2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t want Braxton replaced… but acting like he is locked in at LT is crazy.

If we draft a guy at 9… he will likely have a better profile for LT day 1.

I don’t think Brax is locked in to LT but I do think he’s locked in as one of our starting tackles this year. If we draft a LT in the top half of the first round I expect they’ll put that guy in the position where he’ll most likely succeed first. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

"Fine" isn't really any kind of upgrade over Borom though (save on future upside), which would be my concern going with one of the tier 2-3 options.

Fine would absolutely be an upgrade over "we dont feel like we can play him" which was clearly the vibe with Borom last year.

And once again, they arent playing for 2023. They are drafting 9and signing) for the future. I really hope none of you have any illusions about being good this year.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think Brax is locked in to LT but I do think he’s locked in as one of our starting tackles this year. If we draft a LT in the top half of the first round I expect they’ll put that guy in the position where he’ll most likely succeed first. 

They are going to play the best 5 lineman that fit together. Whether thats Whitehair or Patrick or a Rookie at Cernter. Whether thats Braxton at LT. RT or even at a Guard spot. They are going to find the best combination, with maybe a High Rookie draft pick locked in somewhere (not even sure on that) and maybe Nate Davis. The rest will be figuring alot out, anywhere from just plugging a RT into what we currently have to a complete overhaul of the line before Training Camp. 

No one we have on the OL is guaranteed to be here 2 offseasons from now, and they are absolutely not locked into the role they had in the 2022 season. 

I wonder if they'll figure out who the best five are a little faster this year?  Going through the 9ers game thread pretty much everyone on here was baffled as to why Jenkins was platooned the way he was.  

It's reasonable to say the Bears aren't contenders this year but if they trot out an OL with quality like last year it's fair to say they're failing at an important group in a way that affects the teams long term future at QB. 

On thread but off topic:  how worried should teams be about Jalen Carter and possible future civil suits relating to the deaths that occurred while he was involved in street racing?  After his pro day would you then have concerns about his ability to handle that during a season when he's watching his new big checks and future earnings in jeopardy? 

3 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Going through the 9ers game thread pretty much everyone on here was baffled as to why Jenkins was platooned the way he was. 

There was rumored to be some kind of a "buy in" problem early on (whether that was him being upset over being moved to guard or just the whole "HITS" thing I'm not sure (heard both ways))...  Personally, I think it might be his medicals/back issues might be a big factor too. Hard to have long term faith or build offensive line continuity with back issues that are apparently that problematic to keep causing missed time. I wouldn't be shocked if they really did try trading him last season, nor shocked if he got moved this year or next. I don't have any sources or known rumors for the last bit (nor this next bit), but just the overall vibe I've gotten. My theory is that the only reason he's still a bear is because other teams are scared of the medicals, and his actual on field value is still much higher than his current trade value. 

17 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I wonder if they'll figure out who the best five are a little faster this year?  Going through the 9ers game thread pretty much everyone on here was baffled as to why Jenkins was platooned the way he was.  

I think we know what the situation was there, where the fault lies (Staff too hard/Jenkins too soft) changes by who you ask, but he clearly missed time, wasnt fully bought in and there was some clash there. Nowadays many either forget it, pretend it didnt happen, or whatever, but he was in the doghouse, and thats a real thing

Stuff got figured out during the season, but it does seem like it has legitimately colored the future relationship. 

20 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

It's reasonable to say the Bears aren't contenders this year but if they trot out an OL with quality like last year it's fair to say they're failing at an important group in a way that affects the teams long term future at QB. 

Its already a better OL than last year. Braxton is no longer a Rookie (regardless of what side he plays) We've added a Legitimate Guard in Free Agency, and unless there is another problem (Jenkins) or we lose a bunch to Injury (Whitehair, Patrick, Jenkins again) then we are better at every single spot on the OL than we were before the Drat in 2022. Are they world beaters? No, but they are a really solid bunch with some really high potential (Braxton/Jenkins) before we even draft this week.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

They are going to play the best 5 lineman that fit together. Whether thats Whitehair or Patrick or a Rookie at Cernter. Whether thats Braxton at LT. RT or even at a Guard spot. They are going to find the best combination, with maybe a High Rookie draft pick locked in somewhere (not even sure on that) and maybe Nate Davis. The rest will be figuring alot out, anywhere from just plugging a RT into what we currently have to a complete overhaul of the line before Training Camp. 

No one we have on the OL is guaranteed to be here 2 offseasons from now, and they are absolutely not locked into the role they had in the 2022 season. 

Man I hope so. Maybe it was due to Patrick getting hurt so quickly but my concern is that there are more pre-determined starters in their spots than there should be. Last year Mustipher was seemingly (I may stand corrected, almost all my news comes from posters here so it is just what I inferred) entrenched from the start, and when Patrick went down there was no real rush to create competition with him. Not even a vet on a min deal to compete or push him. Maybe they though Patrick would bounce back faster or Kramer would progress faster, I'm not sure.

My concerns may be unfair, but the Bears have been backwards for so long it is hard to separate Poles from previous regimes just because it seems habitual with this franchise. lol

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree with you.

I really do not care how many games we win this season. 

The priority has to be putting the best protection in front of Fields possible. He has taken an absolute beating the last 2 seasons. 

Our OL was simply atrocious in pass pro last year. We were running and offense that the 1980s would laugh at. We ran the ball 71% of the time on 2nd and long. We flat out gave up on asking our OL to actually pass block.

The Bears OL has improved... but improved and good enough to actually protect Fields and run a real offense are not the same thing. We should still be focused on adding the best players we can at RT and C.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Our OL was simply atrocious in pass pro last year. We were running and offense that the 1980s would laugh at. We ran the ball 71% of the time on 2nd and long. We flat out gave up on asking our OL to actually pass block.

We were trying to lose

26 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We were trying to lose

They were trying to lose yes, but I think it was with the roster that they assembled. I don't believe Getsy is going to intentionally make himself look like **** by doing that. The OL could not protect in true pass sets. That has to improve

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think the best OL we can field is

LT: Paris/Broderick (1st)

LG: Jenkins

C Tippman/Wypler (2nd or 3rd)

RG: Davis

RT: Braxton

I like that a lot.

This would be fine too.

LT: Braxton

LG: Jenkins

C Tippman/Wypler (2nd or 3rd)

RG: Davis

RT: Darnell Wright/Paris/Broderick (1st at #9)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We were trying to lose

The coaches and players were not trying to lose. The GM built a team that couldn't win... those are different.

Lucas Patrick wasn't trying to get beat like a drum and get Fields killed.

Getsy was trying to make sure Fields did not die... which you cannot do with coaching and scheme. You need good players to block the good DL.

32 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They were trying to lose yes, but I think it was with the roster that they assembled. I don't believe Getsy is going to intentionally make himself look like **** by doing that. The OL could not protect in true pass sets. That has to improve

Poetry