Watson and NFL settle on 11 game suspension, $5M fine

Webmaster

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Pete Rose is arguably the biggest villain in sports history and he didnt kill anybody, domestic abuse or take steroids--but he illegally gambled on games. Its the biggest sin you can possibly commit in sports.

He, um… he did commit statutory rape.

• Like 5

You can't gamble because people start worrying you'll intentionally impact games. It directly affects the sport.

What players do off the field is literally only PR for the NFL. If we want more serious consequences we should look to the legal system rather than employers.

• Like 6

This sucks for the Browns, football-wise, but if they can hold tight, they should still be able to make a playoff push by seasons end.

My biggest concern would be... how good is Watson right now, really?  Obviously when he's point, not many out there are better.  But it will have been well over a year since his last game, and he isn't allowed to practice with the team during his suspension right?

On top of that, 4 of his 6 eligible games would be outdoors in cold weather.  So not the easiest situation for a QB to jump into.  Obviously you play him and let him get some action, but I would temper my expectations with Watson until 2023.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its kind of wild that Deshaun Watson is actually 5 months younger than Baker Mayfield

Yep. Watson and Mahomes are 3 days apart. Mayfield started at Texas Tech as a walkon true freshman in 2013. He transferred to OU the following year when Mahomes arrived and sat out a year before playing 3 more years, while Mahomes and Watson were only in college 3 years total.

Can Watson ever win MVP? Say he has a 1984 Dan Marino-type season mixed in with a 1989 Joe Montana-type playoff waltz to the Lombardi for Cleveland...all in 2023...will the foosball tribe award him 1st Team All Pro in addition to league MVP? Nutty scenario I know, but I get wrapped up in these alternate timelines sometimes, so forgive me. Maybe there is a morbid side of me that wants to see society squirm to a degree hee hee haw haws.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

51 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

This sucks for the Browns, football-wise, but if they can hold tight, they should still be able to make a playoff push by seasons end.

My biggest concern would be... how good is Watson right now, really?  Obviously when he's point, not many out there are better.  But it will have been well over a year since his last game, and he isn't allowed to practice with the team during his suspension right?

On top of that, 4 of his 6 eligible games would be outdoors in cold weather.  So not the easiest situation for a QB to jump into.  Obviously you play him and let him get some action, but I would temper my expectations with Watson until 2023.

He will have missed basically 2 years by that point as well... maybe 2024. Lucky he's so young and this won't ruin his career. We HAVE to remember that he's only 26. (and a heck of a football player)

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Yeah, I won't be surprised if he looks fairly mediocre when he comes back. Just gotta hope, as a Browns fan, the last stretch of games this season will help him wear off the rust and he'll come back strong next season.

30 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Can Watson ever win MVP? Say he has a 1984 Dan Marino-type season mixed in with a 1989 Joe Montana-type playoff waltz to the Lombardi for Cleveland...all in 2023...will the foosball tribe award him 1st Team All Pro in addition to league MVP? Nutty scenario I know, but I get wrapped up in these alternate timelines sometimes, so forgive me. Maybe there is a morbid side of me that wants to see society squirm to a degree hee hee haw haws.

He can still win an MVP and AP. Fans won't like it but it can happen.  He may have to work ALOT harder than the average player to garner the equal amount of votes (given the situation and how fresh the topic is) but it can still happen for sure IMO.

Time and success cures all (in the eyes of voters anyhow). This year... he isn't going to get ANY love whatsoever. Not even a single vote. I don't care if the Browns are 17-0 and he puts up God like numbers for the last 6 weeks.

But if he balls out every week next year then the headlines will slowly become less and less about what he's done, and more about his success on the field, and that will start to sway more opinions in his favor.  It might not be enough to win MVP just yet (regardless of how well he plays) but even a #2 AP selection wouldn't surprise me at all.

Voters can be forgiving. We seen it with Mike Vick.  But the majority of NFL fans, however, are never going to be okay with him getting any sort of positive recognition for as long as he is in the NFL. I don't care what he does on the field.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The last MVP was a serial plague spreader who lied about his vaccine status and repeatedly failed to wear a mask risking possible exposure to others. The league added up all the incidents of this lying and blatant disregard of others and of the rules. They treated the 10-25 times as 1 time and gave him a small fine instead of 1 or 2 games that probably deserved as a serial offender (of that rule)

One guy said he would not vote for him and that guy was annihilated by just about everyone..

That being said, I think Watson will be blocked from winning because this is very different behavior. I'm not saying never, but it would have to be like 2035 after he spent the last 12 years doing as much good as possible. If he has a Marino '84 in 2024, I still think they pick someone else.

Kobe was 2007-08 NBA MVP (about 5 years after)

Ray Lewis won DPOY and SB MVP the season after the white suit went missing. (Disney went with Dilfer for the commercial)

Santonio may have deserved the MVP of SB XLIII anyway but it may have been easy for writers to not vote for Ben.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1