2023 NFL Draft Class

jetsfan4life51

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Let me clear this up, I don't want to have to give up a 1st, but if we did, I'm cool with it being the 24' pick, not the 23 pick. We're talking about a pick that should be later than 20 with Rodgers. 

I'm trying to think about if I would rather give up #43 or a 2024 1st and I think I'd give up the 1st next year.  The value is slight more for the 2024 1st I would guess but not much where I wouldn't offer it up.

GB gets their 1st and we keep three top 45 picks this year.  Win win for both teams if you ask me although not sure why GB would defer to 2024 but it seems they might want to do that.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm trying to think about if I would rather give up #43 or a 2024 1st and I think I'd give up the 1st next year.  The value is slight more for the 2024 1st I would guess but not much where I wouldn't offer it up.

GB gets their 1st and we keep three top 45 picks this year.  Win win for both teams if you ask me although not sure why GB would defer to 2024 but it seems they might want to do that.  

If you have contact-juggling-training.gif

Send a pick and be done with it.

What are we going to do with the DT situation? Financially, it is probably not a good idea to draft one in the first round because we have to pay Quinnen Williams big money this off-season. Should we just try to sign Al Woods and then fill out the group with a fourth or fifth rounder...basically a depth guy? Or should we try to draft a quality starting DT like Kancey, Smith or Benton in Round 2? Maybe an Ika (though isn't he more of a 3-4 NT than a 4-3 DT?).

The main reason why I don't want to send any picks to GB for the 2023 draft is that I feel we need three players in the trenches out of the first 43 picks. Yeah, we also need a LB and a FS but it seems to me that the C, OT and DT positions are more critical right now.

Trading down still feels like the right move, but how far down? Who is willing to trade up, and for whom?

Baltimore is my target at 22, probably because of Smith-Njigbe. Dallas (Bijan Robinson) is another idea. 

10 more days indeed, Bobby! 

24 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

What are we going to do with the DT situation? Financially, it is probably not a good idea to draft one in the first round because we have to pay Quinnen Williams big money this off-season. Should we just try to sign Al Woods and then fill out the group with a fourth or fifth rounder...basically a depth guy? Or should we try to draft a quality starting DT like Kancey, Smith or Benton in Round 2? Maybe an Ika (though isn't he more of a 3-4 NT than a 4-3 DT?).

The main reason why I don't want to send any picks to GB for the 2023 draft is that I feel we need three players in the trenches out of the first 43 picks. Yeah, we also need a LB and a FS but it seems to me that the C, OT and DT positions are more critical right now.

Trading down still feels like the right move, but how far down? Who is willing to trade up, and for whom?

Baltimore is my target at 22, probably because of Smith-Njigbe. Dallas (Bijan Robinson) is another idea. 

10 more days indeed, Bobby! 

I’m going with the assumption we still have 42 and 43 until that changes. So I’d draft a guy there at DT. Mazi Smith is a guy I really like. Big body that can take on multiple OLineman and stuff the run. Isn’t the sack type DT. But we don’t need that since we have Q and Jefferson as well as a nice rotation at DE.

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Financially, it is probably not a good idea to draft one in the first round because we have to pay Quinnen Williams big money this off-season.

If the OL JD wants is not available at 13, DT is still a good option because of financials.  A FRP rookie essentially has 5 years.  We will know after 3 if he is a star or not.  Q's contract is probably going to be 4 years.  So, just when Q's contract comes up, we will, hopefully, have a new star DT and Q can then walk.  This is the way to build a sustainable team.  Draft the replacements for the big money spots before they are needed.

Hard to say what will happen with the draft with the AR situation. I think if Levis is there at 13 and no AR deal yet you could see a trade down that a team wants to move up and get him. The Jets could make the trade drop down into the 20's and grab a first round next year. Then they use one of those first round picks next year to get AR. This would be the best case. 

5 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Then they use one of those first round picks next year to get AR. This would be the best case

Are you talking about using the 24 pick to get Rodgers this year? Or are you thinking of the 25 pick to get Rodgers next year?

Edited by xrade

37 minutes ago, xrade said:

Are you talking about using the 24 pick to get Rodgers this year? Or are you thinking of the 25 pick to get Rodgers next year?

Trade down from 13 to the 20's and pick up a first for next year. Then you use that pick you just got in 2024 first round for AR. 

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Trade down from 13 to the 20's and pick up a first for next year. Then you use that pick you just got in 2024 first round for AR. 

Gotcha. At first read, I thought the trade for Rodgers was next year. Then I would have had to accuse you of being an undercover Pats fan.  That was a close one. 

I have to dive into scouting this week so I can plan out my sports card investments and sports betting. 

Cedric Tillman is still on my radar for us to pick. I think him and Hyatt would be great for us. I don't think we'll pick a WR early though because I see the talent in our other position needs is just as good in those rounds. 

I'm liking Will Levis more and more. I think he will probably be the best QB in the draft. The guy does make a bone head play here and there because he had no OL and no weapons going against SEC D. If he is there at 13 boy it is hard to not take him. 

Hear me out.

If we get AR and he plays for 2 years and the Jets make deep playoff runs they will not have a chance at a QB. This maybe the only chance they get at a young QB. He can sit behind AR and start in his 3 year. Zach Wilson is not the QB here and we have to move on from him. 

So did a deep dive this morning while spacing out on the treadmill this morning on the OTs. 

And here's my rankings and brief breakdown of each one.

1. Paris Johnson: Plug and play OT can play LT or RT could even be moved inside to OG. But should be able to start over Brown and be an anchor for a decade for us. For me he's hands down the best all around OLineman in this draft. If he's there at 13, you send this pick in ASAP.

2. Peter Skoronski: He reminds me of Andrew Thomas a few drafts ago. A guy that has a very high floor, but ceiling is likely never going to be an elite OT. Just a very very good OT. He also has a lot of flexibility liker AVT where he might be better at OG, but 100% can play both. With Tomlinson not looking good last year... having a guy that can start possibly at OT as a rookie and if we wanted to move them to LG next year is a nice option. He's very well rounded in the run and passing game. Also a very safe pick.

3. Darnell Wright: Yes I have him ahead of Jones. And that's like the others... his floor for me is a lot higher than that of Jones. For me at minimum you get a very good starter at RT with Wright. Has all the tools, with good coaching can fix some of that rawness he's got in trying to bully guys. That will leave him exposed in the NFL. Better to be technical than just big and strong.

4. Broderick Jones: Jones for me might have the highest upside of all of these guys. But lacks some technical ability as of yet. He's a smart player, so i think he can be coached and very well could be one of the best if not the best OT in this class. He's probably the most athletic of the bunch and has great size. He reminds me of DBrick quite a bit. And I think we would all take 10 years of that again. The floor for me with Jones is just a bit lower than the other 3. So that's why I have him 4th.

At the end of the day... I'd be ecstatic of we got any one of these 4 guys. I don't dislike any of them to be honest. If anyone remembers I didn't want us to draft Becton. Bc I thought too many were getting caught up on his size, mobility and film. I wanted Wirfs actually. But I don't not want us to draft any one of these 4 guys.