Who is the second best NFL player of all time?

RaidersAreOne

Who is the second best NFL player of all time?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the second best NFL player of all time?

• Jerry Rice
    • Reggie White
    • Lawrence Taylor
    • Deion Sanders
    • Jim Brown
    • Joe Montana
    • Walter Payton
    • Other and who?

It is difficult to name any player as the GOAT because the game keeps evolving.  Before the SB era there were legendary players who changed the game and were considered the best of all time but they wouldn't stack up against today's players.  Brady is the most successful player in this era at the most important position in the game today but he wasn't the "best" physically.  He reminds me a lot of Bart Starr.  Neither guy was going to blow you away with his athleticism but if you needed a QB to win the game those 2 are who you would want under center in their primes.  I find it kinda funny how we love to rate everybody and everything.

I still think at their respective positions that Moss was a better WR than Brady was a QB and Lawrence Taylor was a better LB than Brady. I could also make a case for Sweetness, Barry Sanders, Reggie White, and Lott. I'd say Moss but his lack of effort in OAK really digs at me.

But just like draft positions having a weighted spot due to positions, Brady being the best QB would put him well over the others. Manning and Montana would be over them as well for me.

23 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I still don't see Brady as the GOAT. Never had a transcendent peak where he was head and shoulders above his peers, like Rice, LT, Jim Brown, Reggie White. 

The fact that Brady played in an era (really, eras) with so many other great QBs (Warner, Favre, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes to name a few) and was still as successful as he was is a point in his favor. Never had a transcendent multi-year peak? In terms of what, like, stats?

I'm going to be a rebel and say LT.

Jerry Rice was drafted by the defending champs; LT was drafted a perennial loser. Teams had to develop new schemes just to have the hope of stopping him. We haven't had a defensive player win MVP since him.

LT is one of the few things that makes Belichick smile.

Edited by biggie.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:31 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

goat-e1550090414433.jpg?fit=720,720&ssl=

The GOAT is absolutely undisputed. Tom Brady is the best NFL player of all-time. However who do you think is the second best?

I'll dispute it.

There. It was disputed.

TB12 has had two HoF careers, one after the other. DEacon Jones may claim higher highs but no one can approach the longevity.