MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Just now, PackFan13 said:

Lets not show the stands anymore. Some idiot bengal fans throwing their hands up in frustration with the game canceled... after they nearly watched someone die on the field. 

I'll be that guy. If I paid a few hundred bucks and took work off on the Tuesday I'd be bummed and probably throw my hands up thinking no one would see me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

They kind of do, but they all suck. They have protocols for games being rescheduled, for a team choosing not to continue playing, but the specifics of this game, how late in the season it is, how important it is, make their standard plans all kind of suck. They could cancel it and call it a tie, but that still takes the #1 seed away from Buffalo. Buffalo could forfeit, but the same. Cincy could forfeit, but the opposite. Rescheduling is often doable, but with a Monday night game this late in the season it removes all the easy rescheduling solutions.

I 100% agree with everyone saying all that matters right now is Hamlin, and they absolutely can't carry on with this game. But it is the job of the NFL, in the end, to come up with a plan beyond just stopping play tonight. I imagine they wanted some kind of solution before calling it officially.

Correct.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'll be that guy. If I paid a few hundred bucks and took work off on the Tuesday I'd be bummed and probably throw my hands up thinking no one would see me.

Well you shouldn't be able to have a John Stewart avy after that comment. 

1 minute ago, BlaqOptic said:

Again, what did Skip say that was wrong there? He literally says the regular season outcome seems so irrelvant now, but the NFL cares too much about the outcome of this game given AFC seedings. He gives his condolences in the last sentence. And I HATE Skip and his ilk.

If the game was between two teams out of playoff contention do you think Skip tweets about the implications of the game? No. The magnitude of the game doesn’t mean the players should be out there tonight after what happened. The easy thing to figure out is when to play the game, the NFL made it through a ton of covid reschedules two years ago, they’ll easily figure this out. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is a failure of preparation - all of this could have been brainstormed in advance. And players were stuck in limbo because a $15 billion company is too lazy to develop a plan for how to cancel a game on short notice.

It is easier said than done to have a contingency plan for any possible game being canceled. A lot of their traditional plans don't work here. Sunday game, they'd move it to Monday, can't do that. Move this too late it impacts next week. Void or cancel the game and you impact the post season. This is an unprecedented, difficult situation for all involved.

• Like 5