2022 Offensive Line

Refugee

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

We still have Zach Tom sitting on the bench.  Realistically speaking, can Tom be any worse than Hanson?

Well, I’ve learned in life not to ask the question, “Could it possibly be worse?” because things can always fall further apart, even when you think it’s rock bottom.

I think Tom has plenty of potential, and while he might get out muscled or make some rookie mistakes, I’d love to see what he’s got. Rhyan, too even though it seems like he’s a bit of a dreamer, and while that might be great if you are Kermit the Frog, it’s not ideal for playing guard in the NFL. Hopefully he also picks up the plays and gets in gear. We might need him as this season wears on. 

Edited by Refugee

21 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Bahk is questionable! If he doesn't play, and with Hansen on IR, Royce "What stunt?" Newman will be forced back into the starting lineup. This game could get ugly. 

It could get ugly.  I have no idea what’s going on but the knee continuing to flare up means it will likely never be what it was when he signed that deal. I hope he finds a way to manage it and the Packers figure out a long term solution elsewhere. Yosh gets the start today. 

21 hours ago, Refugee said:

I think Tom has plenty of potential, and while he might get out muscled or make some rookie mistakes, I’d love to see what he’s got. Rhyan, too even though it seems like he’s a bit of a dreamer, and while that might be great if you are Kermit the Frog, it’s not ideal for playing guard in the NFL. Hopefully he also picks up the plays and gets in gear. We might need him as this season wears on. 

The problem is we know Newman is a replacement-level OG/OT.  Jenkins has been horrific at RT.  At what point do we insert Tom and hope that the bumps in the road work themselves out?

• Like 1

I haven’t gone back to rewatch the line but they held up better than last week, which is a low bar but they have a nasty front in WAS. Tom seemed to be doing alright out there.  His biggest play was probably getting an illegal hands to the face to keep our hopes alive, the man does have a big head on his shoulders, glad he put it to use. If anyone wants to do a postmortem, let us know how 50 was doing.

Run game again got very little push and we were afraid to run short yardage most of the day. I don’t know what it will take to turn this thing around but we need some consistency on this line. If things really fall apart, get the young guys out there and get them some reps. We need to know who is going to help us going forward and some high priced decisions will need to be made. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

For piecing a line together, I thought they performed well.

Jenkins was a plus at guard, RG.  Didn't notice Runyan at LG, good or bad.  Thought Nijman held up well, as did Tom.

From what I remember, and not I'm not trying to pick a fight with you this AM 😂, Jenkins was a LG and they moved Runyan to RG. Myers was the only person is same spot as last week. 

I thought Tom acquitted himself well for his first start with little notice. I thought Nijman was a liability at RT. Runyan was OK. 

21 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Shocker, Tom plays, and the OL is better. There is no reason Newman or Hansen should ever play over him again, even though he was at LT this week.

Fans see what they want to see. The Packers rushed for 38 yards against what was mostly a light box, that wasn't being better. A case can be made that they were better running the ball in past weeks then they were yesterday.  On passing downs Washington sent a pressure package of more than 4 rushers twice in the whole game yet the Packers consistently kept an RB and TE in to block because they didn't trust their OTs to hold up. With 3 or 4 players running routes against 7 defenders in a shell it is always going to be tough to get open looks. It starts with the OL winning against a light box in the run game and that didn't happen yesterday.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, R T said:

Fans see what they want to see. The Packers rushed for 38 yards against what was mostly a light box, that wasn't being better. A case can be made that they were better running the ball in past weeks then they were yesterday.  On passing downs Washington sent a pressure package of more than 4 rushers twice in the whole game yet the Packers consistently kept an RB and TE in to block because they didn't trust their OTs to hold up. With 3 or 4 players running routes against 7 defenders in a shell it is always going to be tough to get open looks. It starts with the OL winning against a light box in the run game and that didn't happen yesterday.  

You'd have a point if Green Bay didn't only run the ball 12 times. Off-target passes, drops and long defensive drives kept them off the field, and then they got down and abandoned the run, evidenced by the fact they ran 3 times in the second half. It's blatantly obvious Tom is more capable than Newman/Hansen.