2022 Offensive Line

Refugee

Kind of an interesting situation at right G. Benching Newman was the right thing to do, but unfortunately his replacement, Hanson, got hurt almost immediately. I thought I rad where Hanson tore his biceps. That could keep him out for a while. Now Newman might be ticked for being benched, his replacement is hurt, and we have no backup center (except Jenkins). What a mess. It's definitely past time to get Nijman into the starting line up. That means Jenkins has to move to G. Only question is left or right side. Can Tom take reps at center?

19 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Kind of an interesting situation at right G. Benching Newman was the right thing to do, but unfortunately his replacement, Hanson, got hurt almost immediately. I thought I rad where Hanson tore his biceps. That could keep him out for a while. Now Newman might be ticked for being benched, his replacement is hurt, and we have no backup center (except Jenkins). What a mess. It's definitely past time to get Nijman into the starting line up. That means Jenkins has to move to G. Only question is left or right side. Can Tom take reps at center?

Don’t know if it’s a confirmed tear but definitely a biceps injury. Tear lands him on IR and likely ends his season. Rhyan and Tom might need more seasoning but we need to see what they’ve got. Newman has had some quality snaps at guard followed by complete breakdowns that might get our QB killed. 

Edited by Refugee

There has been plenty of conversation about the defense not being what it was expected to be, but the OL is an even bigger miss.

It's kind of shocking to see the OL play so poorly with both Bak and Jenkins in the lineup.  No more waiting for injured players to return, these are the players that need to make it work.  Seeing Jenkins play like this is downright bizarre after how good he's been since the day he was drafted.  PFF is probably like, "See! We told you he wasn't very good!"

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It looks like putting Stenny in at OC was a huge mistake.

It made our line worse and affected everything on offense.

You need to bench Newman and either flip Jenkins in to guard, or put in Tom.

If you want your best 5, Nijman needs to be playing.

I've never been one to memorize all the assistant coaches' names but I kinda have the feeling that we've been pretty terrible for a long time when it comes to coach promotions. I remember Philbin and McAdoo failing outside the Packers organization, the ST fiasco with Slocum... It may be selective memory, have we really had any success stories with coaches working at the next level? Feels like the downside of them leaving their previous sucessful spot always outweighs whatever little success they have in their new position.

14 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I've never been one to memorize all the assistant coaches' names but I kinda have the feeling that we've been pretty terrible for a long time when it comes to coach promotions. I remember Philbin and McAdoo failing outside the Packers organization, the ST fiasco with Slocum... It may be selective memory, have we really had any success stories with coaches working at the next level? Feels like the downside of them leaving their previous sucessful spot always outweighs whatever little success they have in their new position.

The Peter principle at work. Take good coordinator and promote him to a mediocre HC. Or good position coach and throw them in over their head at coordinator.  

This question was asked on another thread and if you go back to the Holmgren days, yes there were guys who moved on to find success like Gruden, Mariucci, and of course Reid. We also gave Doug Peterson his clipboard training in that era. 

I don’t know if Steno is not cut out for coordinator but it seems he and Hackett  were great at their former roles and floundering in their current ones.  It’s early to give a final grade but the change hasn’t been good so far.  If they had just stayed put they might have always wondered what could have been but if the results don’t support their promotion, I hope a change comes by the offseason. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

What is with the staff's obsession with Hansen? Tom should be the first 'sub' coming in, and instead they choose Hansen time and time again, despite being a major liability. The only time Tom has ever played, he was better than Hansen has ever been and could ever hope to be.

18 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

What is with the staff's obsession with Hansen? Tom should be the first 'sub' coming in, and instead they choose Hansen time and time again, despite being a major liability. The only time Tom has ever played, he was better than Hansen has ever been and could ever hope to be.

Hanson has been steady and presumably knows the playbook inside and out. He’s not the most physically talented guy but does have a few seasons in an NFL weight room under his belt. The other guys are very green and pretty light to play at this level. It might not matter with Hanson going out with a biceps injury. Not yet confirmed but that could end his season or definitely a stretch of games. Will be interesting to see what they think of the rookies going forward. 

17 hours ago, cannondale said:

At this point, you avoid Runyan and Jenkins switching sides. Just slide Jenkins inside and put Nijman at RT. If they were serious about putting the best 5 on the field they would have done this 3 weeks ago

Agree.  Jenkins isn't that much more LG-familiar than is Runyan, and Jenkins' LG experience is a couple of years distant by now anyway.  I might rather shuffle only two spots on one end, rather than three spots on both left an right sides.  

In terms of the "if they were serious" comment, I get your logic.  But three weeks ago I'm not sure they perceived the urgency?  Perceptions change, at least mine have.   I thought Jenkins might be just rusty, and might settle in and be excellent at RT, given a couple of games.  Newman having started at RT and played all camp at RT, I thought he might take a couple of games to settle back in at RG, and I thought that he showed enough talent there last season that *IF* he had some physical and experiential growth, that he might mature into a good solid RG.  Given what's happened recently, though, things look a little different.  Perhaps also for the coaches?  

Also 3 weeks ago Nijman hadn't had much practice priority on RT?  Perhaps with Bakh back at LT, Nijman has had a few more weeks to try to prioritize RT stuff, and maybe he's more ready now than then?  Or the coaches might think so?