2022 Offensive Line

Refugee

On 9/29/2022 at 12:01 PM, craig said:

I wonder how much development and cross-training happens for bench guys during the season? 

1. Walker is a big guy with potential size for guard.  Might he be learning guard, and be ready to compete there by next season?  
  2. Tom worked tackle and guard in camp.  Might Tom perhaps now be training some center?  If so, might he win the backup-center role from Hanson by next year?  Maybe even this year?  (I admit Myers going out on Sunday brought to mind questions about depth behind him.). 

Hanson seems like a try hard guy that should get passed up soon by some of the young talent. Don’t know if we cut him this year but I think he would safely make it back onto the PS.  Tom’s smaller build might make him a good center candidate even though we’ve currently got a mountain there with Meyers. Hope Myers can stay healthy and keep building his game, Creed Humphrey taken one pick later seems to be kickin A and taking names over in KC. If you take a center that high, they should be very good. Looking forward to having our vets healthy and our young guys developing.

Edited by Refugee

On 9/29/2022 at 3:01 PM, craig said:

I wonder how much development and cross-training happens for bench guys during the season? 

1. Walker is a big guy with potential size for guard.  Might he be learning guard, and be ready to compete there by next season?  
  2. Tom worked tackle and guard in camp.  Might Tom perhaps now be training some center?  If so, might he win the backup-center role from Hanson by next year?  Maybe even this year?  (I admit Myers going out on Sunday brought to mind questions about depth behind him.). 

The good news is Jenkins can play center too. The bad news is if we have to have Jenkins at center and not at tackle. I'm sure they are moving guys around and developing them for more than one position. One luxury we have in Green Bay is our O-line development. I look forward to what some of these guys become. Especially with the Bak injury.

13 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

The good news is Jenkins can play center too. The bad news is if we have to have Jenkins at center and not at tackle. I'm sure they are moving guys around and developing them for more than one position. One luxury we have in Green Bay is our O-line development. I look forward to what some of these guys become. Especially with the Bak injury.

We do have a luxury at tackle with Yosh.  I watched coach Butkus’ interview (crazy how clear it is that he’s a Butkus) and said they’re not hesitant to train Yosh at RT, as well. 74 at guard would mean we’re feeling good about our other tackles and should mean we are a dominant line. It’s also a contract year so Jenkins will want to sign at the highest level and might prefer to play outside but the whole League knows what he’s capable of and he will get paid. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We do have a luxury at tackle with Yosh.  I watched coach Butkus’ interview (crazy how clear it is that he’s a Butkus) and said they’re not hesitant to train Yosh at RT, as well. 74 at guard would mean we’re feeling good about our other tackles and should mean we are a dominant line. It’s also a contract year so Jenkins will want to sign at the highest level and might prefer to play outside but the whole League knows what he’s capable of and he will get paid. 

I'm thinking Jenkins is the LT of the future, no? Good point on Yosh too.

4 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I'd be really surprised if Jenkins gets used again at center.  I know he had that capacity, and did it some years ago.  But I kinda doubt he ever plays there again?  I hope we have no reason to ever find out, because Myers stays healthy and plays well at center.  And by the time he ever needs to be out, that our backup center (Tom, perhaps?) is well capable.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

Hanson seems like a try hard guy that should get passed up soon by some of the young talent. 

Yes and no... He's a try hard guy, but he's not getting passed as the #2 center.

What's stupefying is how he's getting ragged on here for his work at guard. Hello, he's not a guard. He's been a center since HS. Only because of tremendous work habits he's turned himself into a serviceable NFL guard. This should be applauded, but the "geniuses" here throw him under the bus... It's not his fault he's the Packers 3rd guard, that's on the Packers. He's a year or two away from being a good 3rd guard. This year he should be the an emergency guard. In 2023 he should be a 3rd/4th guard and by 2024 the full time #2 center/3rd guard. A lot of value for that player.

What's perplexing is how this 6th round pick turned himself into a valuable asset for the Packers, and this board power whines about him. Then an asset blackhole that is Jordan Love is worshiped by the group think- how silly.

I normally post on this great football board with amazing analysis. Like this board was back in the day. That board has an amazing thread on the OL and future OL. I was gonna bring some that stuff over, but it would be lost here.

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

Yes and no... He's a try hard guy, but he's not getting passed as the #2 center.

What's stupefying is how he's getting ragged on here for his work at guard. Hello, he's not a guard. He's been a center since HS. Only because of tremendous work habits he's turned himself into a serviceable NFL guard. This should be applauded, but the "geniuses" here throw him under the bus... It's not his fault he's the Packers 3rd guard, that's on the Packers. He's a year or two away from being a good 3rd guard. This year he should be the an emergency guard. In 2023 he should be a 3rd/4th guard and by 2024 the full time #2 center/3rd guard. A lot of value for that player.

