Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Mel Kiper just mocked the Double Trade down...

Its out there boys, Im telling you, we get the Texans to bite, and we still control everything with 4 (or 5 depending on how low we would go) teams still wanting a QB

Especially if Houston is the one who truly loves Bryce Young, and the others are weary on him

I just want this all to end so we can stop speculating for the next 2 months.

We gave up #3, a 3rd, a 4th, and future 3rd to move up the one spot

If we do that trade with the texans, minimum i'm asking for is their 2nd and one of their extra 3rds this year

Hoping that Poles is really figuring out a strategy with contingencies for all the resources he has, and I think we'll find out that he is, and is going to want to play it safe and build around Fields while giving himself an out in case Fields isn't his guy.  Keep in mind that I personally love Fields and think he can be the guy if the team forms around him.  But Poles didn't draft him, he may not have loved the original evaluation and there may be emotional reasons he wants Fields to have to force his way into his plans.  It's been said but I'll say it again;  Poles' approach to Fields was not very coherent last year; he built a team that would make it really really hard to make complete evaluation of Fields (and there are still lots of nay and yeasayer (RIP the band) voices out there) but then he also made the Claypool trade, which to me seems like his mind was changed or he really doesn't know what he wants (hoping the former)

Annnnnyway... it wouldn't surprise me if their approach to trading down was going to require future high picks, plus middle round spots this year.  They can get volume to attack this year, hopefully still get a top player after a trade down or two, but also have valuable picks next year.  If Fields stinks this year and all of a sudden you don't think he's the guy, or he gets hurt, then you've got resources to try and go up and get a new guy. Imagine Bears and Colts have top ten picks and the Bears hold both, you're able to move both to get up to the Cardinal's (or whoever) spot and get the QB.  If Fields balls out and you have a pick and the teens and a the Colts pick at, say, 6, then you look like a genius being able to get two top talents to fuel up your ascending team.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

That would kinda suck if true for multiple reasons.

I doubt that.  They have fired 2 consecutive head coaches after a single season, so Demeco has incentive to get a QB that needs time to develop to give him job security, and Caserio has been around for a couple years with 2 different head coaches and 7 total wins.  I think the pressure is on for them to get some hope on the team and a QB is going to be the best way to do it.  

• Like 4

Dan Wiederer is just the angel of bad news.  He has very negative opinions about everything Bears (imagine that being your job!) but also seems drawn to negative news as well.  At this point I think it's a bit as it gets him lots of engagement with fans who will jump to attack the dark clouds "Dude Fields is awesome"  "Flus is da truth" and "Staley isn't a sex offender"

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Dan Wiederer is just the angel of bad news.  He has very negative opinions about everything Bears (imagine that being your job!) but also seems drawn to negative news as well.  At this point I think it's a bit as it gets him lots of engagement with fans who will jump to attack the dark clouds "Dude Fields is awesome"  "Flus is da truth" and "Staley isn't a sex offender"

i stopped following him on twitter because he was just such a downer about everything

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

@CBears019 Webby needs to offer their Wiederer guy a position as a mod. He sounds like a perfect fit to balance out our optimism and cherub-like demeanor. IF Webby REALLY has to, this guy can match my pay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

So, Pole is looking for some young players... so these teams look like the trading partners.

Washington's DT Payne

Carolina's DE Burns

Tennessee's DT Simmons

I still think Lamar Jackson will be traded...

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/2/28/23618590/chicago-bears-justin-fields-qb1-nfl-scouting-combine-2023

I think the 3 guys you mention all make a ton of sense...two of those teams also have WRs I am sure we could be interested in as well...

Part of me wonders if Poles would love to get some players involved in this trade for the simple fact of him knowing he needs to spend a lot of money and doesn't want it all to happen in FA but also isn't totally sold on enough of our own guys for extensions.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the 3 guys you mention all make a ton of sense...two of those teams also have WRs I am sure we could be interested in as well...

Part of me wonders if Poles would love to get some players involved in this trade for the simple fact of him knowing he needs to spend a lot of money and doesn't want it all to happen in FA but also isn't totally sold on enough of our own guys for extensions.

Adding a DL and a WR would be cool...😀

We should keep Mooney, Johnson, and Kmet. 

If Claypool works out, keep him too.  I wanted him when he came out... so this is a dream comes true for me lolz😁

Still also really have to wonder if Flus is making a play for some of his old Colts defenders with a trade down...he loves Kenny Moore in the slot and DeForest Buckner at UT...Buckner not just for being a great player but also an outstanding leader which is something we massively lack on this defence...Buckner at 29 years old buys you 3 or 4 years of quality play to find more talent upfront and more leadership all over the D...they both fit that length requirement at their positions...trade for #4 plus those two and some other picks allows you to put Gordon on the outside across from JJ with Moore inside...draft even Wilson at #4 and if gives you two massive pass rushers up front...could be off to a much worse start than that when it comes to rebuilding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

That would kinda suck if true for multiple reasons.

First off let's remember it's the lying season. Second, Houston imo was always a fallback option. poles will not get a big enough return going down one step. Carolina and Indy are the two teams driving up the value for the #1 pick. Either one will net us a future R1 plus picks.