Week 12 Gameday Thread (SNF Edition) - Green Bay Packers (4-7-0) @ Philadelphia Eagles (9-1-0)

Striker

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think he was just gassed.  He did play in every defensive snap last night.  And I know that wasn't the last play of the game, but he had been running quite a bit, then had to do 60ish yards.  Speed is the last thing that I am worried about with Quay.  

I guess that is true.  

Wasn't he also the guy they had spying Hurts much of night?   He didn't look that fast in those moments either.  

It's also game whatever and GB was not going 3 and out and that was a key moment. 

He should be in good shape by now and be inspired to score and find deep reserves in that situation.  

Alexander was buzzing around him like a sparrow around a gliding hawk.

The Philly OL were chasing at same speed he was running.

I give him a loaf on that return.   I had same criticism for Gordan earlier this year for Bears on a similar play.  

I give him a pass if he was hurt or something.  

Ok, after letting it digest:

+Christian Watson.  This guy is on fire.  I think he has a good shot at OROY if he keeps up this pace, and yes, I am a homer.

+ Running backs.  This was the best AJ Dillon has looked in a long time.  Jones also played well.  Jones had 100 total yards and Dillon had 80. 

+Offense.  I think they played mostly good ball overall.  Put up 33 points, and without looking it up, I think that is a season high.

+Keisean Nixon.  For the first time since 1996, we weren't behind all game in field position because of the return game.  He also is functional on defense.  I like this guy.  I read on twitter that he is the only player with 2 50+ yard returns in one game this season.

+Jordan Love.  Have to take this as a positive.  He looked better than he has in his other appearances, and that probably includes preseason.  If it were up to me, Love starts next week at Chicago, and Rodgers is re-evaluated after the bye.  Give Love a real start, and let Rodgers get some extra recovery time.  I still think Rodgers is the starter when he returns, and next season.  But sitting him injured and getting more evaluation on Love hurts nothing.  I would also completely shut down Rodgers if indeed his thumb requires surgical repair.  Get into rehab/recovery sooner rather than later.

~OL.  They looked real good at times.  But when they got beat, they got beat bad.  I think the smart move, money wise, is to let Jenkins go this offseason.  I think we have the bodies and drafting ability, and probably coaching staff to make guard work.  I am not convinced that Myers is what we thought he was.  

~Edge guys.  Enagbare still plays pretty well.  Preston Smith is pretty darn good at setting the edge, and this is even year Smith.  Garvin has been my guy, but even I am giving up on the potential that was there.  The new guy, Hollins looked pretty good, especially considering he came in during the week.

-TEs.  Still completely invisible and useless.  

-3rd down offense.  I know I said that I think they were pretty good overall.  But we were 1-7 on third downs, and we can't have that when we are getting gashed on the ground on the other side.  

-Run defense.  

-Quay Walker and Adrian Amos tackling.  Too many times one, or both, of these two had a play stopped, IF they could make a tackle.  But, they didn't make the tackle, and drives continued.  

-Jaire Alexander and Rasul Douglas.  Moreso Jaire, but these guys are incredibly chirpy for as middling as they have played.  Jaire is entering Terrell Buckley territory on this front.  You are losing by 14, just gave up 14 yards on 3rd and 11, then do some interpretive dance when you get a PD?  Come on.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I guess that is true.  

Wasn't he also the guy they had spying Hurts much of night?   He didn't look that fast in those moments either.  

It's also game whatever and GB was not going 3 and out and that was a key moment. 

He should be in good shape by now and be inspired to score and find deep reserves in that situation.  

Alexander was buzzing around him like a sparrow around a gliding hawk.

The Philly OL were chasing at same speed he was running.

I give him a loaf on that return.   I had same criticism for Gordan earlier this year for Bears on a similar play.  

I give him a pass if he was hurt or something.  

I don't think he is hurt.  And no, it wasn't a great return.  IIRC, and I haven't watched the replay, he was moving fast then slowed way down.  LIS, I think he just ran out of gas.  

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I guess that is true.  

Also wanted to address this.  He was on Hurts some of the time.  The first drive by the Eagles is a 3 and out if Quay makes a tackle on Hurts.  That was definitely his assignment on that third down play.  Through the course of the night, I am sure that it changed up some.  Not all of it was on Quay.  Both Quay and Amos missed multiple tackles last night that would have changed drives quite a bit.  I don't think it is a secret that this Packers team is incredibly finesse.

