Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

There are too many @BillySpikes wannabees here with aggregated takes. Have an original thought.

@warfelg@diamondbull424@AFlaccoSeagulls@ramssuperbowl99@JaguarCrazy2832@NYRaider@Art_Vandalay@Nabbs4u@AngusMcFife@El Ramster@ET80

You've all been somewhat active on this thread. Have an original opinion. Which do you think is most likely? This is the internet. No one (probably) knows where you live to hunt you down for your take.

Pick one. A, B, or C. 

A) I don't see anyone trading for him and I don't see him signing an extension before the season. I'd guess it'll play out like Dak/Kirk who were both tagged twice. Question is, does he get traded like Cousins or extended like Dak next spring?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

There are three possible notable verifiable claims at this point:
A) Lamar plays for the Ravens week 1 of the 2023 season
B) Lamar plays for another team week 1 of the 2023 season
C) Lamar doesn't play for any NFL team week 1 of the 2023 season or week 1 of the 2023 NFL season doesn't happen

I don't think B happens at all. Only three ways it can happen

1. A team signs Lamar to a contract - This was never going to happen. Ignore the two FRPs. No team is going to make a bunch of roster moves to get Lamar's new contract to fit on their top-51 on the chance the Ravens do not match.
  2. A team trades for Lamar - The Ravens do not want to let Lamar go. Before March 2nd, they were leaking about how Lamar wasn't picking up the phone and being part of the process. Then they got quiet until Monday when Lamar put out for everyone he requested a trade. All of sudden, team sources are saying they've been negotiating with the man. They may not want to pay him his demand, but they value him. And that Nonexclusive Franchise Tag caps whatever they think he's worth to two FRPs at-most. They can't even get players back on the trade. Lamar may have requested a trade, but the Ravens aren't trading him. He's not available.
  3. The Ravens rescind the tag - Lamar becomes a free agent. Baltimore gets a compensatory 3rd for losing him. Highly unlikely, but more of a chance it happens than a team signing him to a contract for the Ravens to match. 

Before we found out he asked for the trade, I would have said he signs the tender or a 1-year contract to pump his guaranteed salary closer to the exclusive franchise tag when it gets set. After the trade request, Monken saying he still hasn't spoken to Lamar, and Lamar stopping with the niceties? I don't know. I think holding out is a real option. Hold out to week 10, sign the tender, collect the remaining 8 game checks. He probably doesn't even get played if the Ravens are 1-9. He also would be coming in with 0 knowledge of Monken's offense. Then we do it all again next year with the Exclusive Franchise Tag.

Edited by typecast
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

?... Pick one or GTFO

I promise a football to anyone who picks one of 3 until @Ray Reed mans up and does it

Think you should go back and read our forum, my guy, considering I predicted option 3 literally the day the non-exclusive tag was placed on him.

But keep being mad that Lamar DID end up being a drama queen, who now everyone knows was the hold up in negotiations with a ridiculous $ demand who now looks like an idiot to 95% of the NFL fan base. I would be too if I was as consistently wrong, and snarky while doing it, as you have been on a reg basis the last year or so of football

This whole “PICK SPECIFICALLY FROM MY CHOICES” shtick is just a sad attempt at you not wanting to acknowledge the general conversation surrounding Lamar by his detractors (myself included) has come to fruition, and you want to deflect at every milestone by myopically reducing nuanced commentary on the kid and the situation. It’s sad, you’re angry, and no one cares. You’re not the edgy, no-nonsense, voice of reason internet character you think you are, lmao.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Dude... it's a JOB... and an EMPLOYER... 

fan is short for fanatic, which is vastly different from a perspective of a bunch of people who cheer an entertainer than what 99-100% of us do here.

Nobody shows up to pay money to pay for my merchandise or memorabilia or a ticket to watch me negotiate a contract or teach my students.

You’re absolutely right on it being a contract employee situation, but expecting a fan to see this as a 1:1 correlation is beyond ridiculous here.

And if you don’t think there are burned bridges and hurt feelings in any job or career field, then I hate to break it to you, but that’s not the case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

There are too many @BillySpikes wannabees here with aggregated takes. Have an original thought.

@warfelg@diamondbull424@AFlaccoSeagulls@ramssuperbowl99@JaguarCrazy2832@NYRaider@Art_Vandalay@Nabbs4u@AngusMcFife@El Ramster@ET80

You've all been somewhat active on this thread. Have an original opinion. Which do you think is most likely? This is the internet. No one (probably) knows where you live to hunt you down for your take.

Pick one. A, B, or C. 

Have an original opinion by picking one that's been preselected for you? LOL

Playing this game it's C very easily for me.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

This whole “PICK SPECIFICALLY FROM MY CHOICES” shtick is just a sad attempt at you not wanting to acknowledge the general conversation surrounding Lamar by his detractors (myself included) has come to fruition, and you want to deflect at every milestone by myopically reducing nuanced commentary on the kid and the situation. It’s sad, you’re angry, and no one cares. You’re not the edgy, no-nonsense, voice of reason internet character you think you are, lmao.

I joked but its sad. Starts with "have an original thought" then asks us to pick from his own pre-selected thoughts.

I honestly think it lies somewhere in-between.  Do I think Baltimore wants to keep him and continue what they've built? Absolutely.  Do I think he want's out? Possibly, leaning 55/45 on he wants out.  I hope he's smart enough to know they built something that works around his strengths.  

He wants original thinking - I got one for you.  Do I think Lamar really wants all that guaranteed from anyone? No.  I think a big part of why he's asking for that much is because they haven't invested in getting a good WR for him.  I think if a team with a better WR group, average RB's, and a decent line could get him for less guaranteed than Baltimore. I could see him thinking if they aren't going to pay anyone else on offense then they might as well pay him for being the offense.  We may never learn the real truth here.

Like I kinda laid out a few pages ago - I think the most likely is after the draft, some team hoping for a QB that misses on one, approaches Baltimore with a different offer and asks to build a package around Lamar signing the tender, getting traded, and getting his deal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I joked but its sad. Starts with "have an original thought" then asks us to pick from his own pre-selected thoughts.

What's wrong with the options? Literally one of those 3 will happen. Probably should have worded it make a prediction instead of "original thought". I'll work on my edgy, no-nonsense, voice of reason internet character.

9 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Pick one. A, B, or C. 

It's B or C.

I think you forget, I've been in this spot before. Once upon a time, Deshaun Watson was a Houston Texan. He decided he didn't want to be a Texan anymore... and he wasn't going to be a Texan under any circumstances. Once a player puts in that trade request, it's *OVER*. Trust me - I've been here before, that bridge has been napalmed into the stone ages.

Also - Don't think it'll take 30 sexual harassment lawsuits to keep Jackson off the field, it doesn't take much for Jackson to say his knee is still injured and sit out. The Ravens can't force him to play (as we saw in the playoffs). We've also seen other players not named Deshaun Watson do this as well (Trent Williams, Jalen Ramsey) so A is probably impossible at this point. To make it crystal clear - Lamar Jackson has played his last down as a Baltimore Raven. I held out hope on Watson as well (pre SA allegations) but trust me on this. He's gone.

The "happily ever after" scenario for all involved is B: Jackson to the Colts for 1.4 and additional assets (what those are, I don't know - but think Matt Stafford to the Rams-type return). C is the next likely position and it's a tenuous position to be in and you'll find a growing resentment towards everyone involved (even without SA allegations). 

This is going to be an ugly divorce.

• Like 5