure what he has left in the tank and I can’t even try and predict his role in Dallas but it likely isn’t pass rusher. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not sure what Barr is outside of Zimmer’s scheme. He’s always been a bit of difficult player to understand. First thought when drafted was that he’d be a pass rusher but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Barr was always solid in coverage and real good at assignments and stopping the run. Just a really odd player overall at 9 back in 2014 given what his role ended up being. 

Not sure what he has left in the tank and I can’t even try and predict his role in Dallas but it likely isn’t pass rusher. 

They need depth for the traditional LB roles to allow Parsons to rush more IMO. Decent signing.

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Reminds me so much of what happened with Manny Lawson. 

I don’t get this signing at all. Takk McKinley, who they brought in for a visit this week? Sure.  An outside linebacker like Barr? Not at all.  Parsons is doing things that Barr wasn’t even projected to be capable of.  

Sounds cool signing a known name, but he’s not going to make much if any impact over what we have, while we have a serious need at WR2 and RT. 

Edited by ///mcompact

I think it is a solid depth signing. Not sure what he will do but I won't be shocked if he looks good with Dan Quinn. The Cowboys clearly leaning hard on their defense this season. The offense... good luck.

Edited by ACO

3 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

I don’t get this signing at all. Takk McKinley, who they brought in for a visit this week? Sure.  An outside linebacker like Barr? Not at all.  Parsons is doing things that Barr wasn’t even projected to be capable of.  

Sounds cool signing a known name, but he’s not going to make much if any impact over what we have, while we have a serious need at WR2 and RT. 

forgive me for my potential ignorance but...

After Micah Parsons and Leighton Vander Esch who do the Cowboys really have at LB? Perhaps I'm overlooking someone, but I would've considered it a position of need, so... seems like a sensical landing spot and a decent rotational/depth signing to me, at least.

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Barr should have been used as a pass rusher throughout his career. Zimmer wasted him at OLB in a 4-3 scheme. Does he still have the talent? I don't know, but the guy was born to play OLB in a 3-4.

7 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Barr should have been used as a pass rusher throughout his career. Zimmer wasted him at OLB in a 4-3 scheme. Does he still have the talent? I don't know, but the guy was born to play OLB in a 3-4.

Except he only did it for a couple of years in college. I think it’s pure speculation that he could have been good at it in the NFL based on his unique size and athleticism. But from an ability standpoint, hard to say. 

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

forgive me for my potential ignorance but...

After Micah Parsons and Leighton Vander Esch who do the Cowboys really have at LB? Perhaps I'm overlooking someone, but I would've considered it a position of need, so... seems like a sensical landing spot and a decent rotational/depth signing to me, at least.

Nobody, really. Jabril Cox could very well be a steal, but he missed all of last year due to injury...so nobody really knows. He's been showing flashes in camp thus far, but how many times has someone showed something in camp and then when the real games start disappears?

Quinn should get the most out of him, and his versatility should allow them to roll out a couple different looks, especially with Parsons next to him.