I am sure that there will be some film work by someone more talented than me, this offseason, about Quay.  Just from watching live, he is going through the rookie roller coaster.  Sometimes he is playing fast and strong, and looks like a future probowler.  Other times he looks completely lost and out of his depth.  The Lions and Eagles games looked pretty poor and the Cowboys and Titans games he looked pretty good.  I think he is 50/50 right now.  I hope he is going to be good, and I think he is going to be good, but I am not sold.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Also wanted to address this.  He was on Hurts some of the time.  The first drive by the Eagles is a 3 and out if Quay makes a tackle on Hurts.  That was definitely his assignment on that third down play.  Through the course of the night, I am sure that it changed up some.  Not all of it was on Quay.  Both Quay and Amos missed multiple tackles last night that would have changed drives quite a bit.  I don't think it is a secret that this Packers team is incredibly finesse.

I am sure that there will be some film work by someone more talented than me, this offseason, about Quay.  Just from watching live, he is going through the rookie roller coaster.  Sometimes he is playing fast and strong, and looks like a future probowler.  Other times he looks completely lost and out of his depth.  The Lions and Eagles games looked pretty poor and the Cowboys and Titans games he looked pretty good.  I think he is 50/50 right now.  I hope he is going to be good, and I think he is going to be good, but I am not sold.

I am not saying he is a bust for all time.   I am just saying he didn't look good last night.   He looked bad.

Any great athlete can take a large leap forward when/if light comes on.

• Like 1

Just now, dll2000 said:

I am not saying he is a bust for all time.   I am just saying he didn't look good last night.   He looked bad.

I am in 100% agreement with that evaluation.  I remember a play against the Lions where everyone played their zone, and Quay stood there flat footed, like an idiot while the receiver ran right past his face.  I think this game was 10x better than the Lions game for Quay.  At least against the Eagles, he was usually in the right place, he just couldn't tackle.  

It will be interesting to see which Quay shows up against Fields.  Fields is playing like a sawed off Cam Newton right now.  If Quay tackles like this again, Fields will eat him up.  I don't think Quay has been out athleted yet, but he has sure been out footballed quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am in 100% agreement with that evaluation.  I remember a play against the Lions where everyone played their zone, and Quay stood there flat footed, like an idiot while the receiver ran right past his face.  I think this game was 10x better than the Lions game for Quay.  At least against the Eagles, he was usually in the right place, he just couldn't tackle.  

It will be interesting to see which Quay shows up against Fields.  Fields is playing like a sawed off Cam Newton right now.  If Quay tackles like this again, Fields will eat him up.  I don't think Quay has been out athleted yet, but he has sure been out footballed quite a bit.

We are all hoping Fields doesn't play.    We are in pure tank mode hoping to get a top 3 pick we can trade away.

You guys can run around and get big stats on both sides of ball and feel good.   Everyone will look like an all star.

Have fun.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

We are all hoping Fields doesn't play.    We are in pure tank mode hoping to get a top 3 pick we can trade away.

You guys can run around and get big stats on both sides of ball and feel good.   Everyone will look like an all star.

Have fun.

Oh, really?  I have admittedly not payed as much attention to the rest of the NFL in the last couple of years.  Fields has what Mayfield had last year, correct? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He's what they said he was .. a great athlete with poor instincts.  I think he'll probably figure it out in time, but he's no NFL signal calling middle backer yet.  Hopefully Campbell returns soon .. guessing he'll be back after the bye.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

At this point, I'd use the rest of the season to evaluate young guys. Winning won't get you into the playoffs with losses to Wash/NYG, and the division isn't happening (Minnesota plays Indy, Chi and Detroit still).

Get the young guys experience, maybe win one game but consider this time an extension of the preseason.

This would be my hope as well. MLF leans heavy on experience it's easy to see. So hopefully he's going to let the youngones play. Hopefully the FO can put AR on ice for a game or two and we can see what Love looks like that would be even better. If we win, we win at that point i could care less as the most important position would be satisfied. That is a best case scenario in my eyes. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, mtsportsfan1 said:
On 11/27/2022 at 10:46 PM, Mr. Fussnputz said:

All you need is Love. Love. Love is all you need.

Hey , i think there might be a song there ! Lol

Blech. Anyone who writes a song with lyrics that banal will never amount to anything

• Like 1

Got around to watching the 22 on Love's two drives last night. That was some high level ****. The throw to Watson, back turned to the field on the PA, back foot hits, turn around, survey and rip it, damn. Probably less than a second he took to decipher his read was open and get the ball out. The throw to Jones to beat Cover-2, lawd, he saw that open up on the tablet on the sidelines after the first series. They had Jones on the opposite side on the play he checked down to Dillon, same coverage, same play. Came back to it next series, saw he had the same look and let that rip with anticipation, stupid Jones ruined a sweet play.

He is ready, thanks Aaron for the GOAT career. Need to find a way out of that contract. 

eygyul67tl661.jpg?auto=webp&s=1ff2e300c4

• Like 5