2022-2023 NBA GDT: The regular season is finally over!

11sanchez11

12 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

In a player driven league you have to win titles. Plural. Spo, Pop, and Kerr all won multiple titles they never got fired. Bud won one then got fired. Lue won one then got fired. Doc won one then got fired. Nurse won one then got fired. 

Monty hasn’t won anything and now the pressure is extremely high with a new owner going all in with KD. The NBA get these young coaches with little to no experience and the downside is firing them quickly. The Raptors is considering hiring JJ Redick as their coach. Nobody is saying a bad thing about it. The Texans were getting bashed for the thought of hiring Josh McCown as their coach. In the NFL if you win you don’t get fired quickly. It’s different in the NBA. The good news is Monty should easily get another coaching job and take a franchise that’s poor to being respectful if not really good. Or he can go to another good franchise and win there. I do badly want him to come to Brooklyn to coach Bridges and Cam again and then in a few years try to get Booker. He is definitely an upgrade over Vaughn imo. 

Multiple titles or not, what have Spo or Pop done to deserve getting fired? I think if they did asstier work they would get canned like Monty, regardless of what they did years ago. Spo hasn't won in a decade, but all his teams are competitive af, with some dips every few years. Suns had an epic collapse last year, after an huge collapse in the Finals the year before, and were a .500 team this year before the Durant trade.

Pop is coaching for a team that basically wants the next LeBron tier talent through the draft, and nothing else. Spurs wouldn't target Jokic in free agency if he declared he wants to play for Pop because they really like this kid they got as an undrafted free agent from West Dakota community college, and this other 37 year old they had their eye on since the Jordan era in a Puerto Rican YMCA that they will bring over when he turns 40.

Cue the 30 for 30:

”Good to be good Ja”

When he has his inevitable free fall from grace and ends up doing 99% of the interview in an orange jump suit when he talks about being in the wrong place at the wrong time in a drive by.

5 hours ago, adamq said:

But... but.. they said he's learned from his actions! That he changed!

He himself said hes learned from his actions too lol What a dingus man. Dude has the entire world in his palms but seems like he wants to be involved in an different life.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sad People said:

He himself said hes learned from his actions too lol What a dingus man. Dude has the entire world in his palms but seems like he wants to be involved in an different life.

You can't fix stupid.  We all knew he said that because his agent told him to say that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Multiple titles or not, what have Spo or Pop done to deserve getting fired? I think if they did asstier work they would get canned like Monty, regardless of what they did years ago. Spo hasn't won in a decade, but all his teams are competitive af, with some dips every few years. Suns had an epic collapse last year, after an huge collapse in the Finals the year before, and were a .500 team this year before the Durant trade.

Pop is coaching for a team that basically wants the next LeBron tier talent through the draft, and nothing else. Spurs wouldn't target Jokic in free agency if he declared he wants to play for Pop because they really like this kid they got as an undrafted free agent from West Dakota community college, and this other 37 year old they had their eye on since the Jordan era in a Puerto Rican YMCA that they will bring over when he turns 40.

You missed my point. It seems like unless you are winning multiple titles you don’t last long in the NBA. In the NFL winning one title can get you a long leash. Heck if you get to a Superbowl it gets you a long leash in the NFL. In the NBA since it’s about the Superteams if you don’t win multiple titles you can get fired quickly. Teams don’t have a long time with all these Superteams quickly forming yearly. 

Now is it wrong? Yes. Monty shouldn’t have gotten fired. Nurse shouldn’t have gotten fired. Bud I can understand. But one thing I give the NBA credit is they will hire young coaches with little to no experience. The NFL you have to have experience or else backlash will happen. Heck there was people doubting that McVay would work out bc of his age 30 at the time and he had experience on Washington staff. And when he worked out that’s when other teams started taking more of a chance of younger coaches. Some hit but most failed. So I applaud the NBA for giving guys like Monty and Lue and possibly next JJ Redick a chance. But the pressure is on them to win titles especially when you have Booker, KD, and a new owner who want to win and make those big bold moves. 

4 hours ago, Sad People said:

Where there's smoke there's usually fire. I'm sure he's involved with something way more dangerous.