Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

19 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Mullens was plenty aggro in that area of the field, too. The man had an 8+ ypa. Now, Purdy has not been. He was a bit checkdown Charlie with a couple of decent throws on Sunday. 

My only real concern in that area of the field with Purdy is the batted balls because of his height. But he had a throw to JJ on 3rd down, a in-route to Ayuik and the hot read to Kittle in that area that were on time and delivered with accuracy. Even his throws towards the boundary impressed me. He did air mail one corner route to Deebo but that throw over the underneath defender to Croft was underrated. And he made it looked rather routine. 

• Like 1

Just got done watching a bunch of highlight reels on Purdy.  Nearly everything was between 10-20 yards, between the numbers.  And, looked purdy good doing it.  If he can limit turnovers, not only do I think he won't be THAT far off from Jimmy, the scheme won't need to change much, either.  But, that's a very big "if."  Rookies make mistakes.

While I do think Lance is the better overall athlete, Purdy has that confidence factor about him.  He exudes it on the field.  His teammates said it was infectious.  Which is probably why there are some people thinking there might be a little controversy next season.  Plus, it's just a dang good story.   First Mr Irrelevant to score a touchdown in NFL history, the video with his mom, the win on Sunday, etc..  I don't know how all that lasts, but you can't deny the storyline.  

As for the Bucs, the game last night almost looked scripted.  Almost nothing was impressive until those last two drives, and they got bailed out on some calls along the way.  I mean, it's Brady, so....  We've all seen that numerous times.  Hoping to get up such a big lead that it's not even mathematically possible to have a comeback.   Bosa's hammy needs to chill out this week.  Brady needs to taste some of that grass a few times.  

Hoping for a 27-10 score, but wouldn't be surprised with a 13-10 situation.  If the game stays close, I don't like our odds.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would he possibly push to return for the WC round? If Purdy does pretty decent and has us winning games, will Shanny roll with the rookie or go back to Jimmy? 

Hard to say. History has shown us that Jimmy needs a game or two to shake off the rust. Can't afford that in a win or go home situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would he possibly push to return for the WC round? If Purdy does pretty decent and has us winning games, will Shanny roll with the rookie or go back to Jimmy? 

Unless Purdy starts playing like Dan Fouts or Drew Brees, I think Jimmy has earned the right to start for this team, and that's what the locker room would want. Hopefully coach feels the same way. I do get the feeling Jimmy will try to make it back for the wild card round. I think that's 6 weeks from now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Unless Purdy starts playing like Dan Fouts or Drew Brees, I think Jimmy has earned the right to start for this team, and that's what the locker room would want. Hopefully coach feels the same way. I do get the feeling Jimmy will try to make it back for the wild card round. I think that's 6 weeks from now. 

There are a lot of what if's between now and then, but if it is close, my guess is that they stick with Purdy.  He will be on the team next year, and the experience would be valuable moving forward.  I think making a change back wouldn't make sense unless Jimmy is clearly better than Purdy.  

We don't really know how good Purdy is yet, nor how healthy Jimmy G will be, so everything is very hypothetical.  

Going into the playoffs with JG coming off an injury early scares me just as much, if not more, than starting Purdy.  Just the unknown of how healthy he is, if he will get back into the swing right away, etc.  

I think it takes a team about 6 quarters to get used to a new QB and for the QB to get re-acclimated to the players.  Making that change in the playoffs is risky.  As more information comes out, the choice will likely become clear.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

In his first game, a 33-17 win against the Dolphins, Purdy was legitimately impressive and flashed some important traits. Playing in relief of the injured Garoppolo, Purdy was aggressive, made out-of-structure plays, was good on third down and stayed cool against Miami’s aggressive Cover 0 blitzes (man-to-man with no deep help). Miami’s zero-blitzing scheme, which has carried over from former head coach Brian Flores’ tenure, has left even veteran quarterbacks such as Jared Goff and Lamar Jackson completely befuddled, yet Purdy was unfazed even as the Dolphins cranked up the heat to intimidate the rookie. Purdy handled some of the most difficult parts of playing quarterback with ease, and that’s certainly an encouraging sign that he can hold things together until Garoppolo’s possible return.

Another encouraging part of Purdy’s debut: You could see him get better in real time. He didn’t make the same mistake twice and hit on reads he missed previously.

Having the patience to go through full-field reads in his first NFL action, especially without many or any first-team practice reps, is not something you expect to see very often even from rookies drafted in the first round, but Purdy did it on multiple occasions.

Again, Purdy’s biggest issues were misfired passes, but we need a bigger sample size of throws to see if his accuracy is a problem. Shanahan said there were some issues with getting the correct play in and snapping the ball before the play clock expired, too. Purdy did a good job of getting out of trouble and made some plays outside of the pocket, but I want to see him slide up in the pocket a little more.

-Ted Nguyen of The Athletic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Good stuff. 

Doesn't it seem like Purdy may have been slept on by the League during the draft season? I mean, from the moment he stepped foot on the field even back in training camp, players and coaches were raving about him. He played pretty well in pre-season, won the back up job over a coaching staff favorite, and even Shanahan mentioned he wanted to get Purdy on the field during the regular season earlier this year. 

Then, he goes out and looks pretty decent. It feels like if the draft happened again, he'd probably go a few rounds earlier. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Good stuff. 

Doesn't it seem like Purdy may have been slept on by the League during the draft season? I mean, from the moment he stepped foot on the field even back in training camp, players and coaches were raving about him. He played pretty well in pre-season, won the back up job over a coaching staff favorite, and even Shanahan mentioned he wanted to get Purdy on the field during the regular season earlier this year. 

Then, he goes out and looks pretty decent. It feels like if the draft happened again, he'd probably go a few rounds earlier. 

Not really. Bad QB class, he has no physical tools and if people are being honest, he never really got any better throughout his college career. He was mostly the same guy as a senior that he was as a freshman. He had so much hype about being the next great QB when he was a freshman. He got slept on the same way that NIck Mullens got slept on and probably should have been like a 5th round pick. Guys like that could find themselves in like round 3 (Cody Kessler), or go undrafted. Is there a real difference between Purdy and Bailey Zappe (the latter obviously played in a very open offense that threw the ball a lot so last year's stats are way up compared to Purdy)? Truthfully, probably not. Same projection. One went 4th, one as the last pick in the draft. Some of that is preference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Biggest issues i saw were that he was late on a couple of reads and he missed a couple of wide open guys just in terms of not throwing the ball which is possibly something that is just based into the offense (all of our QBs have done this a lot) because of the rigidity of the progressions. Those windows close quick...you have to be ready. 

I would imagine that the spotty "accuracy" will continue when throwing down the field or to the intermediate boundaries when the guy isn't pretty open. I think that's just something you have to live with. However, if Shanny can get those guys open, I think he can hit that more often than not if they have a decent amount of space. The aiyuk throw notwithstanding. 

• Like 1