Where Do We Go From Here?

Billy86

I think the Packers BOD's need to meet and force change. You start at the head of the snack. Give Murphy an ultimatum to retire if not he's out. Brian Gutekunst just needs to go period. His poor decisions have handcuffed this franchise for the next year's to come. The minute he drafted Jordan Love he doomed this franchise. Then add in everything he drafted from 2020 to now have way more misses then hits. Then add in all of the money throwing at Baki, Jones, Rodgers, and the Smiths, etc.

Drain the entire organization from Murphy, Gute and the entire front office and scouts on down.  This organization needs a kick in the *** and hire new people all from outside the organization period. The Packers way and philosophy just doesn't work anymore.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, landoc88 said:

I think the Packers BOD's need to meet and force change. You start at the head of the snack. Give Murphy an ultimatum to retire if not he's out. Brian Gutekunst just needs to go period. His poor decisions have handcuffed this franchise for the next year's to come. The minute he drafted Jordan Love he doomed this franchise. Then add in everything he drafted from 2020 to now have way more misses then hits. Then add in all of the money throwing at Baki, Jones, Rodgers, and the Smiths, etc.

Drain the entire organization from Murphy, Gute and the entire front office and scouts on down.  This organization needs a kick in the *** and hire new people all from outside the organization period. The Packers way and philosophy just doesn't work anymore.

Yah know?  You had me for a while.  Till you talked about the Love pick dooming a franchise.  You do realize the success they had right after that pick, right?  for years.  And with a little luck, one of them, or two of them could have ended with a new shiny trophy in the case. 

And... the Smith's brought a lot of wins to the organization.  

You bring up Bakh's name.  He was re-signed before the injury.  Are you really saying to let a franchise LT walk when he is 29 or so?  Especially one that is close friends with your cornerstone piece in Rodgers?  And...Rodgers...he was still really good at the time of that re-signing.

I get the anger, and I do agree that a shake up needs to happen on a few levels.  Those points you brought up just didn't make a ton of sense to me.  

• Like 11

18 hours ago, landoc88 said:

This is just irrational fan crap, hopefully you don't make your own real-life decisions with that mindset. Because the Packers hit a little choppy water doesn't mean the plan should be to blow up the ship and kill everyone onboard.   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, R T said:

This is just irrational fan crap, hopefully you don't make your own real-life decisions with that mindset. Because the Packers hit a little choppy water doesn't mean the plan should be to blow up the ship and kill everyone onboard.   

My dog got a little sick. Better kill it and every dog it ever greeted at the dog park.

• Like 9

On 11/8/2022 at 3:17 PM, landoc88 said:

You mean the top LT in the game (at the time) with no significant injury history, one of the top RBs, a future HoF QB (though yes, I think giving him this recent contract was real foolish), and two very good edge players? What?

Where do we go from here ...

This Season

At this point, I don't care about draft position. The last thing we need to do is cultivate a losing culture or a culture where it is OK to give up when it gets tricky. We are 3-6. Season isn't dead, we should game plan for Dallas like it is the super bowl and same again until season really is dead. If nothing else, we find out who has the heart for the fight. This isn't denial, this team isn't going anywhere but they need to try and get there regardless.

End of Season

The window is shut. No more cap kicking, void years and all that. Not saying gut the roster but time to pay the bills. Jones, Bak, Crosby and so on are too expensive. Rebuild starts here.

Rodgers

The only out we have is a trade. Explain the situation and make it clear its very much a rebuild. Most of his buddies are gone.  If he wants to be part of the rebuild then fine, Love project ends here and we prepare to draft another QB in next year or so. If he doesn't (as I expect) , don't make it toxic. Sort something out and if we don't get optimal compensation then whatever. The cap space saved is worth more than a 1st.

Love

Throwing him in now is setting him up to fail. It is a bad team, low on confidence built around Rodgers. Sure, give him game time when season is lost but assuming Rodgers is gone, next year is his audition with an offence designed around him. Forget the 5th year option.

Perspective

If we finish 4-13 then under MLF and co we are 3-1 in very good seasons to very bad. That is with a head coach and GM who are apparently terrible and a washed up QB with no leadership skills. It is the NFL, losing seasons happen. Get used to it. The 'fire everyone' brigade need to grow up and stop acting like entitled kids. Reality is they deserve another year.   What coach/GM would want to join us if you sack everyone at first sign of problems.

• Like 3

Article on the GB offense.   No wonder why there are so many mental errors

https://madison.com/sports/football/professional/for-aaron-rodgers-search-for-antidote-to-packers-offensive-struggles-proves-elusive/article_8781b15b-041f-5969-86c9-345838975e65.html

Those injuries, coupled with inexperience, have prevented receivers from developing the versatility to line up in various spots on offense, instead requiring them to play one specific spot where each of them is most comfortable and less likely to make mistakes.

And yet, those mistakes continue, and Rodgers’ mistakes against the Lions only created even more angst.

Nonetheless, Rodgers pushed back on the suggestion that, after so many years of saying the Packers have two offenses — what he calls the “on paper” offense and the offense “as I run it” — that being more by-the-book with LaFleur’s system might help.

“I think there’s been more ‘by the book’ this year than any year in my career, I would say, because we haven’t had the veteran group on the outside to handle the position switches like we’ve had in years past,” Rodgers said.

“I think that’s where maybe the idea’s a little bit off. It has been very by the book. I think the struggle has been, how we make it by the book but not robotic? Because robotic, unless you have a perfect scheme that’s paired up with a perfect defense for that scheme, it’s not going to (work).

“I don’t know if there’s an idea that we’re going way outside the system. I don’t think that’s the case. I think we’ve been more by the book in this year than we have been in any year that Matt’s been here.”

No wonder why there are so many mental errors

49 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Love

Throwing him in now is setting him up to fail. It is a bad team, low on confidence built around Rodgers. Sure, give him game time when season is lost but assuming Rodgers is gone, next year is his audition with an offence designed around him. Forget the 5th year option.

This is kind of a gamble. If we drop his 5th year option and he balls out, we could be forced into bidding for him. Assuming his option is $20M, I'm actually ok picking it up just to be sure we have a QB signed for 2024. If he falls flat in 2023 and we draft a rookie, Love will be able to play until that QB comes in.

On 11/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, landoc88 said:

The current philosophy is the best way to go for Green Bay.  You live in a place nobody wants to go and you have to often overpay to get them.  That's pretty tough on a salary cap and managing a team.  The free spending fantasy football approach will get you in trouble fast in a town like Green Bay.  It's best to build a foundation and carefully craft a team through draft and development and add a key FA or two as you build. JMO.

Edited by NFLGURU