Panthers officially name Baker Mayfield as opening-day starting QB

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

They will win.

Starting Jacoby isn't a recipe for success + Baker revenge game + we never win week one. I'll be mildly surprised if Carolina doesn't win.

Maybe I think the Panthers are much worse than they are but I still would hardly say they are favorites. I have no faith in a Rhule coached football team to do anything right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

It don’t matter if we beat him. That’d be corny if he’s laughing taking a L.

Especially if we not even starting the qb we dropped him for. 

Yeahhh, but what if you lose? This assumption the Browns are so loaded that a Jacoby Brissett led team will be just fine until our savior for our playoff/SB run arrives is amusing.

Now t is the Panthers, but still.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yeahhh, but what if you lose? This assumption the Browns are so loaded that a Jacoby Brissett led team will be just fine until our savior for our playoff/SB run arrives is amusing.

The Browns are 1-21-1 in week 1 games since they returned. They’ll add to that L column shortly.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I’m not guaranteeing we win, but we should. We know Baker better than anybody. 

Baker's the obvious choice to start. I don't really know why they had to drag that out for so long, but eh. I've been trying to gauge non-panther non-Browns fans  (read: fantasy players) feelings about him, and the general consensus seems to be that the Browns did Baker dirty and getting unceremoniously shuffled off to the Panthers was like trying to fix their hot water heater while their basement was flooded. I know that as a franchise you try to address the problems you can fix when you can fix them, but looking at a small amount of the tape we've got on him as a pro, I can't help but feel like the Browns have their priorities screwed up. Shame because I really do hope they find some success at some point in my lifetime, If only so that I know when to start preparing for the apocalypse.

On the Panthers end I'm glad they were able to get him for about the right price. Darnold isn't a bad athlete, but he always looks like a lost puppy even when he makes the correct decision which he rarely does. It makes it so that other teams really don't have to respect him as a threat on the field. It's been long enough at this juncture that we can safely assume he's not ever going to make that next step as a pro. As long as Mayfield hasn't been culpeppered backwards through time into an 1800s infirmary ward he was always going to be the starter.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 12:09 PM, Forge said:

This story would have had a far more entertaining finish if he had lost the competition to Darnold. 

No surprise here though. Baker is a starting NFL QB whose only real question is how good / bad is he as a starter. Darnold is not a starting NFL QB. 

I'm a little surprised tbh. I figured a much closer competition. .. although I overlooked that they're both learning a new offense.

Baker's a gifted thrower of the football. That's never been the issue. I suspect his confidence and arm talent was just better than some expected in camp. 

I'd still wager Darnold gets starts during the year based off Baker sheer ineffectiveness.

I honestly felt like the Panthers were a great landing spot for Baker. He was a run 'n' shoot, Air Raid QB in college. He succeeded in Freddie Kitchens' system because Kitchens' style was more of a wide-open, spread attack. When Stefanski came in, all of that went out the window in favor of a much more run-game oriented, tight-end heavy, pro-style offense, which did not fit Baker Mayfield's skill set at all. 

I believe in a more college-style, spread out offense like Matt Rhule runs, Baker Mayfield can fly. I look forward to seeing if he can revive his career and image there. 

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I honestly felt like the Panthers were a great landing spot for Baker. He was a run 'n' shoot, Air Raid QB in college. He succeeded in Freddie Kitchens' system because Kitchens' style was more of a wide-open, spread attack. When Stefanski came in, all of that went out the window in favor of a much more run-game oriented, tight-end heavy, pro-style offense, which did not fit Baker Mayfield's skill set at all. 

I believe in a more college-style, spread out offense like Matt Rhule runs, Baker Mayfield can fly. I look forward to seeing if he can revive his career and image there. 

Not really. Baker has had the most success in the pros when he's played in a more rhythm based offense where he can get the ball out quickly. He's done well with rollouts, bootlegs, and playaction. He's struggled the most when he's been asked to play empty formation, out of shotgun, etc.

He did well when Freddie took over as OC because he called plays to Baker's strength. As HC, he went with an Arians type of offense where Baker really struggled.

• Like 2