2023 FA Targets

dll2000

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

A couple of things here...

Pole/Flus & Morgan all had a hand in the treatment of Jenkins and it worked...it motivated a guy who from college has been known to need a different approach...the fact they saw he was a guard so early was a big plus...

Dieter is nothing more than a guy who shouldn't be on this team next season...

Thomas was on the practice squad instead of Carter for a reason and as much as I like both it wasn't a shock a team as beaten up as the Rams were always going to be in the market to take one...

Borom was needed to RT in mini camp since we didn't have Leatherwood or even Reiff until TC.

Bottom line is we have the #1 rushing offence in the NFL and haven't gotten Fields killed in every game...that is a big improvement from last season and when you consider we lost our starting centre for basically the entire season...Whitehair & Jenkins have been in and out of the lineup...rotating door at RT...only constant has been a 5th round rookie LT who came from a terrible FBS school and now looks like he can be a long term starter...credit where credit is due. 

Always good and interesting to read an argument and find yourself agreeing with both sides, at least you guys are shooting straight here.  My mind is that there have been some baffling decisions with personel, but also that the unit is probably performing way better than you'd expect given the parts of the whole, but also that while Fields has taken a lot of sackes especially early, he's also taking a lot of pressure off the OL both by actually evading and also by making the defense dedicate bodies to keeping him behind the line.  

This staff as whole but OL in particular has done some odd tricks, but at the same time you have to admit that if you gave a knowledgable fan a list with these dudes on it you'd be expecting lead last in everything.  They're not GOOD but they're not the worst.  Think of the weird rotations along the OL that don't make sense to me but also haven't directly led to QB eulogies.  Let's start Peterman the next two games to find out (kidding but not really, I'm still OK packing Fields for the year)

Going forward I would absolutely love the Bears to spend big on an OT and C,  spend medium on G or swing guy and still draft OT and/or C in the first two round.  DL is a disaster but unless we really see us contending in 2023 (Maybe? If everything drops right it's possible..) I'd hate to dedicate the most premium assets to DL when we need to keep our QB's slow-turning head on all season. 

Amusing thread to all this is that the only disagreement on Mustipher seems to be not whether he's bad or not, but how bad and in what ways.  Kind of reminds me of when we collectively started to figure out Mitch was not getting better*

*Shortly after I reviewed a lot of tape and delcared him the future after 2018

• Like 1

The only thing I will add is that regardless of who is better or not, Eiselen nor should anyone anyone be rotating at center. That would affect the QB way to much, by default because of injuries I think Mustardman was the best center on the roster and I am really hoping that get upgraded this offseason.

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

The only thing I will add is that regardless of who is better or not, Eiselen nor should anyone anyone be rotating at center. That would affect the QB way to much, by default because of injuries I think Mustardman was the best center on the roster and I am really hoping that get upgraded this offseason.

I like this take on it.

While I understand that this is a tank season so I can kind of overlook it this year, from here on if there is a starter that is the level of Mustipher and they AREN'T a replacement due to injury then I consider it a total disservice to the team and Fields. The bar simply has to be higher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't mind this at all...in a lesser role he can offer a lot of different things.

It wouldnt surprise me even if he was a guy that was cut in the final cuts. Could just be a guy to help new WRs learn the offense and all its adjustments. As a 4-6 WR I'm fine with him though. Him starting 15 games though... 🤢  Had enough of that this season.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

It wouldnt surprise me even if he was a guy that was cut in the final cuts. Could just be a guy to help new WRs learn the offense and all its adjustments. As a 4-6 WR I'm fine with him though. Him starting 15 games though... 🤢  Had enough of that this season.

For me he is a #5 or #6 who can offer you a big deep threat target...like you said I think he can teach a lot of new receivers the ropes and I expect him to make the roster but it just has to be in that lesser role.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Money is all good as well.

League minimum for a 6th year player next year is $1,080,000. All he did here was assure himself a TC roster spot, and for him to accept that now, 2 months before FA, means he knows his NFL future as anything beyond a depth piece is pretty bleak. It also shows that Poles is appropriately keenly aware of what he is and what he is not. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I always assumed we were keeping one of ESB or Harry, so in my projections this answers that.

I would still also keep Henry on a similar deal, but only for those to to raise the floor of the WR room. Being the #4/5 or preferably #5/6 would be great. They cant be #3/4 though.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:04 AM, dll2000 said:

We saw Dieter last week and in preseason.

Ah found it.

Yeah, thanks for making me look like a ****** Dieter.   I stuck up for you, you bastard!

Way to lay an egg on your big moment.

I can hear that Slim Shady song playing - the Aerosmith rip off one.

!  music video GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I always assumed we were keeping one of ESB or Harry, so in my projections this answers that.

I would still also keep Henry on a similar deal, but only for those to to raise the floor of the WR room. Being the #4/5 or preferably #5/6 would be great. They cant be #3/4 though.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Don't want either playing significant reps unless filling in for an injury temporarily but as far as depth goes we have done worse.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I can not describe how much I want us to be in on Hopkins...he flat out changes how any DC views this offence and helps slide every one into their natural roles at the skill positions.

I’d be all about it, even knowing it’s probably a 2-year add. 

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’d be in to bring Harry back on the same type of deal and let them compete for 1 roster spot, but either the staff or Fields (or both) seem to see less in Harry than in ESB. Even with all the WR injuries he can’t get looks. 7 total targets in 6 games, and never more than 2 in any of them. To his credit he’s had 6 catches on the 7 targets, including a TD and a circus catch on a deep ball. Curious why he continues to see such a small share compared to ESB and Pettis, especially with Pettis having drops issues all season.