The Justin Fields watch thread

JAF-N72EX

54 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

40 years is more than enough patience.

Would you feel the same way if everyone was praising the team and posting fluff?  We're just fans, we can't change the outcome and turning a blind eye isn't going to help either.

The complaints are justified. Especially when some of us saw this coming months ago while others were too busy praising Poles for all the great he was doing to notice.

I am talking about patience with Fields not with the organization. The past failed regimes have no bearing on the development of JF except for ownership being a constant and they are hands off when it comes to the day to day football stuff.

Like I've said before eventually they are going to get it right whether it's by being shrewd or by pure luck or a mix of both.

And no I wouldn't feel the same. To be honest I cringe at both the extreme pessimistic and optimistic takes I see on these boards. Where are all the level headed peeps at?

• Like 3

My man, the optimistic take is that Justin Fields survives and we can figure out if he's good next year. 

I suppose the hope is that this year could have been a rebuilding year and not just another lost year. This year is really just clearing space and getting draft picks back. Coaching isn't trying anything because they're using the same playbook John Fox used when he was coasting along in his last gig. Fields is maybe getting good practice at taking hits? 

There are bright spots, but as building blocks they're the little single Lego that doesn't do much for your castle. I like our punter, much. Brisker looks very good.  Braxton Jones may be an acceptable tackle until we can get a stud. The team seems to get less penalties. Staley isn't hurt. 

Or not knowing what pressure he has/had in his face or coming shortly.

Or not knowing that guy only looks super open in screen shot because a safety, LB or CB has already broke off coverage in that shot in response to any number of things. 

This is 80% of Bears youtube and twitter.  

Kurt actually knows what he is looking at vast majority of time.  

40 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

So yeah…maybe spend some money on the OL this offseason before we make a final decision on Fields’ progression.

Who's to say the OL will be taken seriously this offseason? Last year we heard how Cunningham and Poles KNOW offensive line and how Poles was huge in finding Humphrey and Smith late for KC. What happened, and why should I think it'll be any different in 2023? 

And if the answer is "now he sees them in action and knows it has to improve," did he not watch any film or anything going in?

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Who's to say the OL will be taken seriously this offseason? Last year we heard how Cunningham and Poles KNOW offensive line and how Poles was huge in finding Humphrey and Smith late for KC. What happened, and why should I think it'll be any different in 2023? 

And if the answer is "now he sees them in action and knows it has to improve," did he not watch any film or anything going in?

I think now he has the money to really do something about it…last offseason I think they liked Brian Allen but didn’t want to commit too much money (correct decision) and ended up going for Patrick for a low cost…now he has $100 million to play with and a full deck of draft picks…there is no excuse not to attack the OL.

41 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think now he has the money to really do something about it…last offseason I think they liked Brian Allen but didn’t want to commit too much money (correct decision) and ended up going for Patrick for a low cost…now he has $100 million to play with and a full deck of draft picks…there is no excuse not to attack the OL.

Brian Allen carries a 1.8M cap hit this season. He costs less than Lucas Patrick. Terron Armstead (4M) has a lower cap hit than Justin Jones and Byron Pringle. Ryan Bates (2.4M) also costs less than many of the Bears' offseason acquisitions.

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Patrick has been our worst Olmen… he was an awful signing.

What is “too much money” because right now we are sitting on a ton of cap space and watching our QB get his teeth kicked in?

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Brian Allen carries a 1.8M cap hit this season. He costs less than Lucas Patrick. Terron Armstead (4M) has a lower cap hit than Justin Jones and Byron Pringle. Ryan Bates (2.4M) also costs less than many of the Bears' offseason acquisitions.

Your talking cap hits…not overall cost…you know fine well they are different things.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Patrick has been our worst Olmen… he was an awful signing.

What is “too much money” because right now we are sitting on a ton of cap space and watching our QB get his teeth kicked in?

He has been really poor no doubting that…so am not ready to completely close the door on him as I think it is clear he needs to play centre but if he continues his current play even if he is moved to centre then he should be a backup at most next season.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

He has been really poor no doubting that…so am not ready to completely close the door on him as I think it is clear he needs to play centre but if he continues his current play even if he is moved to centre then he should be a backup at most next season.

He should be cut. He is among the worst OLmen in the league right now.

We needed to invest more in the OL, whatever that looked like, because this is the nightmare scenario. We tried to build a line on the cheap and now we are watching our QB get murdered.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Your talking cap hits…not overall cost…you know fine well they are different things.

Hypothetically they could have signed Terron Armstead and still had 110 million in 2023 cap space.

They have so much cap space coming, worrying about it while your QB gets wiped out 12 times a game doesn’t seem like it is worth it.

• Like 1