Week 5 TNF GDT: Indianapolis Colts (1-2-1) at Denver Broncos (2-2)

Broncofan

Who wins the TNF game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the TNF game?

• Indianapolis
    • Denver
    • I just want a good game
    • I just want ppl to have fun
    • Oh god please no more Nathaniel Hackett

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Chuck Pagano and Andrew Luck went 11-5 in 2012. 

John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco went 11-5 in 2008.

Mike Smith and Matt Ryan 11-5 in 2008 also. 

Sean Payton and Drew Brees 10-6 in 2006. 

Jim Haslett with Jeff Blake/Aaron Brooks went 10-6 in 2000. 

Bobby Ross with Stan Humphries 11-5 in 1992. 

Marty Schottenheimer and Bernie Kosar 8-8 in 1985. They made the playoffs. 

Mike Holmgren and Brett Favre 9-7 in 1992, but no playoffs. 

Well, if one considers how the Colts are likely to finish the season based on their late season performance since Frank took over as HC, they will be right around that 10-11 win mark....right in line with those other teams. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Hey B&B after watching Russ last night ready to point the finger at him yet?  Figured I would follow up on our chat from yesterday.  That was pretty bad by Russ.  Obviously they can't give up on Russ but bad QB play and bad coaching right now in DEN.  They may need to pull the plug after one year with Hackett in hope someone can get Russ right because that contract is brutal if he's declining.  

You need to bring in an offensive guru because Russ needs some help.

By far his worst performance of the year. Missing 2 open receivers on 2 plays where they would have scored in the middle of the game and the end of the game. He locked onto Sutton which was just a bad move. Didn't seem to trust any of his other receivers very much last night.

he played great against Oakland but that was only the middle of the game where we had our best playcalling sequence of the season. He's not missing throws due to accuracy. He's just not seeing guys when they are open which isn't. A physical decline. It's just not being on the same page. Not even the same damn book. He's throwing timing routes but the receiver isn't running the same route. Everyone seems to be reading from a different book and Hackett doesn't seem like the kind of coach that can realize that and give everyone the same book.

I'd say there seems to be a mental decline with Russ far more than a physical one.

of all the "mobile" QBs in the league, the one out of them all that is more likely to stay in and make a stupid throw or great one instead of just running is Russ. Even when he was younger. 

best way I can explain it is Russ seems to be reading Game of Thrones and the Receivers are stuck on Harry Potter.

they also need to catch balls that hit them in the hands. Jeudy dropped a touchdown pass that hit him in the hands.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

"This caused Broncos fans to throw up..."

Then you can hear a producer or whatever in the background laughing. Damn what a mess. I guess it hurts so bad even at 2-3 because all hope seems lost after huge expectations. The Broncos under Manning were also 2-3 in his first year, but there wasn't this kind of backlash. This Wilson/Hackett operation...it's like "you ain't got no future Jack". 

They were 3-2 after Peyton’s first 5 starts unless I’m mistaken. And the offense averaged 29.6 ppg. Russell’s averaging 15 ppg. 

There’s your difference. 

No problem whatsoever going for the win there. Hackett and the broncos would have been excoriated for kicking it there as well. The only right answer was going to be the hindsight answer of their choice succeeding. It ended up not succeeding. 

25 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

By far his worst performance of the year. Missing 2 open receivers on 2 plays where they would have scored in the middle of the game and the end of the game. He locked onto Sutton which was just a bad move. Didn't seem to trust any of his other receivers very much last night.

he played great against Oakland but that was only the middle of the game where we had our best playcalling sequence of the season. He's not missing throws due to accuracy. He's just not seeing guys when they are open which isn't. A physical decline. It's just not being on the same page. Not even the same damn book. He's throwing timing routes but the receiver isn't running the same route. Everyone seems to be reading from a different book and Hackett doesn't seem like the kind of coach that can realize that and give everyone the same book.

I'd say there seems to be a mental decline with Russ far more than a physical one.

of all the "mobile" QBs in the league, the one out of them all that is more likely to stay in and make a stupid throw or great one instead of just running is Russ. Even when he was younger. 

best way I can explain it is Russ seems to be reading Game of Thrones and the Receivers are stuck on Harry Potter.

they also need to catch balls that hit them in the hands. Jeudy dropped a touchdown pass that hit him in the hands.

Obviously. They have no defense. Or offense. Or special teams. Or coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Tbh going for it was the correct call. You’re basically saying I want to tie if you kick the FG there with how little time was left. Good idea going for it just expect your 200 + million dollar QB to make the throw. 