What's perplexing is how this 6th round pick turned himself into a valuable asset for the Packers, and this board power whines about him. Then an asset blackhole that is Jordan Love is worshiped by the group think- how silly.

I normally post on this great football board with amazing analysis. Like this board was back in the day. That board has an amazing thread on the OL and future OL. I was gonna bring some that stuff over, but it would be lost here.

I think you’re ascribing a lot of emotions to the “general public” that aren’t necessarily true when it comesHanson and Love for that matter. There are a range of ways people feel about those guys. Personally, I’ve said I liked the physical transformation Hanson has obviously worked on before camp started. He is our backup center but really he needs to be a backup for our interior 3 positions to be truly valuable, especially since we have other talented guys who can handle center.

The fact is he helped man a subpar right side week 1 and on the 3 snaps he came in at center week3, his unit gave up a pretty big sack that kept the game in question.  He may be getting better but there are young guys with more physical talent behind him and they will become more valuable if they can play center and guard at a high level this season and certainly next. Carrying 11 on OL is not typical but we obviously have had some extenuating circumstances this year. Hanson could find himself the odd man out and would likely make the PSquad in my opinion. Either way, I do think he is making strides for a guy drafted late and I hope he improves so he can help us more than he has up to this point. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think you’re ascribing a lot of emotions to the “general public” that aren’t necessarily true when it comes Hanson and Love for that matter. There are a range of ways people feel about those guys. Personally, I’ve said I liked the physical transformation Hanson has obviously worked on before camp started. He is our backup center but really he needs to be a backup for our interior 3 positions to be truly valuable, especially since we have other talented guys who can handle center.

The fact is he helped man a subpar right side week 1 and on the 3 snaps he came in at center week 3, his unit gave up a pretty big sack that kept the game in question. 

Are you attributing a sack against Hanson in the Bucs game? If not, I don't understand your point.

For myself, I have little to no emotion when it comes to what is posted here. I'm simply pointing out how a 6th round center has worked hard to become an asset and is highly criticized here. Yet, a 1st plus 4th round QB continues to be a liability and earned criticism is highly frowned upon by the group think here.

Again, Hanson has made significant improvements in yr 2 & 3. He's a plus C2 and now available at guard. The Packers using him as G3 this year is a Packer issue, not a Hanson issue. With the Packers keeping eleven (11) OL with eight (8) game day actives, he doesn't need nor should be G3 this year.

49 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Are you attributing a sack against Hanson in the Bucs game? If not, I don't understand your point.

For myself, I have little to no emotion when it comes to what is posted here. I'm simply pointing out how a 6th round center has worked hard to become an asset and is highly criticized here. Yet, a 1st plus 4th round QB continues to be a liability and earned criticism is highly frowned upon by the group think here.

Again, Hanson has made significant improvements in yr 2 & 3. He's a plus C2 and now available at guard. The Packers using him as G3 this year is a Packer issue, not a Hanson issue. With the Packers keeping eleven (11) OL with eight (8) game day actives, he doesn't need nor should be G3 this year.

His spot on the 53 is the most vulnerable compared to any vet  outside of maybe Amari, and even he is our #1 returner.   You can’t compare QB2 to anyone who is a backup Olineman, it’s just not even the same conversation. Those assets  invested there could boom or bust but it is at the most consequential position on the field so you have to take some risks trying to find someone talented enough to develop to carry the torch. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, craig said:

I'd be really surprised if Jenkins gets used again at center.  I know he had that capacity, and did it some years ago.  But I kinda doubt he ever plays there again?  I hope we have no reason to ever find out, because Myers stays healthy and plays well at center.  And by the time he ever needs to be out, that our backup center (Tom, perhaps?) is well capable.  

I don't think that with the current roster Jenkins would see center.  We don't have a Billy Turner, Dennis Kelly, or Jared Veldheer on the roster this season.  Perhaps Nijman can fill in on the right side, but I don't recall him ever being over there (I could be incorrect about that though).  I think this roster has Hanson and Tom for interior substitutions and Newman to move to RT if he absolutely has to, though if Jenkins and Bakhtiari weren't both out, maybe Nijman would have been lined up on the right side.  I really like the talent on this offensive line unit.  But I also think that most of this group still needs more time before they are truly ready to shine. 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:11 PM, Donzo said:

Hanson is a poor guard.  Like elite poor.  Let's no sugar coat it.  If he has to play guard, your team is in trouble.  No doubt about it.

As a backup center?  I'd say he's league average, and I won't fight you if you think he's better than a league average backup center.

I watched his snaps at center.  He was fine.  Actually thought he looked quick out of his stance, choppy feet and great balance.  I mean, he really looked the part.

But the guard stuff?  Gross.  But, we've seen gross from Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick turn into good football players, too.