Watson and NFL settle on 11 game suspension, $5M fine

Webmaster

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Can Watson ever win MVP? Say he has a 1984 Dan Marino-type season mixed in with a 1989 Joe Montana-type playoff waltz to the Lombardi for Cleveland...all in 2023...will the foosball tribe award him 1st Team All Pro in addition to league MVP? Nutty scenario I know, but I get wrapped up in these alternate timelines sometimes, so forgive me. Maybe there is a morbid side of me that wants to see society squirm to a degree hee hee haw haws.

There’s a morbid side of me that wants to see him tear an Achilles 

• Like 1

Obviously this is a big set back for Watson's grand plan, but it is still just a matter of time.  So the big question is how long this delays Watson push for GM control of the Browns?  Will he have influence by the draft or will he have to wait until the 2023 season?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Someone please explain again how a QB who hasn't played in a year, went 4-12 in that year, and is 28-25 overall, whose only playoff win is due to a horrid call (among other stuff) is going to make the Browns an instant Superb Owl contender in a brand new offense.

He won't, at least this year.

Matt Stafford is the precedent, though

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It’s a good job billionaires have billionaire dads, isn’t it. 

this guy would be flipping burgers 

Yeah that's something most people tend to forget about NFL owners when discussing decisions the league makes. Your average NFL owner had a great grandpa that was rich. They are 3 generations deep into "can't screw it up" levels of wealth. They aren't special business people or smarter than your average college grad and if you were to adjust for their opportunities, most have done worse than an average person would being born into their situation.

The majority of them have a business or law degree. Woopdie doo. We have people that post on this forum with those credentials and they weren't born with a dad rich enough to get them private tutors and buy their way into school even with a C average.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

When he comes back I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s pretty bad, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s really good straight away.

I think the time away from football has skewed memories a bit.

Yes, Deshaun Watson is great at playing QB. But people are forgetting some of his flaws - holds onto the ball WAY too long, takes sacks he shouldn’t take, forces throws into coverages he shouldn’t be throwing into, locks into his target early and doesn’t look coverage off, propensity to fumble the ball a LOT - those were pretty consistent over the entirety of his career. 

To those that follow him - go ahead and start working on yelling “GET RID OF IT!” right now. You’re going to be yelling it very frequently over the course of his career.

• Like 3

Just now, ET80 said:

I think the time away from football has skewed memories a bit.

Yes, Deshaun Watson is great at playing QB. But people are forgetting some of his flaws - holds onto the ball WAY too long, takes sacks he shouldn’t take, forces throws into coverages he shouldn’t be throwing into, locks into his target early and doesn’t look coverage off, propensity to fumble the ball a LOT - those were pretty consistent over the entirety of his career. 

To those that follow him - go ahead and start working on yelling “GET RID OF IT!” right now. You’re going to be yelling it very frequently over the course of his career.

You just described Baker Mayfield minus the "great at playing QB" portion.

*Holds the ball too long: CHECK

*Takes sacks he shouldn't take: CHECK

*Forces throws into coverage: DOUBLE CHECK

*Locks onto his target early and doesn't look coverage off: LOL, DOUBLE CHECK

*Propensity to fumble the ball a LOT: 1/2 of a check

I think the fanbase is plenty ready and warmed up to flawed QB play over the last 30 years, but I'm sure this organization will continue to surprise me in nothing but negative ways.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kramxel said:

That 5M fine will really hurt is new 5y 230M contract.

The largest fine ever given by the NFL to a coach was 500k to Belechick for Spygate and essentially cheating to win football games

The largest fine ever given by the NFL to a player was 760k to Jamal Lewis who also spent 4 mo. in prison for federal drug charges with intent to mass distribute cocaine 

Watson was just fined 5 Million which is almost 6x higher than the largest fine ever given in league history to a player and 5M higher than what Ben Roethlisberger received. So while it does seem light in comparison to what he makes, compared to the leagues history of fining players it was massive.

10 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

You can't gamble because people start worrying you'll intentionally impact games. It directly affects the sport.

DeShaun Watson: 11 games, $5M fine, zero intentional games impacted

Stephen Ross: 6 games, $1.5M fine, intentionally ran multi-year tanking operation

Let's not pretend "integrity of the sport" means a thing to the NFL. They found a smoking gun and pretended it was a joke.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2