After he had been doo doo all night, and most of the season? Take the 2-2-1 record over the 2-3 record. 

43 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Well, if one considers how the Colts are likely to finish the season based on their late season performance since Frank took over as HC, they will be right around that 10-11 win mark....right in line with those other teams. 

Hunh? It's not Frank's first year as a first time HC. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

No problem whatsoever going for the win there. Hackett and the broncos would have been excoriated for kicking it there as well. The only right answer was going to be the hindsight answer of their choice succeeding. It ended up not succeeding. 

Esp since he went for the questionable win choice in SEA, and because he went for the play-it-safe option with HOU and SF games, and rightly got eviscerated for that.

It's ironic, his being way-too-safe in his prior 4 games when he needed to be bold - he kinda painted himself in the corner where he had to be bold.   Again, I have no problem with the decision, because with 2:20 left, you're likely not getting the ball back.  

I have a huge problem with 3 things, though:

1.  He called shotgun with 4th and 1....to give away it was a pass.  Made it WAY easier for SEA to defend.

2.  He then called TO seeing the SEA D...and had the same formation.  And no motion.   Again, WAY easier to defend.   Even if you are passing, being under center, or at least showing a different look, gives SEA more options to account for.  

3.  After the game, when asked about why he chose to go for it, Hackett literally said "I got the go ahead to go for it".   Wait isn't he the HC?    It's a TERRIBLE ANSWER.   How can ppl NOT think that Hackett is anything but overmatched in-game.

I will quote again the key section where you wonder who's in charge when the key decisions need to be made.  It sure doesn't sound like Hackett is:

There’s another question to be asked about the final play of the game. Why not kick the field goal, play defense, and try to get the ball back? Even if the game had ended in a tie, a 2-2-1 record would be better than 2-3.

In explaining the decision-making process with the game on the line, Hackett made an interesting — and perhaps telling — comment in his post-game press conference. He said he “got the go to go for it.”

From whom? Isn’t that the head coach’s decision? Whoever gave the head coach the go to go for it is the guy who should apparently should be the head coach, because that person made a decision that is always reserved for the head coach.

What it Jerry Rosburg, who was specifically hired to help Hackett make better decisions in those spots? Was it an analytics person who apparently has final say over whatever Hackett chooses to do?

At the highest levels of any industry, perception is reality. And the perception through five games is that the game is too big for Hackett. Even with another assistant coach added on the fly, he’s not making good decisions in key moments.

That won’t bode well when new ownership decides whether to bring back for a second year a coach they didn’t hire in the first place. The buyout is negligible, relative to the extreme wealth of the Walton-Penner Wal-Mart group. Frankly, if they were making the decision right now, it wouldn’t be a difficult one.

Let's be clear - Russell Wilson lost the game last night.   Don't throw either of the 2 picks, we likely win the game.   Hit Jeudy wide open for the 4Q TD (and the 1H flag route too), we likely win the game.    Make the right read with Hamler on 4th and 1, we win the game.    Simply put, Wilson was AWFUL last night.    But Hackett's game-calling and game management is again a huge part of why the game was close, even despite Wilson's bad play.   And I haven't even got to the initial game plan that said DEN should run it on 1st down for 6 of the 7 first plays...and keep the game at 3-0 instead of higher. 

We can say Wilson lost the game yesterday on his own - but Hackett's still a massive minus each game.  And it's not getting better, but worse.    IMO, it's only a matter of when, not if Hackett gets fired.   It seemed crazy to think it would happen before season's end, but now the bye seems like the latest.   If the Chargers beat us on MNF - could be curtains IMO.   And that's not just my opinion, even NFL execs are thinking that way:

1-2 more weeks? This guy is worse than Vance "good week of practice" Joseph, who would have been fired after one year if that tool Joe Ellis (who Bowlen foolishly put in charge in 2008 with the trust, only to watch him hire McDaniels) didn't make Elway conduct a coaching search first before bringing back Mike Shanahan (Elway decided to give Joseph another year as a result).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

1 hour ago, Forge said:

They should have ran the ball. It was 4th and 1. With 2.5 minutes left

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The game would've automatically been over, no extra point.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The most ironic part of all this for me is the fact that if you changed the outcome of 2 plays the Broncos would be sitting at 4-1 right now.

I think this says more about the quality of opponents they’ve played so far versus the Broncos themselves.