The Ongoing Offensive Line Thread

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NYRaider said:

They basically ran it back with the same mediocre group on the OL and it looks like they're planning to do it again this year. 

We're currently 30th in the NFL in defensive spending / 24th in OL spending. 

It's day 4 of FA and they have 30+ roster spots too fill. 

Some of you are so damn impatient. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

It's day 4 of FA and they have 30+ roster spots too fill. 

Some of you are so damn impatient. 

The fact that we didn't cut Andre James and resigned Brandon Parker implies that we're going to run it back with primarily the same group. Most of the better OL / starting caliber guys are already off the board. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The fact that we didn't cut Andre James and resigned Brandon Parker implies that we're going to run it back with primarily the same group. Most of the better OL / starting caliber guys are already off the board. 

Parker is a camp body. They didn't bring back Elu or Bars (yet) to say they are "running it back".

They don't need to cut James right now, they have cap and no clear upgrade. 

There are plenty of starting caliber OGs, they will snag one for a good price eventually. 

Again.... 60 players on the roster and they'll have 90+ for camp. Simple math says they are going to add to the roster in every spot eventually here. 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Parker is a camp body. They didn't bring back Elu or Bars (yet) to say they are "running it back".

They don't need to cut James right now, they have cap and no clear upgrade. 

There are plenty of starting caliber OGs, they will snag one for a good price eventually. 

Again.... 60 players on the roster and they'll have 90+ for camp. Simple math says they are going to add to the roster in every spot eventually here. 

They've shown very little interest in investing into the OL since they took over. 

The fact that we just let Billings walk for peanuts is crazy as well. 

I'm tired of scrapping the bottom of the barrel for the OL, DL, and defense in general. It hasn't worked for the last 5 years but hey, at least we got a #3 WR!

If they're not going to commit to getting better on the OL, DL, defense, they shouldn't have signed Jimmy G or Meyers. We need to try to compete or tear it down completely, being in the middle is the worst place you can be.

Edited by NYRaider

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They've shown very little interest in investing into the OL since they took over. 

The fact that we just let Billings walk for peanuts is crazy as well. 

I'm tired of scrapping the bottom of the barrel for the OL, DL, and defense in general. It hasn't worked for the last 5 years but hey, at least we got a #3 WR!

If they're not going to commit to getting better on the OL, DL, defense, they shouldn't have signed Jimmy G or Meyers. We need to try to compete or tear it down completely, being in the middle is the worst place you can be.

Again... they need to add 30+ players to the roster via FA and the draft. Maybe we judge after the draft and the roster takes shape. 

I agree, things look a little haphazard here, but using old tropes from last season seem pointless. If come training camp things don't look different, then we can gauge. 

And in the end, if they win games fans will calm down. 

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They took an OG at pick 90, the first in their class. And an OT late. Can't really say they haven't shown interest. They clearly have invested there. 

Sounds like you want them to do what Denver did and throw top dollar at mid-FAs to show they are "investing" in the Oline.

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Again... they need to add 30+ players to the roster via FA and the draft. Maybe we judge after the draft and the roster takes shape. 

I agree, things look a little haphazard here, but using old tropes from last season seem pointless. If come training camp things don't look different, then we can gauge. 

And in the end, if they win games fans will calm down. 

I respect the concept of being patient and giving them time to build their vision. But we just saw Mayock / Gruden mismanage the roster for years and when you know, you know. The new regime just really hasn't done anything to inspire confidence and they seem to be stuck in between committing to a rebuild and committing to be competitive. They say all of the right things about building through the draft and focusing on the trenches but their actions imply that they're hyper focused on our offensive skill guys and indifferent about the rest of the roster.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I respect the concept of being patient and giving them time to build their vision. But we just saw Mayock / Gruden mismanage the roster for years and when you know, you know. The new regime just really hasn't done anything to inspire confidence and they seem to be stuck in between committing to a rebuild and committing to be competitive. They say all of the right things about building through the draft and focusing on the trenches but their actions imply that they're hyper focused on our offensive skill guys and indifferent about the rest of the roster.

The draft hasn't happened yet this year. 

They added 2 offensive and 2 defensive linemen in the draft a year ago.

What signals a rebuild for you? Trading off guys like Crosby, Adam, etc? Having a terrible QB and committing to losing?

I'd say stacking 12 draft picks, trading an older/injured guy like Waller is an attempt to rebuild. 

Does a rebuild have to result in tanking for a top draft pick? Team can't play competitive, draft develop as part of the rebuild?

I agree.... there are some 2+2+5 things happening. I'd hope to get clarification eventually.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They took an OG at pick 90, the first in their class. And an OT late. Can't really say they haven't shown interest. They clearly have invested there. 

Sounds like you want them to do what Denver did and throw top dollar at mid-FAs to show they are "investing" in the Oline.

So far they've invested: 

Skill position players: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th | $460M in contracts

Offensive line: 3rd, 6th, 7th | $6.5M in contracts 

Reggie McKenzie was able to build an elite offensive line in free agency with guys like Hudson, Osemele, and Penn. The Chiefs were able to rebuild their offensive line in a single offseason through the draft and free agency with Thuney/OBJ. There has been a clear disparity in the resources invested into offensive playmakers and the rest of the team, particularly the offensive line and secondary.

I actually think our link is solid, just need one more starter 

LT: Miller- stud in his prime  / Parker is better at LT and sucked at RT. He's a good LT2

LG: Parham/ he was solid as a rookie and I expect a jump. 

Center- James - still young but he is an average starting center. He gets beat from time to time, but a lot of OL get beat. He prolly will remain a average starting center 

RG- Herron/Muti - this is where I can see us adding another starting player. Herron could be this years Elu, he projected as a guard coming out of college. Muti could be a sleeper

RT- Elu/Munford - Elu is solid, and Munford might be a steal. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I actually think our link is solid, just need one my starter 

LT: Miller- stud in his prime  / Parker is better at LT and sucked at RT. He's a good LT2

LG: Parham/ he was solid as a rookie and I expect a jump. 

Center- James - still young but he is an average starting center. He gets beat from time to time, but a lot of OL get beat. He prolly will remain a average starting center 

RG- Herron/Muti - this is where I can see us adding another starting player. Herron could be this years Elu, he projected as a guard coming out of college. Muti could be a sleeper

RT- Elu/Munford - Elu is solid, and Munford might be a steal. 

Good post. For what’s it worth the O-line did help produce the #1 rushing champ this year in Josh Jacobs. So no reason to blow it up. 

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Good post. For what’s it worth the O-line did help produce the #1 rushing champ this year in Josh Jacobs. So no reason to blow it up. 

Yes but JOsh was also amazing. Our number 2 and 3 rushers were DC and Stidham… we had no run game outside of Josh. 
I don’t think they are terrible, but, I think JJ did them all favors. Same with Carr throwing quick to avoid hits.

4 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yes but JOsh was also amazing. Our number 2 and 3 rushers were DC and Stidham… we had no run game outside of Josh. 
I don’t think they are terrible, but, I think JJ did them all favors. Same with Carr throwing quick to avoid hits.

Funny thing there is Carr had 102 yards rushing in 15 games and Stidham had 84 yards in 2 games.  I think this line is overrated and in need of some talent.  I would say the line did not do as much for Jacobs as people have giving them credit for.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

White needs to improve as a receiver or he is going to be mid. It was an obvious rush when he was in the game. 

• Like 1