Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

Aside from the nostalgia and the feeling of a wasted career (because let's be honest, if in February of 2011 you said Rodgers would go on to win 4 MVPs but would never get back to the Super Bowl, I'd have called you crazy), the smart decision is to move on. 

This isn't the 70s and 80s anymore. I keep hearing horror stories of that era, but the NFL knows that parity is essential to maximize success. Those days are over.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, VonKarman said:

It's not Rodgers who you trade, it's Rodgers and 60M fully guaranteed+a second year with an injury guarantee. That contract has a huge negative value.

It's BOTH .. Rodgers and his contract is a big issue but there will be 2-3 teams/owners who want Rodgers for whatever reason and will pay for him.  His contract to the new team isn't that bad compared to others.  Let's face it, Rodgers going elsewhere isn't what was expected to begin with but it certainly would be the best outcome for the Packers.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We definitely saw enough good from Love to give him a starting opportunity.  It's the perfect jumping off point with #12.  Well actually last off-season was the right time, but the front office gets a do-over.  If they pass it up again then I think it's fair to put every single one of them on the hot season.  Another non-playoff season with #12 at the helm and they all get canned.

This is how I see it. Last season in hindsight would have been the best time to move on but it is completely understandable not doing that based on 12’s performance and team potential. I would have pulled the trigger but I’m not an actual GM with jobs on the line.  It’s not realistic to trade the B2B MVP. Just like in hindsight it was not the right move to break the “no 3rd contract” rule, you still do it for an all pro LT. That LT promptly blew up his knee in practice and that arguably derailed our “all in” seasons as much as anything. 

If they bring him back, they should be prepared to deal with whatever the outcome is and no postseason run would mean it was not worth it. If they trade him, there will probably be a little grace period but they better show why they drafted and developed a first round QB and handed him the keys. Option 2 is much more intriguing for me. 

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Agree except for the Bucs. The reason Brady went there was because of all the pieces in place.

They did add some critical finishing touches, like Gronk, Suh, etc though. And those players would not have signed there if not for Brady. I imagine Rodgers will have the same effect.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sandy said:

They did add some critical finishing touches, like Gronk, Suh, etc though. And those players would not have signed there if not for Brady. I imagine Rodgers will have the same effect.

Gronk was probably still viewed at a top end TE at the time.  But maybe not elite anymore due to injuries.

Suh then and now was a journeyman, right?  Spot starter, rotational guy, but the same guy he was in his prime.

Just pointing those two out to make this point...  Very good players, but not in their primes anymore.

Who exactly has joined the Packers because Rodgers is there? Cobb?  And...and...and....

I mean, his #1 target bailed on him last season, despite getting offered more money to stay in Green Bay.

Then his arguably #2 targeted bailed on him as well.

So maybe we have Lewis returning because of Rodgers?  He isn't in the same tier as Suh or Gronk were.  Neither is Cobb.

Anyone else sign as a FA because of Rodgers?  I'm legit asking.  Because there has to be someone.  Like maybe Peppers.  Though I don't know if he ever said that.  Woodson came here because we offered him the most money, he did not want to be here.  I assume Pickett came here because we offered him the most money.  Campbell too.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I only watched them against the lions this year, i am surprised to see how bad their statlines are. 

I guess tennessee is the spot 

Is 2023 Rodgers really much better than Tannehill? I don't think he is.  

On 1/29/2023 at 4:15 PM, Old Guy said:

Here are Rodgers landing spots in order of where I think he will end up:

1. Las Vegas - reunited and it fails spectacularly.

2. San Francisco - Shanahan and Lynch are tired of getting close.

3. Miami - Tua should retire. 

4. NY Jets - Probably most others favorites. 

Vegas 1.   Then the Jets at 2.  Then Tennessee at 3. If and only if Tua retires then Miami at the 4 spot.  Then San Fran in theory, but a lot would have to happen there and the Pack won't trade him to them to boot.

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Frank Reich has said they're looking for stability at QB. If he means stability beyond 2023, not sure trading for Rodgers makes sense. 

Carolina never really made sense for many reasons.  I never really chalked them up as likely Rodgers' fits.