Saints Sign Derek Carr (4 Years 150m)

goldfishwars

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fair but IIRC lots of media guys were blocked too. This leads to another issue Raider fans had with him which is mental toughness. He's seemingly a cheesy leader (Vibes of Wilson these days) and lost the lockerroom twice in his career with the Raiders. 

Any criticism or when times get tough, he folds and hides.

You can't blame him for losing the locker room... cmon man. After the whole Ruggs/Gruden situation last year and this year with Josh McD seen every game on the sideline with not a single player within 10 feet of him? Not sure how that has to do with Carr.

I think Carr is a good leader, and is willing to take the blame. He's also very religious... some guys like that, some don't, and are annoyed by it.

I think he'll do really well on the Saints and will have a good defense for the first time in his career. He won't feel like he needs to be perfect to win a game. Depending on what the other NFC South teams do, I'd be surprised if the Saints aren't making the playoffs consistently the next few years barring any major injuries. 

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The OL and overall core the Saints will field this year will be better than what we had on the field last year. I genuinely believe that. Carr doesn't need a #1 to be effective. He needs multiple effective options and New Orleans has that, especially Kamara, who will have a HUGE year with Carr in the pass game.

Yeah…I said that the OL is better in NO. 

The rest of the weapons on offense? You’re banking on Olave elevating, Michael Thomas being on the team, available, healthy, and the sameish guy he was 4 years ago, Kamara having the best year of his career, and/or the Saints adding some big pieces (probably at TE or WR2/3). Having Adams and the best performing RB in the league (for the year) is more impactful than a solid WR and a pass catching RB. 

Like, compare them all across the board - is Olave going to be better/more of an impact than 2022 Adams? No, not on his own. Is MT going to be on the team? If he is, will he be healthy? If he is, will he be available? If he is, will he be nearly as a good as he was 4 years ago? Will Kamara miss any time with a suspension? Will he be healthy? If he doesn’t miss time and he is healthy, is he going to be as good/impactful as 1st Team All-Pro Jacobs? Johnson/Trautman are  probably better than what LV was fielding at TE, but they’re not huge needle movers. And then what? We’re comparing Shaheed and Collins. 

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Are you also going to wear a cheesy Kobe half sleeve with it?

What's that? Like a Kobe Bryant t-shirt? I have a black Carr jersey, a white never worn one that was the last Christmas present my dad gave me before he died, a Mack black one, a Janikowski black one, a handful of random Raiders that were on 90 man roster but didn't really make the NFL, a Buccaneers Aqib Talib, black DMC, a Kaepernick salute to service jersey, and a couple Brett Favre various teams some signed. Oh and my in person fantasy draft jersey... a white Browns Brady Quinn #10. For basketball I only have a piece of the court for the Lakers signed by Jerry West, but I don't like basketball jerseys.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

Just now, Trojan said:

What's that? Like a Kobe Bryant t-shirt? I have a black Carr jersey, a white never worn one that was the last Christmas present my dad gave me before he died, a Mack black one, a Janikowski black one, a handful of random Raiders that were on 90 man roster but didn't really make the NFL, a Buccaneers Aqib Talib, black DMC, and a couple Brett Favre various teams some signed. Oh and my in person fantasy draft jersey... a white Browns Brady Quinn #10. For basketball I only have a piece of the court for the Lakers signed by Jerry West, but I don't like basketball jerseys.

r669456_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Carr_D_Getty_1288454613.jpg

This is what I am referring to. DC was a huge Kobe fan and wears a sleeve in honour of him. He used to note Mamba Mentality which is hilarious given his mentality is why he's not a top 10 QB.

• Like 1

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

r669456_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Carr_D_Getty_1288454613.jpg

This is what I am referring to. DC was a huge Kobe fan and wears a sleeve in honour of him. He used to note Mamba Mentality which is hilarious given his mentality is why he's not a top 10 QB.

oh the underarmor thing lol, nah I'm too fat for that it'd look super dumb maybe wear one around my gut to see if a jersey fits better lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You’re banking on Olave elevating, Michael Thomas being on the team, available, healthy, and the sameish guy he was 4 years ago

Just a couple things I would point out. I don’t think many Saints fans question Michael Thomas’s ability when on the field. He was very good for us in the 3 games he played last season. It’s not a question of talent for him. His availability for a full season on the other hand is a big question mark.

I’d also venture to say there was an aspect of Olave’s game last year that was very underutilized due to limitations at QB. He was an excellent deep threat coming out of college and also displayed an ability to get open deep last year, but Dalton either missed him or didn’t pull the trigger when the opportunity was there. I believe Carr will be an improvement in that regard and will allow us to fully utilize a guy like Olave.

41 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The OL and overall core the Saints will field this year will be better than what we had on the field last year. I genuinely believe that. Carr doesn't need a #1 to be effective. He needs multiple effective options and New Orleans has that, especially Kamara, who will have a HUGE year with Carr in the pass game.

Chris Olave projects as a legit number one receiver but if Kamara misses significant time their offensive core is pretty weak.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Imagine paying 1/6th of your total Salary Cap for... Derek Carr.

it's just out of control when it's contract times for QB's .  I actually thought Carr is medocre at best and that with a good run game, elite WR1 and decent OL.  Imagine if he was on teams that really lacked that? Saints should be a good spot for him,  but overall it seems steep price to pay. 

Mahomes and Burrow are worth their deals relatively speaking, the rest I can't say are , most aren't even close .   Can't hit the QB's , allowing them to play into their 40's and they get paid2-3x as much as everyone else? 

Something seems a bit off here

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Not sure how this is possible but it is the reason I never , ever pay attention to the overall numbers of these massive contracts when announced.

Cap Wizard/Guru I am not. People freaking out, acting like they are. 🍺