Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d be fine with any of those, though if we take the HOU deal I think we look to trade back again. I love both Anderson and Carter for us, but we need so much that I am leaning for more in quantity. That may change after FA though depending on where we spend. 

I think Washington and Tennessee will offer a DT or a DE along with 2023's 1,2,3 and 2024's 1,2,3 or something similar to these value.

2 hours ago, JibjeResearch said:

I think Washington and Tennessee will offer a DT or a DE along with 2023's 1,2,3 and 2024's 1,2,3 or something similar to these value.

I agree the further back we go the more other teams might have to offer players on top of picks. I’m not sure I can see a team being willing to give up their top 3 picks each of the next 2 years plus players for Bryce Young though. If there was a Lawrence/Luck? Maybe, but then maybe our discussion about possibly trading Fields is different too. 

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I mean no way they are actually giving this up but can you imagine 😂

I mean that would be a dream scenario and imagine the additional capital from a 2nd trade down.  But I don't know if I'd even want to do a trade down, get the best player in the draft in Carter, be in the sweet spot for JSN, and then get that early 2nd back, plus what will probably be a very high first next year.  Yeah I'd make that trade tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I mean that would be a dream scenario and imagine the additional capital from a 2nd trade down.  But I don't know if I'd even want to do a trade down, get the best player in the draft in Carter, be in the sweet spot for JSN, and then get that early 2nd back, plus what will probably be a very high first next year.  Yeah I'd make that trade tomorrow.

If we got that trade I take Carter & JSN and don't even truly consider trading back again...you get the best player in the draft and a WR who is a known commodity to your franchise QB...that is worth as much even more than potentially moving down further and still having 3 2nd round picks gives you all the flexibility we need after those 2.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

If we got that trade I take Carter & JSN and don't even truly consider trading back again...you get the best player in the draft and a WR who is a known commodity to your franchise QB...that is worth as much even more than potentially moving down further and still having 3 2nd round picks gives you all the flexibility we need after those 2.

You'd have 2 2s, but also 2 3s, 2 4s, and 2 5s.

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Houston’s best deal only makes sense for us IMO in one of these 3 scenarios:

-Houston grossly overpays (the least likely IMO)

-Poles decides he HAS to have either Anderson or Carter and as such doesn’t want to go lower than 2 and losing his guy

-Poles doesn’t feel like he has to have either Anderson or Carter and knows he’ll be trading down a second time from 2, with the double trade likely allowing him to maximize value

I think in any other scenario it makes more sense for us to take more from someone else. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Houston’s best deal only makes sense for us IMO in one of these 3 scenarios:

-Houston grossly overpays (the least likely IMO)

-Poles decides he HAS to have either Anderson or Carter and as such doesn’t want to go lower than 2 and losing his guy

-Poles doesn’t feel like he has to have either Anderson or Carter and knows he’ll be trading down a second time from 2, with the double trade likely allowing him to maximize value

I think in any other scenario it makes more sense for us to take more from someone else. 

I guess for me Poles might be worried about the nightmare scenario...trade down to #4 with Indy...they take Young...Houston then don't have another QB ranked highly enough to take at #2 and now have who in their eyes was the best QB in their division for the next 10 years and with Ryan as HC think they can wait another year for the QB and draft say Anderson...Arizona then draft Carter...who do we take at #4?...is it likely to happen given the need Houston have for a face of the franchise at QB? Probably not but you just never know...

Now what I would say is in that scenario the top of the QB market has been reset for every team around the league and we could trade down again but that all depends on as you said how much they want a cornerstone DL. 

Immediately after Lovie beat the colts I pondered a trade down with the Texans that was literally just 1.1 for 1.2 and their 2nd and was totally fine with it. We end up back where we were supposed to be and got a draft pick out of it that erases the cost of the Claypool mishap. I talked with a Texan fan that argued even my posted trade was too much for the Texans to consider and they’d more likely do 1.2, a 3 and Cooks. 

It’s interesting now that we could make it so much more than that with the same team. We hold all the cards here, but only have one card. That card: Exodia

Here's a possible trade that is good for Baltimore, Washington, and Chicago.

Baltimore gets Justin Fields (3 years rookie contract) and Daron Payne (Franchised).

Washington gets Lamar Jackson (Franchised).

Chicago gets 2023 1st, 2nd from Baltimore and 1st in 2024

Chicago gets 2023 1st, 2nd from Washington and 2nd in 2024

And with the 1st pick, Chicago picks CJ Stroud... because he dominated Georgia's defense.