Week 6: NY Jets @ Packers - GB falls to 3-3. First 2-game losing streak under LaFleur!

FAH1223

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Either we come out and stomp the crap out of the Jets, or we lose in a close one.

That's what I thought we'd do today. I'm not counting on them doing anything.
They're completely schizoid. Have a good stretch - then disappear entirely. **** if I know why.
It's a pain in the *** to watch though.

An inconstant Packers team Packers team goes to a neutral site and losses a close game to a team with the exact same record. I’m as disappointed if not more disappointed than anyone, but Packers media acting like the world is falling and it’s time to smash the panic button. Offense actually played pretty good through the whole game. 2 of last 3 drives (excluding final play) were inside giants 35 (Rodgers sack to take them out of FG range was egregious, look what happens when you actually do some blitzing Joe Barry). I also didn’t think the run defense was bad. It’s Joe Barry that concerns me the most and how he handles secondary play. Fortunately I do think games like today make Lafleur put his finger on the defense more and more, which in my eyes is a minuscule victory. I don’t think anybody was thrilled with the joe Barry hire, and he’s proving us right unfortunately. 

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Either we come out and stomp the crap out of the Jets, or we lose in a close one.

Probably one of those, or the Jets stomp GB, or the Jets lose a close one.

Going into this one, I am a little concerned that the ST units seem to be the only competent units on the team.

The offense and the defense both have concerning issues.

With the offense, the fix comes with the o-line shaking off rust and Rodgers building chemistry with his receivers. Others will argue that they must run more but the Giants were begging the Packers to throw. The play calls weren't suspect, the execution just isn't there. Once the line is sorted and Rodgers knows where his receivers are, the points will come.

The defense is a whole other matter. The personnel is there but the scheme is a terrible fit. What's the point of pairing an elite pass rusher and a shutdown corner with athletes at inside linebacker and safety who can fly all over the field if your going to sit back and play a soft zone? And then you pay Alexander and are about to pay Gary to play this passive, red carpet defense. I don't know how Gute can sit back after drafting Jaire, Gary, and even Walker and Savage and let them be deployed this way. It's absurd. And oh btw, you've got a top 5 NT to boot. But yeah, let's play off everyone and let teams rack up 10+ play drives all day.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think we are stomping anyone right now. We have to get used to the fact that the Packers are going to win a lot of close games this year and as a result, will also lose a few close ones in the process. We also tend to play at the level of our opponents too, meaning one week we could beat or lose to the Jags at home by 3, but then be competitive at Buffalo the next week. 

I see the Jets game as a 24-21 type game. Just haven't decided yet who I think is going to win yet. 

28 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The offense and the defense both have concerning issues.

With the offense, the fix comes with the o-line shaking off rust and Rodgers building chemistry with his receivers. Others will argue that they must run more but the Giants were begging the Packers to throw. The play calls weren't suspect, the execution just isn't there. Once the line is sorted and Rodgers knows where his receivers are, the points will come.

This part is the biggest learning curve post-Adams. With Davante, we probably win that game yesterday by 3-7 instead of losing by 5 because Adams tended to have good games against man-coverage defenses as aggressive as the Giants were yesterday. There probably would have been 1 or 2 plays where Rodgers would have hit Adams to save a drive, etc. Yesterday, on the 3 and out drive after the Giants tied the game, the Giants loaded the box and the Packers ran 3-straight passing plays with deeper routes. All they needed was to hit on 1 of 3. The 2nd play to Cobb should have been the conversion, but again, the lack of a true alpha WR didn't help in that situation. In fact, even though the NFL as a whole is more of a zone/Rams style defense, it wouldn't surprise me to see some teams coming up try to replicate what the Giants did and simply load the box and outright dare the Packers to beat them 1 on 1 on the outside. When/if that happens, will MLF be able to adjust, something he really hasn't learned how to do in over 3 years as HC.