Browns fire DC Joe Woods

MWil23

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Yikes. I think I'd take Priefer back though tbh.

Stefanski needs to save his job next season though.

They need somebody who is capable of putting pressure on the opposing offenses to adjust. Woods scheme was far too passive and rarely did we see any sort of attempt to force offenses into mistakes by aggressive playcalling. Too much vanilla sit back on your heels and keep things in front of you playcalling.

Ive been advocating it for about 5 years, but Im putting a call into Wade Phillips.

The Browns could just trade away all of their talent for draft picks and start the Plan 2.0 ( or 3.0) 😇

Seriously though, I think Watson bounces back next season.  Problem is they are paying some serious money now and it will eat into their players.

Edited by jebrick

He's victim of the Peter Principle. He was a fantastic DB coach for the Broncos during the Manning years but was terrible when taking over at DC. Then again, did well as the 49ers DB coach before being terrible as the Browns DC. Whomever brings him on to be their new DB coach is likely getting a really good position coach that won't have many prospects for advancement in his near future and that continuity is very valuable imo.

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

They need somebody who is capable of putting pressure on the opposing offenses to adjust. Woods scheme was far too passive and rarely did we see any sort of attempt to force offenses into mistakes by aggressive playcalling. Too much vanilla sit back on your heels and keep things in front of you playcalling.

Ive been advocating it for about 5 years, but Im putting a call into Wade Phillips.

And somehow, our D that was built on not giving up big plays and making teams take the proverbial "long bloody road" into the endzone, gave up big play after big play due to terrible tackling and blown coverage assignments.

Joe Woods has to be one of the worst X's and O's guys I've ever seen operate at the NFL level.