2022 Offensive Line

Refugee

39 minutes ago, MuFF said:

LaFleur revealed in his press conference they are considering starting Nijman at RT to get their "Best 5" on the field. 

OK you made me go listen to his press conference and I think you were hearing what you wanted to hear there. Reporters twice tried to get him to comment about Nijman playing RT and both times he avoided any real comment.   

1 hour ago, R T said:

OK you made me go listen to his press conference and I think you were hearing what you wanted to hear there. Reporters twice tried to get him to comment about Nijman playing RT and both times he avoided any real comment.   

It was before (I believe) that, I added a timestamp to the exact time, but the question was,

"With that confidence in Yosh, does he need to play RT for you to get your best five on the field?"

Answer: "That is something we've definitely talked about, [...] haven't made a decision on that yet." 

https://youtu.be/UMnDRP0PR9M?t=1169

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MuFF said:

It was before (I believe) that, I added a timestamp to the exact time, but the question was,

"With that confidence in Yosh, does he need to play RT for you to get your best five on the field?"

Answer: "That is something we've definitely talked about, [...] haven't made a decision on that yet." 

https://youtu.be/UMnDRP0PR9M?t=1169

What is he supposed to say? He was asked a question and he needed to give some sort of response. They talk about everything with every player. Kind of like Gutes saying they want to be in every conversation and every reporter in the country now has them trading for every player rumored to be on the market for the last 4 years. MLF said something without saying anything and some people want to believe that meant something.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MuFF said:

LaFleur revealed in his press conference they are considering starting Nijman at RT to get their "Best 5" on the field. 

To my unsophisticated naive amateur eyes, it seemed like Jenkins looked slow at RT.  Looked like he was getting beat and out-quicked too often.  Maybe that was more the greatness and quickness of New England's guy?   Or maybe I just misperceived and only noticed a couple of bad snaps, and Jenkins was fine the rest?  

But yeah, it made me wonder whether Jenkins might be an excellent guard but maybe not that great at RT?  

19 minutes ago, R T said:

What is he supposed to say? He was asked a question and he needed to give some sort of response. They talk about everything with every player. Kind of like Gutes saying they want to be in every conversation and every reporter in the country now has them trading for every player rumored to be on the market for the last 4 years. MLF said something without saying anything and some people want to believe that meant something.   

Interpret it however you want, but I took the double "definitely something we're talking about" to mean they're considering it, which is as far as I went in my original post.

MLF could have just easily said we want to get more continuity with these five, etc. Personally I think there's value in that, not sure how I'd feel about swapping three more OL with something like Jenkins to LG, runyan to RG, and Nijman at RT just because Jenkins hasn't found his feet yet. The Hanson-Newman right side to start was egregious, but I think we're somewhat splitting hairs with some of the current lineup decisions going forward. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, R T said:

Agree, he needed to give some sort of response, and he didn't really say anything. 

But RT, I do kinda think he could have snuffed that question though, if he wanted?  He could have said "No, I don't think so", and looked for the next question?  "Not at this time."  Or "We aren't looking at making any changes at this time."  Or "David and Elton are my starting tackles, and we have a lot of confidence in them."  Or "I haven't really had a chance to study the tape." 

He could certainly have left off the "...we haven't made a decision yet".  He had to give some response, but he didn't need to say that.  Kind of unnecessarily raises uncertainty about the status quo.  

It's kinda the same question he was asked last week, when he gave analogou input that they've discussed it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MuFF said:

Interpret it however you want, but I took the double "definitely something we're talking about" to mean they're considering it, which is as far as I went in my original post.

MLF could have just easily said we want to get more continuity with these five, etc. Personally I think there's value in that, not sure how I'd feel about swapping three more OL with something like Jenkins to LG, runyan to RG, and Nijman at RT just because Jenkins hasn't found his feet yet. The Hanson-Newman right side to start was egregious, but I think we're somewhat splitting hairs with some of the current lineup decisions going forward. 

Yah that's pretty much how I read it.  Definitely is a pretty strong statement. Doesn't mean they will make a change.  Think they will roll with Elton and hope he improves.  If not then it will be time to try someone else out there.  Really don't want wholesale shuffling of the line.  Continuity yes it's important.  Walker, Tom, and Jones.  Got to think one of those guys can play.  Haven't heard much about Walker.  Intrigued by him.  He's physically ready.  Prototypical OT.  Jones is such a monster.  Just wonder if he can handle speed rushers.  Tom yah he needs to get stronger but the dude has feet.  Think of the three he might be the most ready now.  

As far as Yosh at RT.  Dunno.  Think it was Bak that said switching sides is like trying to wipe your butt with your opposite hand.  Takes time to adjust.  Got to think they will try him there in practice if Elton continues to struggle.  He would probably be #1 on the list one would think. 

Speaking of Elton dude came back really quick.  10 months off of an ACL.  It just could be he's not fully recovered yet.  Be my guess because he was pretty damn good before the injury.  

1 minute ago, craig said:

Agree, he needed to give some sort of response, and he didn't really say anything. 

But RT, I do kinda think he could have snuffed that question though, if he wanted?  He could have said "No, I don't think so", and looked for the next question?  "Not at this time."  Or "We aren't looking at making any changes at this time."  Or "David and Elton are my starting tackles, and we have a lot of confidence in them."  Or "I haven't really had a chance to study the tape." 

He could certainly have left off the "...we haven't made a decision yet".  He had to give some response, but he didn't need to say that.  Kind of unnecessarily raises uncertainty about the status quo.  

It's kinda the same question he was asked last week, when he gave analogou input that they've discussed it.  

He could have snuffed the question but why? There is gamesmanship in answering the way he did by making it still an unknown. Right now, the Giants need to consider Josh might play RT and someone on their staff will need to donate time in studying tape of Josh at RT. If you listen to MLF's pressers, you will hear how guarded he is about giving anything away each week. Today he avoided answering a question about how the Packers were going to handle the trip to London. Fans should understand by now that everything is said with a purpose.    

Out of 63 offensive snaps, we went with Nijman 38 and Bak 25 at LT. Yosh was in when we didn’t get it done in the RZ and we played Bak in the final series where his guy got loose and flushed Aaron out on the Hail Mary attempt. Not sure what the long term plan is and if they are just doing this because the long flight caused issues with Bak’s knee, but I don’t like the rotation. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Out of 63 offensive snaps, we went with Nijman 38 and Bak 25 at LT. Yosh was in when we didn’t get it done in the RZ and we played Bak in the final series where his guy got loose and flushed Aaron out on the Hail Mary attempt. Not sure what the long term plan is and if they are just doing this because the long flight caused issues with Bak’s knee, but I don’t like the rotation. 

I get the feeling that Bahktiari knee might be a ticking time bomb of how long it will hold up on a full game reps week after week.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:01 PM, craig said:

To my unsophisticated naive amateur eyes, it seemed like Jenkins looked slow at RT.  Looked like he was getting beat and out-quicked too often.  Maybe that was more the greatness and quickness of New England's guy?   Or maybe I just misperceived and only noticed a couple of bad snaps, and Jenkins was fine the rest?  

But yeah, it made me wonder whether Jenkins might be an excellent guard but maybe not that great at RT?  

Jenkins is also less than a year removed from the ACL injury, so he's likely still knocking off some of that rust/getting back up to speed. Grade wise, it seems like he did better this week than he did vs. the Patriots.

Edited by Striker

Worst game I’ve seen from this unit in a long time. Jets have a stout D line but we were looking lost blocking no one. Steno is our OC, Butkus our position coach. We need to turn this back into a position of strength but today they were a liability.